The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Is Lily All/part Iggy??

pollyanna

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Yesterday when we were out shopping in Ashford, a lady came up to us (we had the three dogs with us) and said she thought Lily is an iggy!!

She herself has 2 x 15 year old igs and seemed to know a lot about them. Lily is 16" tall so we thought she was too tall for an iggy. She now weighs 18 lb but was only 11 lb when we got her through whippet rescue about 4 months ago -she had been treated cruelly and virtually left to starve to death after her owner died.

Here are a couple of recent pictures - I'd love to know if she is a small whippet, as we thought, or really an iggy :unsure:

View attachment 43673

whippy_or_iggy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
She definitely looks 100% whippy to me. Good on you for taking her in and fattening her up. :huggles:

One more. Forgot to say she is at least 13 years old

lily_o7.jpg

As far as I know, you don't get IGs in brindle.

She's dead sweet, well done for taking her on :huggles:

(w00t) whatever she is ... she's definatley 100% GORGUSE :wub: :huggles:

I'd say whippet - her face reminds me of my old brindle whippet she was a bit bigger tho about 20lb's and looked very much like your old lady in her latter years :wub:

She is lovely :wub: :wub: what a great age,well done,a credit to you :thumbsup:

she looks all whippet to me (non-expert!! :- " )

either way, she is a real little cutie :wub:

edited to say, her feet have arched knuckles, which I think is correct for a whippet :wacko: , my girls have flatter feet, like a hare, which I think is correct for an iggie - hope I got that right :unsure: :p

She looks whippet to me. :thumbsup: What a gorgeous girl, and so good that she found such a lovely home to spend her twilight years. :wub: :wub: :wub:

Occasionally people have asked if Dolly is an Iggy. She is quite small and fine, and only weighs about 10 kg, so not much heavier than Lily. :- "

:wub: She looks like a whippet to me :thumbsup:

Doris is right about the feet - Lily's are arched like a whippet and Iggys front feet are 'hare' shaped. Also her head is definitely whippet-shaped.

And yes, Iggies don't come in brindle.

What a lovely old lady - well done you for making her life so comfortable and happy for her :wub: :thumbsup: :huggles:

edited to say, her feet have arched knuckles, which I think is correct for a whippet :wacko: , my girls have flatter feet, like a hare, which I think is correct for an iggie - hope I got that right :unsure: :p

Thanks everyone. We were pretty sure she IS a whippet, but the lady seemed to know it all and has iggies herself, so she made us wonder .

BTW, she seems to have arthritis in her feet and they turn inwards and have largish knuckles - not like Polly or Twiggy, but I think they probably were to start off with! Twiggy is 12 but Lily seems so much older, being almost bind, deaf and slightly incontinent but she is full of mischief and we love her dearly.

Lily is beautiful, and I'd say all Whippet. :wub:

I'd say Lily is 100% Whippet- IGs don't come in brindle :thumbsup:

She is definitely very petite though- my big IG boy Norman is over 16 inches and weighs about 16lbs! :blink:

She is lovely :wub:

Liz and the Monellis

you've done a good job of fattening Lily up ! she looks so much better thatn the early pics of her :thumbsup:

she must be lapping it up at yours like a queen !

Julie D said:
you've done a good job of fattening Lily up ! she looks so much better thatn the early pics of her  :thumbsup: she must be lapping it up at yours like a queen !

Lily eats like a horse!! She still insists on 3 meals a day plus a chicken wing with the others each morning. As she has not got many teeth, I cut off the tips from Polly and twiggy's wing and she crunches those up with an expression of pure bliss :wub:

Thanks for the kind comments. She certainly does look so much better now.

What a sweetheart!

This is interesting though, as I've ben wondering recently if my old girly might have been a wippy/iggy cross - she came labelled as a wippie from a local rescue. She was very petite, and when our local wippie expert looked at her she tried very hard to be polite - she had the long hare feet and a rounder ear shape than wippies. I thought at the time that maybe she was just a poor example of wippiedom (although very, very much loved and cherished, looks weren't important) but now I begin to wonder .... :unsure:

Whatever Lily is :lol: shes an absolute darling :huggles: :huggles: :wub: and a lovely old lady. :huggles:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back