The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Kelmarsh Game And Countryfair

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
dazgail said:
Well done John with your second place at the racing, in my books a super result considering the travelling involved. Great to see us folk from Northern Ireland not being afraid to travel vast distances to take on the English in their own back garden. I know lurcher racing should be fun but it's nice to have a competitive element to it also..adds to the excitement. How far was the race over? Also noticed that you mentioned the Midland Game Fair was over 500yds...in my experience be careful of what the adverts say as this is not always the case as i have seen ads similar and the race to be only 100 yards when i got there, now i'm not saying this is this case with the Midlands.All they very best with your future exploits over to the Mainland.

Rule on "The Mighty Colt" and "Miss Tori"  :luck:

Is Tori injured?

How's the old boy "Storm" doing.

karen, colts like me an all-rounder but needs slipped right o:) sundays final i done the boy a misjustice where i stood him.. away to the left . tell ya what, tell lou we can race the length of my car even (w00t) no probs !! :p

darren mate youre sooo right about lying organisers and race distances..seems english tape measures are shorter than ours (w00t) (w00t) ! when ever i fone to find out distances they seem to shrink atleast 150 yds by the time we get there :oops:

colt won the puppy race at mgf last year and its a good run ! storm looks good mate tho cant catch his boy, so he nips his arse as a punishment ! :eek: hope your 2 are still goin well ! catch ya soon :thumbsup: darren can i just remind you about something.....N.IRE 1 ENG 0 o:)

Last edited by a moderator:
hey darren, Tori is not injured she was just a bit lame there but 100% now i hope,lol, didnt go to kelmarsh cause car insurance is due :- " :- " hopefully will make it over to the midland gamefair though :thumbsup:

how is ur 2 doing? :)

Rose :)

also........ A BIG WELL DONE TO 'MIGHTY COLT' and welldone to the rest of the dogs that competed :thumbsup:

rodders said:
There's nothing like a good bit of competition John :D Don't worry Freddies not 2 yet so he'll be around for a while :D Well done Lou & Phil on doing the double Freddie won the racing at Selby today,and Stuart & Beckys bitch won the unders.A lovely show run by Lurcherworld.Nice to see so many old faces and lots of new ones aswell.Well done to everybody who took part,and a special thankyou to Chris Hardy and his team for a lovely day.If you read this Chris,today bought back alot of memories from the BRWLC :cheers: Karen.

Ta karen its bout tyme i figured this fing out :wacko:

well done phil n lou . gr8 day @ selby. tar 2 all the lurcher world team for a few gr8 days out ! :D :thumbsup: :cheers:

John, great to see the old boy is still full of himself...and "Storm" also :- " , he always had that mischievous look about him..again just like you :teehee: although i'm not too sure where he gets the habit of biting others in the backside from...did he ever stay in your bedroom??? :blink:

Rose, also great to hear that Tori seems to be fine again and fingers crossed she will remain sound for a long time now especially with the fairs and shows coming up in the next few months. Whats Frankie been up to with his two pups out of Miss Ellie as there is a lot of potential there.

As for Shannon and Maddy they seem to miss the hard work involved for getting them fit for the shows and racing, but as you know Maddy has just had far too many injuries over the past few years to start working on her again. They get exercised for about 1 hour daily but there is no purpose to there exercising as there are no goals targeted. I'm thinking of breeding of Maddy this year but don't want to be left with the pups so will just have to wait and see. If i was to breed of her i would use one of the top non ped whippets in England. I'm hoping that there would be a lot of interest in pups from the mating, after all in almost 50 races Maddy only lost once and that was in a race which was her first after 18 months off and she had to be rested for 10 days after the race cause of a shoulder injury. After the 10 days of rest i was able to put one week of work into her and she won the All Irelands..i think that was the same day that Tori won the under 23".

I noticed in one of the editions of whippet news that both you and John went bend racing in England not too long ago. I also noticed that Tori's time wasn't too far behind the winning no limit dogs time....again a great achievement considering the travelling involved, first time around that particular track, and with no kick board...just proves that some of the dogs racing over here are up there with best racing dogs in England.....WELL DONE!! :cheers:

Well,well,well looks like John & I have started something off :D Loads to say,don't know where to start.Lets see :- " Don't make excuses John you'll get another chance or 2 or 3...... :D and as for Ireland1 England0 with regards to racing you're gonna have to re think that one lads Billy Harper came over to Chatsworth to race Geoff Fletchers 'Milly' and lost,Billy Craige came over to Chatsworth with 'Del Boy'(which according to your Irish correspondent in the Countrymans Weekly was 'The Best')to race my dog 'Tip' and guess what he lost.Incidentily I bred Del Boy.What with those two results and this weekends result I make that 3-0 to England. :thumbsup: And finally Miss Tori was a fair few marks off our scratch dogs,and if I remember rightly Sup Rch & Nch Come on Sue was out of Miss Ellie.Guess what my own dog Rodders(now retired due to injury,but too many race wins to mention)beat her.Now i'm beginning to sound just like you lot so i'll wait for the next race.The English flags are flying tonight boys :cheers: Karen

Hi Becky nice to see your on line.Had a lovely day at weekend.Well done winning the unders.Brilliant race she looked superb :D Pictures turned out well i'll print some off for you.See you soon :D Karen

Me thinks John was talking about football when he mentioned Northern Ireland 1 - 0 England...not bad going for a wee country our size. :- " Yes Rodders you are correct when you mention that both Billy Harper and Billy Craig went to Chatsworth on a few occassions but to no avail, but surely anyone with some sort of common sense must realize the difficulty of driving some 7 hours with a two hour ferry thrown in must take its toll on the dogs. For a few years i was of the opinion that Chatsworth was the Holy Grail of Lurcher racing so in 2003 i travelled over with my own bitch Maddy and raced her in the over 23". Again after a 7 hour drive and a two hour ferry crossing she won by 4 lengths running away from her nearest competitors..and that was after a very bad slip which in fairness turned out to her advantage as two of the other dogs came together. Incidently the track where they run the straight racing at Chatsworth was the worst ground i have ever seen for racing lurchers.

I wanted to race her against the top non ped whippets in England so i decided to try for the BWRA Bend Championships at Warrick. I travelled over 1 week before the championships to give her a trial. Again after a 2 hour ferry and a 7 hour drive with 20-30 minutes rest in the car she was given a run round Warrick. It was her first look at Warrick and the first time i had used a kickboard. Her time was .07 sec slower than the dog which won the No Limit the following week at the championships which was Banjo who beat the likes of Come on Sue and Come on Ernie. Unfortunately i couldn't race her at the championships because she came into season a couple of days after returning from the trial.

Sorry if it sounds that i'm blowing my own trumpet...i have always maintained that it is Maddy who should receive all the glory as i was very fortunate to get a super bitch. And as i intend to breed of her this year a bit of advertising would help :- "

She was bred by Graham and Mandy Pendleton and is out of Grahams Dream and a greyhound called Little Lyndz. Her brother and sister were also champions on the non ped scene in England. :huggles:

Completely agree with you Daz.Sounds like your bitch didn't get anywhere near the glory she quite rightly deserved. :thumbsup: The bitch that won the unders at Kelmarsh is out of Grahams Dream also.If you go back on the Non ped section it might tell you (I could be wrong)that Banjo in fact broke the track record at Warwick,and also another bit of info the dog that won the bends championship this year is litter brother to the black bitch from the weekend.Couldn't agree more with you about the ground we run on.Don't think Chatsworth is on its own there.Haven't been to Chatsworth for a few years.Don't agree with the ruling (Can't catch your dog at top)we all know what happens sometimes when dogs run back down together.Lou & Phil took a bitch belonging to Phil and my hubby George to Chatsworth last year and she won the unders,but she now runs in the non ped whippets,wouldn't risk running her at lurcher racing again.I would be very weary of running at lurcher racing again,because of the ground.My own dog has two Grasilis muscles gone because of bad ground,which is why we've got 2 pups for whippet racing.I'll tell you about them later,have to go to work.Well done with your bitch :thumbsup: Karen. ps Hope nobody is taking this thread too seriously its only a bit of fun between the English and the Irish. :D

surley daz your bitch should be able to run maddy its nearly a pure greyhound

not just straight whippet x greyhound like most :cheers:

I was well impressed with the Irish dogs at Westhoughton considering the journey they had :thumbsup: spot on

rodders said:
Well,well,well looks like John & I have started something off :D Loads to say,don't know where to start.Lets see :- " Don't make excuses John you'll get another chance or 2 or 3...... :D and as for Ireland1 England0 with regards to racing you're gonna have to re think that one lads Billy Harper came over to Chatsworth to race Geoff Fletchers 'Milly' and lost,Billy Craige came over to Chatsworth with 'Del Boy'(which according to your Irish correspondent in the Countrymans Weekly was 'The Best')to race my dog 'Tip' and guess what he lost.Incidentily I bred Del Boy.What with those two results and this weekends result I make that 3-0 to England. :thumbsup: And finally Miss Tori was a fair few marks off our scratch dogs,and if I remember rightly Sup Rch & Nch Come on Sue was out of Miss Ellie.Guess what my own dog Rodders(now retired due to injury,but too many race wins to mention)beat her.Now i'm beginning to sound just like you lot so i'll wait for the next race.The English flags are flying tonight boys :cheers: Karen
HAHAH THATS WHAT I LIKE TO SEE..SOMETHING THAT YOU LOT HAVE LOST OVER THERE..A VOICE !..GOOD ON YA !! :thumbsup: AH WELL DONT THINK OUR MUTS DO TOO BAD AGAINST- RACING WHIPPET X RACING GREYHOUNDS. ! THO OUR "MADDY" (DARREN MOORES BITCH) WHOPPED A FEW GOOD ARSES OVER THERE ! :oops: ALL GOOD FRIENDLY FUN THO AINT IT.

HERE, HAVE ONE OF THESE BABIES........ :huggles:

rodders said:

ookkkkk.......... there is no need for u to have a go at my dog 'Miss Tori' i dont remember coming on here saying anything to u about ur dogs????? :rant:

there was nothing wrong with my dogs time considering she wasnt even that experienced at running around a track and coming out of the trap with no kickboard! and the amount of travelling it took! :rant:

i have a put alot of time and effort into my dog and i dont appreciate u coming on here and slating her! i am very pleased and proud of my dog!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Yes Milly you are correct, when you look at Maddy's pedigree there is a lot of greyhound in her blood. :thumbsup: However i have another dog which is 3/4 pedigree whippet and 1/4 greyhound which stands a good inch taller than her. I think when you start crossing whippets and greyhounds you are in the lap of the gods as to the size and make up of the pups. Just having a lot of greyhound in the blood doesn't necessarily mean they will be fast but it can help.

Most of the folk who have travelled over to the mainland from Northern Ireland are amazed at the scale of the Lurcher shows you run there and when i was at Chatsworth i couldn't believe the size and the organisation of all the events i seen run...a credit to those who are involved in the running of the Lurcher events. :thumbsup: The likes of John and others have learnt from this and try to incorporate the ideas they get into their own shows which can only improve the lurcher scene in Northern Ireland.

Many of you in England probably don't realize what it means for us folk in Northern Ireland to travel to Lurcher shows in England and to come home with a rossette as we see England to be hotbed of Lurcher Shows. To compete against the best in the UK and do well is a great achievement for us. So when we come on k9 with are achievements we are not boasting are bragging...just very proud of our dogs.

I am amazed at the dedication and commitment of John, Rose and others who have travelled over on a few occasions and continue to do so...they must be out a small fortune by now, i know that i for one am not as commited as they. WELL DONE!!!!!!! :luck: :luck: and hope you all continue to get the rewards you and your dogs rightly deserve.

Rose, if you are going to race "Miss Tori" around the bends i have a kickboard which you are more than welcome to have. It should be ok for her as there's not that much of a difference in Tori's and Maddy's size.

For the up and coming show season i wish all you k9ers and your dogs the very best of success. :huggles: :huggles:

Rodders, my own bitch has torn both her gracillis muscles. And yes i didn't like the ruling about not being able to catch your dogs at chatsworth as thats one hell of a rough hill to run down, but i was very fortunate as Maddy wasn't leaving the lure and stayed at the top until i got there. I think even the girl who was at the end of the race held her until i got there. (w00t) So you english aren't that bad after all :- " :huggles:

Oopps (w00t) Looks like our jokes upset somebody John.Sorry Rose wasn't having a dig at your Tori at all.I thought she ran well,and as I understand it didn't you win the Midland with her last year?Looks like I better keep my big gob shut in the future(No remarks please Geoff).You'll have to harden up abit though if your coming over to England on a regular basis.Our sense of humour can be a bit bad at times :p Just think though it'll make you go all out to make sure the bitch is in tip top condition the next time you race the English dogs.Bet Johns out with Colt as I type this.Looks like we'll have to close this thread John not enough people as thick skinned as you and me,but from me to you a big :huggles: too.See you at the Midland Karen

karen you after my bad name, :eek: see i have some competition will have to come on here abit more, :thumbsup: next years winner's

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back