The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Is My Whippet Pregnant

melissa_richards

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Have been reading lots of posts around this subject and finding it difficult to tell. My whippet came into season 1 Feb and swhen she was on day 4 of her cycle she spent the next 8 days with the stud dog. They definitely connected several times over this period.

If she is pregnant I would assume that she should be about 4 weeks gone but no obvious signs, still energetic, still eating, her nipples might protrude a little more but might be wishful thinking, no rings that I can see. She still looks slim.

Is she or isn't she? Any help greatfully received

Why would she need to spend 8 days with a stud dog ?

Bitches are usually mated twice at the most and more often than not between the 11th and 14th days .

I take it you havnt mated a bitch before or bred ,If Im jumping to conclusions forgive me , but have you bred a litter before ?

Sometimes you cant tell if a bitch is in whelp until she is 6 weeks gone unless she is heavy with pups or you take her to the vet for a scan

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would she need to spend 8 days with a stud dog ?
Bitches are usually mated twice at the most and more often than not between the 11th and 14th days .

I take it you havnt mated a bitch before or bred ,If Im jumping to conclusions forgive me , but have you bred a litter before ?

Sometimes you cant tell if a bitch is in whelp until she is 6 weeks gone unless she is heavy with pups or you take her to the vet for a scan
Hi Jax

I have mated her to my mother's dog. They live some distance away so i dropped her off on a Friday and picked her up the following weekend hence the long stay.

I have bred before but with border terriers and it was a lot easier to tell. Any advice regarding whippet breeding gratefully received. She is being quite clingy at the moment and generally restless.

Thanks for post

Hi ,

welcome to K9 . As Jax says it would be difficult to tell untill at least 5/6 weeks . Would be interested to know the breeding of your girl and the dad .

Just wondered , did the dog run with your bitch all this time ? and allowed to mate as and when . I would only let my dogs mate once maybe twice to make sure within 3/4 days at most

I must say it does seem an odd way of going about mating a bitch, as lizzyb says, one or two matings within 3 days is the norm. Then you at least have some idea when the litter would be due. An eight day window would worry me.

Have you got homes lined up and will you be keeping one?????

Hi ,welcome to K9 . As Jax says it would be difficult to tell untill at least 5/6 weeks . Would be interested to know the breeding of your girl and the dad .

Just wondered , did the dog run with your bitch all this time ? and allowed to mate as and when . I would only let my dogs mate once maybe twice to make sure within 3/4 days at most
I was away for work so she stayed with my mother hence the length of time. I appreciate it is a little odd! Mating did not happen evry day but defintely on day 9, 10 and 11 as I believe this to be the most fertile time but happy to be corrected. He is a Barnesmore/Catcherscan/Nevedith strain and she is from Dodgewells

Hi Bertha

Haven't thought about homes yet as still not sure of whether she is pregnant! I was told that by the breeder I bought mine from that generally whippets are better paired with non relatives ( secondly would have to sweet talk my husband!)

Hi Bertha
Haven't thought about homes yet as still not sure of whether she is pregnant! I was told that by the breeder I bought mine from that generally whippets are better paired with non relatives ( secondly would have to sweet talk my husband!)

no offence but your breeder doesnt sound like they know much, :wacko: i have sisters who are like peas in a pod! :huggles:

i've never bred a litter but i dont think i could do it and not keep one, what would be the point in all the stress, worry and heartbreak(when they leave) if you didnt keep one yourself? :( just my opinion :b

Hi Bertha
I was told that by the breeder I bought mine from that generally whippets are better paired with non relatives ( secondly would have to sweet talk my husband!)
what a load of rubbish!!!!!! im disgusted when anyone breeds and and does not keep a puppy :rant: then it just being done for money.

my girl had her puppies almost 11 weeks ago, and 2 puppies stayed with me and 2 went to the owners of the stud..

after the stress of her whelp being rushed in for a C-sec in the the middle of the night, and how drained she looked after coming home from the vet it sickens me when people just put 2 dogs together for the sake of it :rant: is your mother having a puppy?

90% of racing whippets are related and anyone with brood bitches have offspring and mother livig together......dogs dont actually "know" they are related, infact Grace spends no time with her puppies now and its one of my other dogs who has taken them under her paw (so to speak)

sorry for the rant but im disgusted.

Last edited:
Lordy what ever next, I overheard a conversation at the show on Sunday, whippets being mated in cars, people offering their dogs at stud willy nilly and the bitch owners not seeming to care which dog they used :angry:

Maybe I misheard........I hope so

Hi Melissa

Birthing can sometimes be difficult for a whippet and I hope your girl whelps safely if she is pregnant :luck:

May I ask why you decided to breed from her, please, and what your bitch has achieved so far? Does she show or compete in any way?

I expect we shall meet up at some time as I live on the Devon /Cornwall border :thumbsup:

I only hope you know what you are doing. How old is your bitch ? I assume this is her first litter?

You only have to look at what happened with dear sweet Lola who had experienced owners to see the possible pitfalls of breeding your bitch, huge expense, possible heartbreak and a lot of hard work.

As the others said, why would you breed if not keeping one for yourself?

If you think your husband is not going to be happy keeping an pup, how is he going to feel with a house full of puppies for 8 weeks.

I have rehomed many abused and neglected whipppets over the years. Breeding for the sake of trying to make money or owners who think it would be good for their bitch to have 1 litter before neutering results in abandoned or unwanted young whippets. Have you prospective quality homes for up to 8 puppies?

You should definately arrange a scan at the vets. This will this give you a more definate date and see how many puppies are on the way. Apart from anything else, the vet can advise the right nutrition and spot any potential problems.

You should not be asking the forum if your bitch is pregnant, you should be asking your vet :angry: :angry: :angry:

I am not surprised that breeder gave you that advice, did you really look at where she kept her dogs?????? and the condition they were in????/

Haven't thought about homes yet ..........

That's odd, as you have already approached another forum member, on an open thread, about your (potential) unborn litter :eek:

Although I see now that your post has been removed from that thread as it is against forum rules to try to sell puppies or adult dogs on K9 Community.

It is worrying that you may have a litter due in just a months time, which could mean 8+ pups and absolutely no homes lined up for them.

Our next litter is not planned until late this year, but we already have three pups from the litter booked, and even then you can never guarantee that the people on your waiting list will not go somewhere else in the meantime.

I spend hours and hours vetting each puppy owner – via email and through often very long telephone calls to make sure that we were the right breeder for them and they were the right owner for our precious babies.

If your bitch is not known to compete in any particular field finding the really top notch homes that we would all like our pups to go to may prove more difficult.

I would recommend thinking about it ASAP, as you could find yourself with several puppies that you are unable to find homes for in three months time – so if your husband is not going to let you keep one puppy from the litter how will he feel about having several young whippets tearing round your house in a few months time if suitable homes are not forthcoming.

I would also consider that you will (or should be) offering a life time commitment to each and everyone of these pups, so that if for whatever reason their new owners are unable to keep them in the future, they know that they have a home with you, should that be until you find another suitable home or if circumstances do not allow rehoming, that they can stay with you for life.

Having a litter is a very stressful time; the responsibility of ensuring your pups go to the very best of homes is a huge one and one that I know I personally worry myself to death about!

I really hope you manage to get good homes for all the puppies :luck:

I regularly trawl the free advertising sites just out of curiosity and I am totally dismayed at the number of litters of pups for sale at the moment . I watch these ads and see the puppies getting older all the time . There is one advert just now and the puppies are now 11 weeks old and they are now down to £100 . The are beautiful puppies but it seems a really bad time at the moment to be having puppies . I don't know if it's the same in all breeds as I don't look at them . :(

My first whippet was one of 13 pups and 12 survived , it's a lot of puppies to find homes for :wacko:

Now , I dont think ranting on at this NEW poster ( as much as I agree with you all ) will help her if the bitch IS pregnant. its too late now to do anything if she is

Im sure by now shes got the drift that what she has done is irresponsible and not gone down too well with my fellow K9ers

As the mother of these `pups to be` probably didnt have the best start, lets hope that all pups from this litter are found 100% super homes from the start .

People learn by mistakes. we hope. Unfortuanletly this sort of thing isnt rare , as we can tell by all the whippet puppies for sale on various sites , of which , quite rightly K9 is not one of them

Please respect the board rules. Specifically:

Threatening, flaming, rude or abusive treatment of other members, groups, persons or organisations on the Message Board or Gallery, in the Chat Room or through email or PM will NOT be tolerated. If you feel you must criticise then criticise the idea not the individual or group. Any posts criticising individuals or groups will probably get removed and those doing the criticising will probably be warned via the warning system.

Thanks

Any comments I have made are with no intention of being rude or abusive to anyone, only a love of whippets and whippet welfare.

This bitch should be vet checked and scanned ASAP especially if it is a first litter and the due date is unknown.

Hi Bertha
Actually I am quite offended by your comments - you know nothing about me. My father in law lost his much loved dog so will have a puppy and hence the reason for mating. My bitch is a much loved family pet, she will only be doing this once. I cannot see how one would do this for the money - you might only have 1 puppy and as I look after my animals it would cost me more than I would make. The most important thing is that if she is pregnant that all the puppies go to good homes - if I do not like prospective owners I will not let them go and could quite easily end up with all of them.

I have always had dogs from a small child, this is my first whippet and I adore her. I joined this site for some helpful friendly advice to make sure that I do the best for my girl but frankly I am not sure that this is what I am receiving.

Clearly the breeder I got her from has differing opinions regarding whippet keeping and it is reassuring to know that if I do keep one it will not upset my much loved dog.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back