The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Kennel Cough

Barry Jepson

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just had a phone call from a member of the Northern to say that one of his dogs has come down with Kennel Cough. she started coughing on Sunday night and he has had her to the vet today where they confirmed that it was kennel cough. This dog was at the Northern club on Sunday and was at Gloucester the previous week but didn't compete at Gloucester but her kennel mate did but she hasn't come down with it yet. So can all those that ran at Gloucester and at the Northern last Sunday please keep an eye on their dogs.

Cheers.

Barry

Just had a phone call from a member of the Northern to say that one of his dogs has come down with Kennel Cough. she started coughing on Sunday night and he has had her to the vet today where they confirmed that it was kennel cough. This dog was at the Northern club on Sunday and was at Gloucester the previous week but didn't compete at Gloucester but her kennel mate did but she hasn't come down with it yet. So can all those that ran at Gloucester and at the Northern last Sunday please keep an eye on their dogs.
Cheers.

Barry
Thanks Barry. Your Lily is doing just great!! Trapping like a Rocket Babe!! Can't wait for you to see her race one of these days. All the best to you and the family. Ron.

thanks for letting us all know Barry, we have not been out since Glouc so fingers crossed we are ok here :thumbsup:

i hope she makes a speedy recovery...it horrible for dog and owner :(

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up Barry. So far all our dogs are OK too, but we need to be vigilant.

so is anyone who raced at gloucester or been to the northern this weekend still going to Champs or Nationals??

A good question posed by the previous contributor. I must say that when I read that a kennel cough case had occurred, as professionally diagnosed by a veterinary surgeon, I did expect there to be some discussion concerning the implications of dogs that had been in contact with the confirmed case turning up at the Sunday venues. I do not profess to be particularly well up on kennel cough and the likelihood of it's spread and the incubation aspects but am I not right in having the view that those who have been in contact with an infected dog could themselves be contaminated and therefore should not be mixing with dogs that have not been so exposed?? Please discuss. I have a vested interest as one of my dogs will be at somewhere near Worcester this coming Sunday and I do not want her to get kennel cough. The silence on the original revelation becomes increasingly alarming to ME.

If the infected dog was not coughing at Gloucester - nor ran on the day, there is not much likelihood of spread there. If any dogs had been infected at Gloucester, they would be coughing by now. If the infected dog ran on Sunday at the Northern before it started coughing, there is a chance it has spread - but normally the infection is spread by coughing.

If the infected dog was not coughing at Gloucester - nor ran on the day, there is not much likelihood of spread there. If any dogs had been infected at Gloucester, they would be coughing by now. If the infected dog ran on Sunday at the Northern before it started coughing, there is a chance it has spread - but normally the infection is spread by coughing.
Which means what?? Can you define your not much likelihood, in terms of a percentage please.

Last edited by a moderator:
the dog concerned didnt run at gloucester or the northern on sunday due to a cut on its paw and was kept in its cage .she didnt show any symptons until late sunday evening .all the studies say that it can only be caught from droplets coughed by the infected dog.

The dog didn't run at Gloucester but I believe she had a play with the lure around the traps and she didn't run at the Northern but she wasn't caged all afternoon she did go for a walk about and her kennel mate who did run both weeks was caged alongside of her. She didn't show symptoms till late Sunday night so its just one of those things but likes been said her kennel mate hasn't shown signs yet but can't remember what the incubation period is?? Hoping it's a one off and all dogs are clear :luck: the vet did say he couldn't guarantee that the kennel mate will get it or not.........it's just one of them things and a waiting game.

June, the infected dog did not run on Sunday and showed no signs of coughing all day until late night Sunday.

Which means what?? Can you define your not much likelihood, in terms of a percentage please.
Afraid not Lampy - not without a crystal ball :p If the dog concerned was not coughing at the Northern, and was not on the lure, then I would say the risk is minimal - but it is highly contagious once the droplets are coughed into the air.

No one really knows, but the owner has obviously been responsible in letting us all know.

The incubation normally seems to be about 8-10 days so I would think any dog not coughing by now is unlikely to be infected. There are no absolutes of course.

Jools appears to have a cough too, but think his is due to swallowing a WHOLE tray of muffins that Indi had just baked! He even ate the paper cases!! He deserves to have a cough.

Jools appears to have a cough too, but think his is due to swallowing a WHOLE tray of muffins that Indi had just baked! He even ate the paper cases!! He deserves to have a cough.
pmsl :lol: :lol: :lol: greedy sod...my lot would of eaten the tray as well :lol:

Due to 3 more dogs coming down with Kennel Cough the Northern Club will be closed this week. On the 16th August when the club will reopen it will be 3 weeks from the club being closed and the first dog showing signs of kc, so if your dogs are still clear by then you can book in as usual.

Due to 3 more dogs coming down with Kennel Cough the Northern Club will be closed this week. On the 16th August when the club will reopen it will be 3 weeks from the club being closed and the first dog showing signs of kc, so if your dogs are still clear by then you can book in as usual.

Really sorry to hear this Barry, wishing them all a speedy recovery. We missed the Coulbourns yesterday x

Wishing all the dogs a speedy recovery x

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back