The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Insurance

Jack-Russell-Lover

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
So Roxy is not insured, I've been putting it off because it's confusing. I had a look at comparison sites etc. And for lifetime cover Rox would be at least £15 a month which is okay, but it was an insurer I hadn't heard of so I decided to read some reviews and they were terrible!
Then I tried ones I had heard of like petplan which was £25 a month for lifetime and even they had some dodgy reviews! Some people saying companies go out their way to avoid paying out. So I'd rather not put so much money in and have them not pay out in the end.
Anyway, after all this I have just decided to save up each week, it's easier!
Have you got insurance? Is it worth it or do you just have savings just in case?

We have insurance, went with Sainsbury's as we could get double Nectar points for a couple of years and they're underwritten by the same company that underwrites PetPlan I think. We've made one successful claim, but at this renewal we were told next year the price will go up for less cover due to his age :mad:

Having had a dog in the past who needed a lot of medical treatment, for us it is a yes. Things to consider are the potential cost of medication for lifelong conditions such as allergies, diabetes etc. or one-off very expensive costs such as your dog accidentally running on to a road and you being charged for costs and personal injury damages if a crash occurred (although it is possible to get quite cheap third party insurance). But it's a decision you have to make on balance, thinking about your dog's age and how much savings you have. The main thing for us is that insurance has lifelong cover, which means they would continue to pay costs for life if a condition continued to affect the pet after the annual renewal date (when non-lifetime cover policies would just stop).

I put money in to a seperate account, we started this many years ago, taking out for the odd vet bill and it is now well in credit. I do have third party insurance.

The Dog Trust does very good third party insurance.

I found that third-party insurance was covered by our standard household insurance. Jasper isn't insured, though we put away an amount a month into an account earmarked for large vet bills. But we are fortunate enough to have savings that would cover any treatment needed - if I was likely to find myself in a position where I simply couldn't pay for treatment he needed then I'd get him insured.

So far he hasn't needed any treatment that's cost more than around £150, but a lot of lurcher owners find they're always at the vet's getting their dogs put back together :D

Harri is insured - we've already clocked up a £700 bill just for a couple of visits and some basic tests!

We are covered with PetPlan insurance they are great but expensive

I have third party insurance in case he causes any damage but for vet bills I just have a bit of savings and go from there .I know my vet will also do a payment plan if there is anything big that comes along.

I've heard too many stories about ins not paying out after people have paid premiums for years giving excuses about things being excluded or being pre-existing.

Misty is insured through PetPlan and costs about £16 a month. In the three years we’ve had her we’ve had about two thirds of the money back due an illness and an accident :confused:
I think with any insurance, you pay it and don’t use it, or don’t pay it and need it.

Bit of a mixed bag then...
I think I'm happy to just save up. Otherwise if you put all that money in and don't have to make any claims, then that's all that money on nothing..?
Makes me feel better that I'm not being an irresponsible owner by not taking out insurance. Glad to know there are others who just save up!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back