The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Izzy At 10 Weeks

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Love all the stripies on that throw, they look fab together. Izzy is gorgeous :wub:

aww she's really pretty, going to be a dentist by the look of it !

You're very colour co-ordinated aren't you ! your OH better paint quick before you NEED a pale fawn whippet to match those walls !

Talk about camouflage on your lovely throw :)) gorgeous dogs.. :wub:

We have just bought our 2nd whippet, 10wks old, and a little belter, called Poppy. Our 1st whippet is now 14 mths old - and she's absolutely superb, called Daisy. However, we have now had the two together for just a week, and the 'play' between them looks pretty frightening to me - very similar to the pics you have captured of Rosie and Izzy. Sometimes it's initiated by Poppy, but usually it's Daisy tormenting the puppy. So far we have separated them after they've been at it a few minutes, because we fear that one of them will get hurt. Is this a mistake - should we just let them fight it out to the end - or should we intervene. There must be many members who have encountered this situation - and come through it. Would be grateful for your comment.

We have just bought our 2nd whippet, 10wks old, and a little belter, called Poppy. Our 1st whippet is now 14 mths old - and she's absolutely superb, called Daisy. However, we have now had the two together for just a week, and the 'play' between them looks pretty frightening to me - very similar to the pics you have captured of Rosie and Izzy. Sometimes it's initiated by Poppy, but usually it's Daisy tormenting the puppy. So far we have separated them after they've been at it a few minutes, because we fear that one of them will get hurt. Is this a mistake - should we just let them fight it out to the end - or should we intervene. There must be many members who have encountered this situation - and come through it. Would be grateful for your comment.

Hallo!

I have 5 other whippets and a small lurcher and they are all playing quite "enthusiastically" with Izzy!! Alot of the time Izzy initiates the play as she is a feisty little pup and the others are generally very good with her.

I do monitor these play sessions and quash the bigger dogs enthusiasm somewhat but, on the whole, I let them carry on and play.

Whippets do make the most horrendous growling and ruffing noise when playing, including "screaming" when they do "tooth jousting", but it is all part of being a whippet :D

Realistically, an adult whippet could damage a pup with one bite, but they choose not to. So I would let your girls continue to play together but just be there to step in if you feel Poppy has had enough (she probably won't know when to stop, like Izzy :lol: ) and make sure Daisy knows that if you say stop, she must give it a rest :thumbsup:

It won't be long before Poppy has grown up to a good size and they will play and run together and have SO much fun!!

PS .. should have said, I don't let mine run with Izzy yet, as she is far too small and could get bowled over and hurt very easily at the moment :thumbsup:

I'd love to see some pics of Poppy and Daisy!! Why not start a thread with some of them - it'd be lovely to see them :D

I can't really add much to jinnyfizz's reply.

I have Izzy's litter brother Taran and 12 mth and 25 mth whippy boys (and two adult mini dachshunds). Play can get very rough, but often it's Taran who 'wins'. I'd say it's important to supervise closely at all times and if either dog seems unhappy break it up, often though you'll find that the dog you thought wasn't enjoying the game dives straight back in for more. Also, my personal experience is that my big boys are much more gentle with the pup than you might think from the noise ... they really aren't hurting him and take every pain not to step on him etc., he's actually more likely to hurt them with his sharp puppy teeth.

Annie

I have Sassy Izzy and Tarans sister and her mother and grandmother,

Again they fight and make some blood curdling squeals but they are gentle with her and the yelps are generally from the older 2 from the sharp puppy teeth!!

Just keep an eye on them and stop it if you feel its out of hand but generally just watch and youll see them back off naturally when they have had enough.

Its all part of the whippet mind set to play and fight and chase

Just watch and have fun with your whippets :D

Izzy is looking wonderful. can't wait to meet her in the flesh :D

Aww Izzy :wub: :wub: She and Rosie look to be the best of friends :huggles:

Thanks so much for your comments. Much of what you say we have observed, and it really is (to beginners) an intriguing business. One would think that they hate one another - but Daisy (the elder) on a few occasions when Poppy is whining (probably for attention) has gone out of her way to give the puppy her hide bone, and actually left it with her.

Do hope this is the start of a beautiful (long long term) and happy friendship - which was the original intention for getting a 2nd whippet.

Thanks again.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back