The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Is A Whippet Suitable For Me?

kirsty

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

I am new to this forum. I was wondering if I could ask all you experienced Whippet people a few questions.

I would really like a blue Whippet but I have four housecats and I am worried the Whippet would attack the cats. They have never been in contact with a dog of any kind before.

Is it true Whippets chase everything and anything and are a nightmare if you let them of the lead and they won't come back? How much excercise do they need a day? I have read different takes on excercise on different sites!

Are they easy to house train including paper training and chewing? I know when puppies most dogs will chew when left alone through boredom. I work from home so the dog would spend a lot of the time with me but some days I need to attend meetings. How long could a Whippet be left alone once adult? How long as a puppy? Are they bad for jumping over fences/escaping from gardens?

Is there much difference between males and females?

Would it be wise to bring an older puppy into the house that a breeder has maybe ran on a bit to see if it has show potential then decided it hasn't. As one of my friends took on a 6 month old puppy and it has worked well, though not a Whippet!

I would be grateful for some feedback

Kirsty

Hi Kirsty, Welsome to K9.

I own 1 whippet and have had another 2 previous whippets. I also have 3 cats.

I wouldnt say he dosnt chase them at all (w00t) but with my own experiences if you introduce them gradually you shouldnt have too many problems. I also have rabbits and Oscar my dog is interested more in the rabbits food than the rabbits, but he still does chase the odd wild one and squirrels - and birds too.

They are the only dogs for me :thumbsup: but dont be under the impression that they sleep all the time. As puppies they can be extremely active - Oscar is 8 months old now and is still hyper most of the time. (w00t) He gets 3 good walks a day - off the leader - as does sleep but boy takes some wearing out I can tell you. He has been a good puppy and hasnt chewed too much - just the odd thing.

I just got a new cat a couple of months ago and he still 'pins' her down but she soon gets the better of him. :wacko:

I hope you decide a whippet is the dog for you and when you do we will love to see your photos.

Hope this has been some help.

Janis

Hi Janis,

Thanks for your kind welcome and reply. Whippets certainly do look very sweet. I have heard the blue Whippets are very difficult to get hold of.

Kirsty

kirsty said:
Hi
I am new to this forum.  I was wondering if I could ask all you experienced Whippet people a few questions.

I would really like a blue Whippet but I have four housecats and I am worried the Whippet would attack the cats.  They have never been in contact with a dog of any kind before.

Puppies will chase cats! Generally, the cat will fight back and should be fine, but I have found it useful to discourage my whippets from boistrous play as I don't think it is very fair on the cat. Cats will usually adjust and can be very fierce, watch a puppies eyes with claws!

Is it true Whippets chase everything and anything and are a nightmare if you let them of the lead and they won't come back?

They will come back if you train them too, but if they catch site of some-thing and begin to chase, it is not guaranteed, I am wary of letting my Archie off if it is an area with roads around.

How much excercise do they need a day?  I have read different takes on excercise on different sites!

I would say 20 minutes is fine, with perhaps longer at the week-ends. Some of that must be free running though

Are they easy to house train including paper training and chewing?  I know when puppies most dogs will chew when left alone through boredom.  I work from home so the dog would spend a lot of the time with me but some days I need to attend meetings.  How long could a Whippet be left alone once adult?  How long as a puppy?  Are they bad for jumping over fences/escaping from gardens?

Puppies chew, my little one is 10 weeks old and is a horror, Archie wasn't too bad, I make sure he has lots of chewy things, pig's ears and hide bones are good. I would leave a pup for no more than 2 hours, I have only mamged an hour once with mine in two weeks saying that. As long as they are in a safe environment, it should be fine. Some people like to use a crate, they are not for me, but many swear by them.

Once an adult, up to about 6 hours is plenty.

As for Houdini acts, secure your garden, and check for holes in fences or hedges. I wouldn't say they would be likely to jump, but will take an opportunity if it arises

Not much, male whippets are generally good natured and quite bidable, the females will have seasons but both are fine

Would it be wise to bring an older puppy into the house that a breeder has maybe ran on a bit to see if it has show potential then decided it hasn't.  As one of my friends took on a 6 month old puppy and it has worked well, though not a Whippet!

If you can find one, I think in many ways it can be harder, with a puppy you are moulding it from the start, it may have already picked up habits you are not fond of (w00t)

Kirsty

THEY ARE BRILLIANT FAMILY PETS :luck: :luck: :luck:

Hi Kirsty

I am new here 2!!! Everyone has made me feel very welcome :cheers:

I have 2 whippets and had them both as pups (8 weeks old), They do need to run and they did chew but no more than any other pup. They make great pets and they are extremely lovable. (also very funny)

Before I decided on a whippet I did read most books on the market and also went to crufts on hound day and people their were only to willing to talk to me about the breed.

If you do decide on a whippet I know someone who is having some pups in a few weeks. Her last litter were blue but not sure which bitch she is using this time.

By the way once you have had 1 whippet they seem to multiply before your very eyes.

Hi Joanna and Steph,

Thanks so much for getting back to me.

I stay in Scotland and maybe would have to travel South to get a blue Whippet? Where is the person you know that is poosibly having blue puppies Steph?

Thanks for all those answers Joanna. I thought they might need hours a day excercise! I have heard they are not noisy dogs that bark all the time as well.

Kirsty

kirsty said:
Hi Joanna and Steph,

I stay in Scotland and maybe would have to travel South to get a blue Whippet?  Where is the person you know that is poosibly having blue puppies Steph?

Thanks for all those answers Joanna.  I thought they might need hours a day excercise!  I have heard they are not noisy dogs that bark all the time as well.

Kirsty

Every dog barks!

If you e-mail me I will send you the address (not sure if It would be ok to put it on as the lady may not like it) don't want to upset anyone.

Hi and Welcome to K9.

Whippets are great because they dont smell 'doggy' or shed much hair.

On exercise - mine get approx 2 hours every day - most of that time free running and they are still full of beans running round the garden alot of the time too. Howeer, there have been days that they have only had half and hour and they have coped. They do crash out and sleep lots too. I can leave mine for 4-5 hours as long as they have had a good run and they have been fed. (Plus they have each other for company :huggles: )

Recall...depends where you live I would say! I live surrounded by woodland and it can be very distracting for them with deer popping up all over the place. I can not let one of mine off her leads in the woods, but if I drive up to the moors or to the beach etc she is fine.

Re chewing - as you've said you realsie all puppies willchew. i think whippets tend to be 'mischevious' all of thier lives. I caught my 8 year old in the bin a few weeks back (w00t) and they are accomplished theives and will steal anythign from bench tops etc.

If there is motivation enough - ie something to chase or play with - yes - they can also be escape artists. Our fence is almost 5 ft high and that contains my lot - but I hav heard of whippies being able to jump over 6 ft fences :eek: They can also slip through gaps in hedges etc - we'd had dogs for a few years and thought our garden was dog proof until we got a whippet puppy :b :clown: she got through gaps I would have only thought big enough for a rabbit :- "

Good luck with whatever you decide - and if it is a whippet then we would love to see pictures :wub:

Hi Kirsty - Welcome to K9.

I have 2 dogs - a fawn whippet, Dolly, now aged 14 months, and Bobby, a Collie X, aged 6 years. I had Dolly from a pup and she is like most puppies - has chewed a bit and is quite lively. They get a short walk in the morning on the lead and an hour+ walk in the afternoon where they are off lead and have a good run. This seems to be enough for Dolly and she then sleeps a lot.

I have always used a cage for Dolly when we are out (although I am not at work now) and at night, and found this to be really useful for housetraining and to prevent the kitchen being chewed. :lol: :lol:

She rarely ever barks, whereas Bobby barks quite a lot (typical Collie type) when anyone comes to the door etc. He is far more excitable, so I would say Whippets are generally quieter than a lot of other breeds, although there are always exceptions. :- "

Whippets moult far less than some other breeds, and also don't really smell - so a Whippet for me every time. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Many years ago I had two adult Whippets from a show breeder (a dog and a bitch) - they were about 2 yrs old and they settled in with no problems. Sadly the bitch died quite young, but the dog lived to be 13 yrs old - he was adorable. So I don't think having an older Whippet would be any more of a problem than a puppy (from my personal experience).

Good luck with whatever you decide. :luck: :luck: I love blue whippets :wub: :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Kirsty

Go for it Kirsty - you will never regret getting a whippet. Mine is blue and white and is 9 months old and although he is mischievious, it has been a laugh a minute watching his antics. :D I use a crate at night and when I go out, he feels safe in it and I don't have to worry that he might be getting up to mischief - I know he is safe and cannot come to any harm.

As for recall, he has "selective deafness" but always comes back in the end. We live near the beach and a couple of hours charging about leaves him tired out for the rest of the day - almost. :- "

Good Luck :luck:

steph gee said:
kirsty said:
Hi Joanna and Steph,

I stay in Scotland and maybe would have to travel South to get a blue Whippet?  Where is the person you know that is poosibly having blue puppies Steph?

Thanks for all those answers Joanna.  I thought they might need hours a day excercise!  I have heard they are not noisy dogs that bark all the time as well.

Kirsty

Every dog barks!

If you e-mail me I will send you the address (not sure if It would be ok to put it on as the lady may not like it) don't want to upset anyone.

Basenjis dont bark. Not trying to sound picky just figured its an interesting thing to know.

Thanks so much to everyone for all your reply's, it has been a great help.

Kirsty

[SIZE=14pt]WELCOME[/SIZE] to k9 Kirsty :cheers: You'll get lots of good advice on here. :thumbsup: Lets know what you decide.

Whippets make great pets :huggles: and blues are lovely

Where abouts in Scotland are you?

aww Kirsty a bit far away I keep hoping for someone close to home :(

Eek! Meant to delete this post because I replaced it with another one by accident instead of editing. Anyway ignore this! :b

kirsty said:
Hi
I am new to this forum.  I was wondering if I could ask all you experienced Whippet people a few questions.

I would really like a blue Whippet but I have four housecats and I am worried the Whippet would attack the cats.  They have never been in contact with a dog of any kind before.

Is it true Whippets chase everything and anything and are a nightmare if you let them of the lead and they won't come back?  How much excercise do they need a day?  I have read different takes on excercise on different sites!

Are they easy to house train including paper training and chewing?  I know when puppies most dogs will chew when left alone through boredom.  I work from home so the dog would spend a lot of the time with me but some days I need to attend meetings.  How long could a Whippet be left alone once adult?  How long as a puppy?  Are they bad for jumping over fences/escaping from gardens?

Would it be wise to bring an older puppy into the house that a breeder has maybe ran on a bit to see if it has show potential then decided it hasn't.  As one of my friends took on a 6 month old puppy and it has worked well, though not a Whippet!

Kirsty

I haven't read all the replies yet,so probably you have already been given good advice by the rest of the board member's.

You've raised a few questions that would make me seriously wonder,if you've ever owned a dog of any description.In particular,your idea that puppies only chew because they are bored.I've never had a bored puppy,pup's do not get bored.They are busy exploring and playing,life is an adventure.I personaly feel,that pups chew because they are teething,they start to lose their milk teeth at about 5 months,and,the adult teeth coming through,takes a while.They then have a few weeks grace,before their back molars start coming through at about 8 months,and,then the chewing really begins in ernest.

Young pups do constantly have everything they find in their mouth,they are just like a human baby/toddler in this respect.It is how we all learned a lot,about what tastes good or not,feel,texture etc and is a normal part of everyone's development,including puppies.

As to how good you are at house-training,recall etc. we can't anwer that,how any dog behaves,will depend on how experienced/good you are at training it.

Whippets are good at coming back,just not if they are in full flight chasing something,it is too late then,they are focused on their prey,not you.

As for cats,a lot of whippy's live happily with cats,doesn't mean to say that they won't chase your neighbours.Personally,I'd expect a young pup to be easier to introduce to existing pets you may own.

With one that somebody has grown on,if it hasn't already lived with cats.It may have preconcieved ideas,that are different to yours,and,harder to re-train.

As for leaving a pup,when they are very young,I wouldn't expect a pup to cope for long on it's own.They do need supervision and care.I'm assuming that if you ever have kids,you're not planninhg on leaving a toddler un-supervised ?

Pups can be left for short periods,but,for how long will depend on it's age,routine, etc.

Lyd

Hello Kirsty,

You might want to check out this thread that I started a while back asking many of the same questions as you, as I'm considering getting a Whippet pup soon too.  Funnily enough I quite like the blues too, but my favourites in terms of looks are the black and white or blue and white parti-colours (which I understand can be a bit tricky to find as they tend to be of the racing variety).

http://www.k9community.co.uk/forums/index....topic=10409&hl=

Best of luck!

Hi Lydia,

Yes I have had dogs before believe it or not! German Shepherds the last one died 8 yrs ago age 13 due to his back legs going which is very common in the breed. He was a very well behaved dog and would walk to heel when off the lead and I found he only chewed when he was a puppy like you said when teething but I had another dog before him who chewed just when I was out, skirting boards, door frames kitchens etc so therefore I put it down to boredom as he always had loads of hide bones and nylabones and was never left for more than a couple of hours at a time. As a child I grew up with four miniature Daschunds, the last one died around 4 yrs ago aged 23. We also had an Afghan Hound and a Samoyed when I was younger. But as every breed varies that is why I asked so many questions.

I am age 35 and have had a toddler before as well, now aged 14.

Good luck Sharon on your search for a puppy, hope you get what you are looking for. I shall go and check out the thread you suggested, thanks

Kirsty

kirsty said:
Is it true Whippets chase everything and anything and are a nightmare if you let them of the lead and they won't come back?

Hi Kirsty and welcome to K9. I think you should have a look at Scotts "Poetry in Motion" picture in the photo competion (in the working category). I don't know if you have ever seen a whippet in full flight, and until you have you won't get your head around how truely fast there are. For me, and I would imagine for most others on K9, watching my dogs run is one of life's simplest pleasures. :wub: :wub: For their own safety you just have to be careful about where you choose to let them off the lead. Yes them not coming back because of selective deafness is a pain in the bum, but all dogs suffer from this when they have a better offer . My old dog Max suffers from this at times, so with our 6 month old pup Beau, I have put a lot of effort on recalls since we got him at 8 weeks old. I always have a treat for him in my pocket. He is brilliant at coming back :thumbsup:

Have to agree with Lydia, chewing is probably down to teething. Beau has not chewed anything other than the chews and toys we have given him.

Beau met a cat for the first time the other day (at a friends house), had a sniff, wagged his tail and that was it :thumbsup:

They really are the best little dogs. All you have to ask yourself is are you prepared to sit on the floor :lol:

Go on you won't regret it :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back