The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Is A Whippet Suitable For Me?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
kirsty said:
As a child I grew up with four miniature Daschunds, the last one died around 4 yrs ago aged 23.
WOW! 23! That's quite incredible for a dog, isn't it? Shouldn't he be in the Guinness Book of Records?!

Check out K9 Community > K9 Breeds > General Discussion - Whippets - Robbie, A New Girlfriend.

Robbie is the dad to my new whippet pup and there were blue pups there, also look at K9 Community > K9 Breeds > General Discussion - Whippets - Buffy's Babies to see the pups.

Good luck and you are making the right move going for a whippet!

welcome to k9 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: hope you find the right pup soon :thumbsup:

Just wanted to thank everyone again for all your advice on Whippets. After a lot of thought I have decided to wait until I move house and have a much more secure garden. I live in a semi detached house with a neighbour I don't get on with who HATES animals, he throws boulders at all the cats that go into his garden and the squirrels. I told him I wanted to put a 4-5ft fence up down the divide and he went ballistic saying I'd better not and he would make sure I didn't get planning permission, as it is there is only a knee high piece of plastic green mesh dividing his garden from mine with a few bushes in between, with Whippets being so good jumpers I'd be petrified it got into his garden and he poisoned it. He has a 6ft fence around the rest of his garden and when I told him that he said it was there before he moved in and it didn't block the sunlight coming in and putting a fence in the middle would!

However it is not all bad news as I took on an eight month old toy breed a good few weeks ago and she has settled well and thinks she is a cat! The cats are all much bigger than her.

Kirsty

Which breed? Does sound like an easier soulution under the circumstances. How sad to have such a nasty neighbour- poor you. :(

have you got any pics :D we love looking at pics on here you see :thumbsup: :D

She is a Bolognese. I will try and figure out how to post pictures on this site and put some on of her.

Kirsty

Lynn-Alexandria said:
steph gee said:
kirsty said:
Hi Joanna and Steph,

Every dog barks!

If you e-mail me I will send you the address (not sure if It would be ok to put it on as the lady may not like it) don't want to upset anyone.

Basenjis dont bark. Not trying to sound picky just figured its an interesting thing to know.

True, bassenjis do not bark they just sqeel in high pitched yelp. No thanks!

Lida

Lynn-Alexandria said:
steph gee said:
kirsty said:
Hi Joanna and Steph,

Every dog barks!

If you e-mail me I will send you the address (not sure if It would be ok to put it on as the lady may not like it) don't want to upset anyone.

Basenjis dont bark. Not trying to sound picky just figured its an interesting thing to know.

True, bassenjis do not bark they just sqeel in high pitched yelp. No thanks!

Lida

Whippets are excelent with cats, provided they have grown up with them. Therefore it would be better for you to get a little puppy. Also baby would be less threatening to your cats and they will find it easier to get used to him. To get Whippet well trained on re-call you also need to start early. I start as soons the pups waddle around and are interested in treats, and continue all through their life. My dogs come immediately even from quite a distance. they know that the command COME means; come and get that snack i have in my pocket. Although I have to admit we do not have deer popping up anywhere.

Love the blues, hope you find a puppy soon.

Lida :thumbsup:

What a cute picture. Lovely how they are both cuddling into each other, looks like true love :wub:

Kirsty

Trying to post pictures not sure how!

Chime_Bailey_and_Megan.jpg

She's so cute...looks a bright and intelligent button and lively too.

Bless,

Hi Nicola,

Yes she is quite bright and loves getting pulled around the living room by her toy hanging from her mouth, she skids all over the floor with it being wooden. Does not rush to go out for a walk though! In fact walks the other way when you go to put her lead on :blink:

I have had her at training classes lately and she is the smallest breed there. She is quite worried about other dogs especially the bigger ones and freaks if they sniff at her back end, that is why I have taken her to classes so she'd get more used to facing others of her own kind :thumbsup: She came from a house with another six dogs so I think it is having to face the new dogs on her own that make her nervous as I suppose when she went out for walks before, she had all the others to be in a kind of pack with. Well that's my theory anyway!

Kirsty

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back