The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Jasper in the wars

JudyN

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
For the first time ever, Jasper's been 'properly' set upon by another dog :( We were walking past a woman with a Border terrier & a collie cross, the BT said hello to Mr R and then she and J greeted each other nicely. The collie x came up and barked a bit - 'Back off mate, she's my girl' - and then the BT went for J. He wheeled away and backed off screaming, then stood a few yards away holding his foot up, still shrieking. The woman ('She's never done that before, she usually loves big dogs' apparently) hung around while I checked J over and not finding anything, I concluded that he'd tweaked a muscle when wheeling around. Later though, when he was still hobbling and not happy, I had another look and found what I think are grazes from her teeth in his armpit. I'm pretty sure they're not punctures but I'll keep an eye on them.

He wanted to go home straight away and is pretty shaken up and obviously sore. He's such a sensitive flower I'm a bit worried he'll be reluctant to go to the woods again which is a pain as there's nowhere else close by with shade and water.

Assuming the woman was being honest about this being totally out of character for her dog, I wonder what triggered it - I wondered if it was his muzzle, but then she was fine before the collie came over. Maybe what was out of character was the collie's behaviour, and the BC was just reacting to his reaction. Or maybe J reacted to the collie x's reaction and she reacted to J's reaction.... :confused: I didn't see J putting a foot wrong but these things happen so fast.

@JudyN I'm sorry to hear this what an awful experience for you both, i hope Jasper gets over this and it doesn't put him off his walks as we know what hounds can be like if they have a horrible experience. Its hard to say what caused it i just hope that it was out off character for the dog but like you I'd be having my doubts too. Give Jasper lots off cuddles poor soul and i hope he heals up quick x

Thanks Whippylove :) He's very quiet, and his armpit looks quite red - I'm wondering if the BT had a bit of a chew there rather than a hard bite. He's not limping anything like as much though.

I think we'll avoid the woods for a while, as long as the weather allows. Looking at the weather forecast for tomorrow, he might not want to go out at all!

The poor lad - as well as this, he's got what I suspect is a corn, something going on in his groin which I think is either a bruise or an insect bite, and possibly an eye infection bubbling up:( But when I took him to the vet to have a look a the possible corn, he wouldn't even let the vet touch him - so it's very much a case of keeping an eye on everything, doing what I can myself, and judging when he needs treatment. Then when it justifies a sedative, he can have everything done, plus a dental, claw clipping, complete MOT and service:D

Poor Jasper- hope he's better in the morning. Harri's had a few nips but just the sort older dogs give to unruly puppies who try and steal the ball. Nothing that broke the skin and a canine chastisement that he needed.

At least you get your money's worth when you do visit the vet!

Poor Jasper. Hopefully a good night's sleep will help him settle.

Aww poor soul, if he's not got enough going on! Hope he feels a lot better soon. My boys hate the vet they're ok until the vet goes to touch them and then they leg it!

Sorry to hear this @JudyN - poor Jasper :-(

I hope it doesn’t set him back with nervousness.

He chose to sleep downstairs last night but seems fine today. Ironically, as the bite was on the same side as his corn, every time I kneel down to get a good look at the bite he thinks I want to look at his pad so obligingly lifts it - which moves his shoulder back and covers the bite!

But as far as I can see, there's a red area with a few scrapes rather than holes so I think she probably grabbed on and shook rather than biting hard. We had a very wet walk in the park and he was fine with all the dogs we met, including one who sniffed the bite area. So hopefully no lasting damage, physical or mental:)

Poor Jasper... I hope all his ailments heal up soon without a visit to Mr cold hands white coat, vet.

I thinks he's going to have to see Uncle Malcolm (the vet) for his eye - when he's had a slightly gunky eye before the discharge has been clearish and gone after regular wipes, but this time it's opaque and cream-coloured, and he's been rubbing it a fair bit. But on the positive side, Malcolm shouldn't have to touch him, and I desensitised him to eye drops in the past so I should be able to treat it without the usual hassle.

Good to hear Jasper got on ok with his walk this morning. Marley got attacked when he was 2 and hasn't been the same since.

Get well soon Jasper, on all counts! Getting attacked like this isn't nice (happened to us), at least the other owner hung around a bit, which hints that she was telling the truth and had some concern. When it happened to us the other owner just walked off :mad: Hopefully Jasper will put it out of his mind and get on with things.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back