The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Insurance

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
chelynnah said:
Grrrr just got my renewals and they went up 65% last year, and again almost doubled again this year!  AND this year they have removed the No Excess option completely.  Not a happy camper since it was me that recommended them to everyone.
On the other hand, have been round a few websites that offer similar cover (ie petplan etc) and to be honest they're around the same prices now, so I'm not going to get anything better for any less.  I wouldn't have swapped Chelsea as she's got good Sr cover with them, and has an ongoing noise phobia, but would have considered changing the whippets, but really - there's nothing in it looking round.  I did look at some of the others recommended, but while it would be paying less, the cover would be less as well (ie a set total per condition rather than that total being reinstated every year).

So we're sticking with it, but sadly.

Wendy

Wendy, have you tried the NFU. They have been very good with us. Don't know how it would compare to what you have already got though. :thumbsup:

Wendy,

Have a look at Argos, we got Dylan's renewal from M&S and it was ridiculous. We now have him with Argos, if you look at their web-site you can get a quote immediately. I think we have the platinum cover. I can't remember what the saving was (Peter's Department) but it was tremendous. The silly thing is that both M&S and Argos are underwritten by AXA. Sparky's renewal is not due yet but if he's the same then he will be transferred as well.

Jenny

quintessence said:
Wendy,
Have a look at Argos, we got Dylan's renewal from M&S and it was ridiculous.  We now have him with Argos, if you look at their web-site you can get a quote immediately. I think we have the platinum cover.  I can't remember what the saving was (Peter's Department) but it was tremendous.  The silly thing is that both M&S and Argos are underwritten by AXA.  Sparky's renewal is not due yet but if he's the same then he will be transferred as well. 

Jenny

I've just jumped ship from M&S to Argos Platinum, too. Almost identical policy, both underwritten by Axa as you say, but one is £20 a month and the other just over £9 a month, both with a £50 excess. Go figure :wacko:

One thing I would say when you're shopping around is to make sure the cover is for the life of the pet, not for the year. Very few do lifetime cover. Argos Plat and M&S both do. I couldnt find any others (but that's not to say they're not out there). Lifetime means if your pet gets ie diabetes this year its a rolling cover and they're covered next year too and for the rest of their life. Other policies will automatically exclude it as a pre exisiting condition when the policy comes up for renewal, so make sure you're really getting value for money when you choose your insurer :thumbsup:

I looked at the Argos cover, but reading the Platinum cover, although it covers for life, it's a maximum of £6,000 per condition. Although that sounds like a lot, I'm not sure it's worth the risk of them developing something like Diabetes or a long term thing that could use that up in a few short years... I did look at it though before posting here. And the quote I got for that was just under £20, Will keep looking round, but for the moment it's easier to stay.

Thanks for the suggestions. Haven't seen NFU, but will have a look at that as well.

Wendy

Does anyone use the Kennel Clubs insurance?

Also how do people who race or lure course go on as most insurance companys seem to exclude racing. :(

Argh just been sent our quote from M&S for our next 12 months - £296! Look's like we'll be moving.......

Hi,

Can anyone here recommend me a good Lifetime policy, prefarably with No excess please?

I'm afraid I don't know of any other pet insurance that has a 'no excess' policy :(

A lot of people I know who were with M&S have changed to AXA - there is a £50 excess, but apparently cheaper premiums for a similar level of cover. I think you can get a quote online on their website.

The trouble with Pet Insurance is once you have made a claim it is very difficult to change, as any previous conditions will be excluded from a new policy. I rather cynically believe that M&S deliberately pulled people in with cheap premiums and no excess policies for a few years, and now they have a good client base they are hiking the prices up.

FeeFee said:
I'm afraid I don't know of any other pet insurance that has a 'no excess' policy  :(
A lot of people I know who were with M&S have changed to AXA - there is a £50 excess, but apparently cheaper premiums for a similar level of cover.  I think you can get a quote online on their website.

The trouble with Pet Insurance is once you have made a claim it is very difficult to change, as any previous conditions will be excluded from a new policy.  I rather cynically believe that M&S deliberately pulled people in with cheap premiums and no excess policies for a few years, and now they have a good client base they are hiking the prices up.

"rather cynically believe that M&S deliberately pulled people in with cheap premiums and no excess policies for a few years, and now they have a good client base they are hiking the prices up".

or it could be that to offer £11-£15 no excess per month policy's they had to get high volume membership with a lower % claiming and probaly found that a higher % claimed hence hiked premiums straight forward business their not in it to lose money, i wonder why the Kennel Club dont offer a non profit insurance for their members? their premiums are one of the highest i came across

davethehorse said:
So far the ones above and Halifax are giving the best quotes for Willow. Halifax cover seems a little bit better than healthy pets; but I have to look into all the ins and outs of it properly...brain is fried right now!! :wacko:

Interesting that Axa underwrites Healthy Pets, yet healthy pets offer me a better price. :blink: Haven't checked who underwrites Halifax yet.

I need a cup of tea!

Happy Humber said:
Does anyone use the Kennel Clubs insurance? Also how do people who race or lure course go on as most insurance companys seem to exclude racing. :(

I rang and checked with M&S they will cover for racing, and lure coursing, as long as there is no prize money involved.

im with m&s last year it was £150 for the year with no excess, its due the end of this month and theyve quoted me £210 for the year with £50 excess :rant: so ill be shopping around :cheers:

Evie said:
davethehorse said:
So far the ones above and Halifax are giving the best quotes for Willow. Halifax cover seems a little bit better than healthy pets; but I have to look into all the ins and outs of it properly...brain is fried right now!! :wacko:

Interesting that Axa underwrites Healthy Pets, yet healthy pets offer me a better price. :blink: Haven't checked who underwrites Halifax yet.

I need a cup of tea!

I have read all the threads re: insurance. I have just had a quote for Ruby from Halifax for Halifax Xtra which they assured me [on the phone] IS a lifetime policy i.e. an illness will be paid for on a lifetime basis for up to £6000 per year. The premium is £95.64 p.a. or £7.97 per month. This is the best quote I have found for such cover. They are underwritten by AXA.

Has anyone else used Halifax? If so, what do they think?

Pauline

maggie217 said:
Evie said:
davethehorse said:

I need a cup of tea!

I have read all the threads re: insurance. I have just had a quote for Ruby from Halifax for Halifax Xtra which they assured me [on the phone] IS a lifetime policy i.e. an illness will be paid for on a lifetime basis for up to £6000 per year. The premium is £95.64 p.a. or £7.97 per month. This is the best quote I have found for such cover. They are underwritten by AXA.

Has anyone else used Halifax? If so, what do they think?

Pauline

http://www.hbosplc.com/media/pressreleases...section=Halifax

good cover but beware it was launched sept 07 so they will be inticing customers with cheap policys they will go up next year just like M&S if you have claimed for a on-going illness they will have you locked in

Thanks for that, good to know

Pauline

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got two dogs with Argos and one with M&S - and the renewal for M&S has gone up again! Grrr.

Healthy Pets gold cover seems similar to Argos, but cheaper - has anyone had any experience with them? I know they've been mentioned in this thread, but no one has said whether they thought they were any good or not.

Ditto Halifax.

Healthy Pets is cheaper.

Halifax is the same price as Argos, but the amount for vet fees is £5000 per year rather than in total, which is good (as Wendy said before, £5000 could get eaten up quite quickly with some illnesses).

Want to be sure I'm making the right decision here :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Shamefully I still haven't sorted out insurance for Willow... and just left Archie's M&S insurance run on despite saying I was going to switch him to a cheaper one with lifetime cover. (Thankfully no ongoing illness or claims as yet; touch wood!)

masta said:
http://www.hbosplc.com/media/pressreleases...section=Halifax
good cover but beware it was launched sept 07 so they will be inticing customers with cheap policys they will go up next year just like M&S if you have claimed for a on-going illness they will have you locked in

The article you link to is September 05, not Sept 07 as you stated. ;)

We have just rescued a 3 yr old retired greyhound and are shopping around for pet insurance... What a HEADACHE!

So I want lifetime insurance so that if he develops a lifelong disease we'll be covered - has anyone ever used AnimalFriends? been quoted lifetime cover for £14.59 p month whcih seems very reasonable (however excess is £99) i'm thinking there must be some kind of catch?!

Or it might be like what M&S did and started off cheap then went up in price? I'm not good with understnading policy wording malarky and not sure how long they have been around for..

Petplan quoted around £25 for lifetime but they need a dog dental check up every year? I have googled dog dental check costs and can't find anything - anyone else know of this cost?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back