The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Jack the Cockapoo

cockapoolondon

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello there I have a 11 week old cockapoo. We have had him for 3 weeks. He has been great so far but I am a first time dog owner so a lot of googling going on! He has had diarreah since Wednesday I did take him to the vet on day 2 as was worried and was given a check over and sent him home with Hills Digestive Care and some Nutrabio which is a probiotic and has some kaolin clay in there. It is now Saturday and there is no sign of it clearing up and he is fouling his crate overnight, every night which is horrible for him. I suppose my question is, should it be clearing up by now or is something that can drag on a bit. I am pretty sure it is because I changed his diet without realising I needed to introduce it slowly. Any advice, reassurance would be very welcome. Thank you.

I'm a first time dog owner too, having had our glorious,furry little man for a little over two years (he's sat on my lap as I type this!). Yes, there's a lot to learn, searching online helps as much as it hinders, and a diet change is most definitely a gradual thing - we started to introduce small sections of his new food with what he was currently eating, and gradually increased that and decreased the other. So, it might be this sudden change has upset his stomach, but I'd at least speak to your vet to see if there's any concern about his ongoing upset. Let us know how you get on.

Unfortunately, "Hills Digestive care" is very poor quality and certainly won't help your puppies tummy problems!!
The product is mainly GRAIN based. Ingredients; in order of listing. Rice, Maize starch, Maize gluten meal, Chicken meat meal, ( whatever that means!) Barley, Flax seed, Dried beet pulp.
Our dogs and puppies can not digest grain very well and most of the ingredient comes out of the back end very bulky and smelly and unused! it is a cheap "filler" that is used in very many dry dog foods, (including well known popular makes) and is begining to be recognised as to contributing to digestive problems and many allergies and health problems in our pets..
Unfortunately our vets are not qualified in feeding.
Myths About Raw: Is my vet really qualified to be giving nutritional advice?

I would suggest a quick change over to a raw diet, the last puppy that we bought at 8 weeks of age was on a dry diet (her poo's were soft and smelly), I changed her over to Raw in 2 days, no upset tummy problems with the changeover at all, and poo's firmed up straight away.
I have a friend who like myself feeds RAW meat and bones. Her Cockapoo had a litter of cockapoo puppies this summer and they were reared straight onto a raw diet, their poo's were very firm, never soft or runny.
It is an easy diet to feed with no blood or mess, there are lots of company's who sell "complete" raw mixes.
If you are at all interested in Raw feeding , there is a very nice and easy to read and understand little book "Honey's Natural Feeding Handbook for Dogs". A very good informational book that can help the understanding of our dogs digestive systems and their need for a raw diet.
If you register with the"Honeys" website, you can order one of these books for FREE. You will not be pestered to purchase any of their products, EVER! or it can be purchased on Amazon for as little as 1p (used but in good condition).

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back