The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Labradoodle undercoats

Knackered

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi
Odd question maybe, do labradoodles have undercoats?

It depends! With a crossbreed there are variations even between littermates. If you need to know about a specific dog you would need to ask a groomer to look at the coat.

Labradoodles can have undercoats but it depends ask your groomer to have a look for you :)

I thought most double-coaters were pastoral herders: shelties, GSD's...corgis, etc. Neither poodles nor labs are, so maybe this is just a single woolly coat?

Double-coated dogs are in all groups - herding, hunt / gundogs, scenthound, sighthound, U name it.
They have an outer coat of stiffer guard hair, which sheds water, & an undercoat of softer hair as insulation.

In UK, Terri, many labs are classed as single-coated though you're right there can be double-coaters too. I think there's a lot of variation between show and working lines. I've only known single coated labs BUT either type seem to moult non-stop throughout the year. Too high maintenance for me. :( I'd sort-of assumed doodles would be bred from single-coated labs because the point of them originally was to be non-shedding.

QUOTE, merlina:

I'd sort-of assumed "LabraDoodles" [Lab x Poodle] would be bred from single-coated Labs, because the point of [the original cross] was to be non-shedding.

Labradors, to the best of my knowledge, are classed as smooth-coats, but they do have undercoats.

The theory in breeding a cross of Labs & Poodles was that their crossbred progeny would get the non-shed AKA mandatory-groom coat of the Poodle parent, supposedly over-riding the SHED EVERY DAY OF THEIR LIVES Lab-parent's coat.
As it turned out,
- 50% of the F1 progeny shed into the environs every day,
- 50% shed into the coat like the Poodle - &
- all of the crossbred pups inherit the mandatory-groom coat texture.

I'm not sure why the original breeder thot that mandatory-groom was a dominant trait that required only one mandatory-groom parent to determine shed-into-coat, vs shed-into-surroundings.

- terry

Last edited:
QUOTE, Knackered:

...do Lab / Poodle crosses have undercoats?

@Knackered -
Yes. :) The texture of their coats, which is more or less curly, causes them to be mandatory-groom AKA 'non-shed'.
Poodles & Poodle-mixes do shed - as do Airedales, Wire-Coated Fox Terriers, Lhasa-Apsos, Bergomasco, & other curly-coated or wooly-coated breeds, but they shed INTO their own coats, rather than dropping their hairs individually into their surroundings - on the floor, the sofa, the car-seat, ...

If this shed, dead hair is not regularly combed-out of the live, still-growing coat, it accumulates as dense interwoven mats; smaller mats can be split vertically - as if U were slicing them, parallel to the growth of hair. Once split, the smaller mats can often be carefully combed out.
Large mats wider than 4-inches often cannot be split - they must be scissored off by hand, or clipped off with electric clippers, being very very careful not to nick, cut, or burn the dog [friction makes the moving parts of the clippers extremely hot, & touching them to the dog's skin can cause painful burns which can even become infected].

Mats are painful - they pull night & day on the skin beneath them; they collect water, dander, oils from the coat, dirt of all kinds, pollen, bacteria... beneath them, air-flow to the skin is blocked, & yeast will flourish in these dark, moist areas.
Depending upon where they are, mats can restrict the dog's stride / limit their gait, blind them by covering the eyes, make defecation difficult or impossible, & the sheer weight of accumulated dirty knotted locks adds POUNDS to the dog's own body-weight.

Mats also affect behavior: a dog who cannot see can become timid & shrinking, or highly reactive - snappy & vocal, barking sharply & biting to send off perceived threats that s/he cannot see. A dog in pain from tight mats will be hypersensitive to touch, & may bite when handled.
A dog carrying 8 to 12# of mats will overheat easily, & will also be exercise-intolerant - they'll be exhausted just from hauling all that hair around. :(

- terry

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back