The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Laguna Whippet

BornToHunt

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

i was just wondering if anybody has a laguna whippet, as i have heard alot about them and was wondering what the real difference is?

i would be greatful if any1 who had a laguna could post a pic for us to have a look???? or even tell us what its used for (racing, working or showing) plz

mallonk1 said:
Hi
i was just wondering if anybody has a laguna whippet, as i have heard alot about them and was wondering what the real difference is?

i would be greatful if any1 who had a laguna could post a pic for us to have a look???? or even tell us what its used for (racing, working or showing) plz

Hello.

Our Dandy is more than half Laguna. Lila takes her dogs to the Venture Hill Sprint so see if Lloyd has any pics on his site [if the dogs are named!]. Have you tried the Google Image search?

I personally think that a Laguna whippet looks just like any other coursing/racing whippet but I`m a cat breeder! :- "

gavin

laguna whippet? whats the story behind those then? is it a breeder?

I too have heard of this name and wondered are they bigger than other lines or is this a line just like barnesmore or cobyco centre stage? :blink:

:D if you go to www.loot there was 1 for sale on there :luck:

The Laguna affix was started in the 1960's I believe by Mrs Dorrit McKay,they were originally show lines and the most famous sire of all was Laguna Ligonier who sired many Ch's. As far as I know they are now more commonly known within racing lines and are fairly well sought after by some.

Other than this I don't know much more about them,as I show rather than race.But hope this might help out a bit. :)

NORTHERN NEWS ARCHIVE

12/8/2000

It is with great regret that I have to inform you that Mrs D U McKay WCRA President and founding secretary of the WCRA has died at the age of 93.

Mrs McKay will be sadly missed by everyone in the Whippet world but leaves behind her legacy in the form of Laguna Whippets a line which most of our pedigrees are based on (Racing/Showing & Coursing)

Laguna is just an affix like any other. I believe that Laguna were the first kennels to start breeding whippets that were slightly longer in the loin (I believe to help with coursing abaility)

Due to some very successful coursing Laguna dogs, now anybody who wants to flog a litter for working says they are from Laguna lines as they know fully well that it is a well known affix and they often charge a bit more and it helps to sell puppies! Just have a look in the Countrymans weekly. Mind you some are genuinely laguna lines but there are always those that jump on the bandwagon.

The laguna kennel is still very much in existence owned by Mrs Bond-Gunning.

There are many other successful kennels which breed KC reg pups which are successful both in the field and the ring..

Shoalingham

Jimanica

Susan Baird

Terichline

etc etc

Hope this helps :D

Laguna is a kennel name (affix/prefix) yes, just like Barnesmore or Cobyco.

It is one of the most famous of English kennel names.

The Laguna affix was started in the 1960's I believe
(From The Whippet by Bo Bengston ....)

Mrs McKay got her first whippet in 1939 from Stanley Wilkins' Tiptree kennel.

The first major showring success was Laguna Liege who won the CC at the Whippet Club show in 1950.

And as already said Laguna Ligonier is one of the most influential sires of all time.

The Laguna whippets had success in racing, coursing and showing.

The kennel is now carried on by Mrs L M Bond Gunning and seems to focus more on racing? :unsure:

Edited to say :oops: sorry Jo, we must have been posting at the same time I just took a little longer to research my post and didn't see yours in the meantime.

Last edited by a moderator:
aslan said:
Laguna is a kennel name (affix/prefix) yes, just like Barnesmore or Cobyco.
It is one of the most famous of English kennel names.

The Laguna affix was started in the 1960's I believe
from The Whippet by Bo Bengston ....)

Mrs McKay got her first whippet in 1939 from Stanley Wilkins' Tiptree kennel.

The first major showring success was Laguna Liege who won the CC at the Whippet Club show in 1950.

And as already said Laguna Ligonier is one of the most influential sires of all time.

The Laguna whippets had success in racing, coursing and showing.

The kennel is now carried on by Mrs L M Bond Gunning and seems to focus more on racing? :unsure:

[/quote

:oops: Sorry about that,I took years off her Affix :b I'm sure she'll forgive me

The kennel is now carried on by Mrs L M Bond Gunning and seems to focus more on racing?
She's not often seen at racing, she used to live course a lot and she attends the hill climb.

I own a Laguna whippet dog bred by Lilah Bond-Gunning although you may see her referred to as L. Wainman now as she has re-married. He's a fawn with blue mask (DOB 10/11/04) & the sire is CH Welstar Red Robin. He's an absolute delight, :D I will try and post a picture on here (I really can't master it....any tips as it always says it too big)

I also have another dog who sire is a Luguna (Lilah put me on to the breeder as I was looking for a friend for the one I got from her).

My Laguna boy has had a trial at the backend of last year and I hope to race him this year. We go to the Sussex Longdogs association.

My third whippy is a Savuka bitch (she is 5 1/2 mths) and I am quite surprised at the difference her to the other 2......I don't know how to say it in the correct terms but she is much denser in bone....the 2 dogs are finer boned than her, and will probably end up being smaller also.

Lisa

so is sooty sam lines, as famous as Laguna lines?

as them are the most popular whippet lines I hear about.

We have a black Lynperry bitch whos sire was Laguna Light Speed, even at 5 months of age she shows a fine working/coursing aptitude (chases anything that moves) which the Laguna strain became famous for

Polly out of Lynperry Nancy Noodle and Laguna Light Speed

temp4__2_.jpg View attachment 25369 temp1__3_.jpg

not the best pics but blacks just dont stand out

»Tina« said:
so is sooty sam lines, as famous as Laguna lines?
as them are the most popular whippet lines I hear about.

Sooty Sam is just 1 dog (who I have never seen the appeal in :oops: ) ......Laguna is a Mother then Daughter show/coursing "kennel" so to speak ............The Lagunas were very influential at the start of the pedigree Whippet racing scene .......from what i've heard, coursing was the 1st love, hence they concentrated more on this ..........The recent Lagunas that i've seen are smaller than the average show type, and most are in the same scale as the racing bred, but the racers are faster even over a long distance now.........I have a small ammount of Laguna in ALL of my racers .......but this one really does take after her 1/2 coursing breeding (trap 3) ........well when there's nothing live around that is lol ...................

Bings_running.jpg

Just remembered her son is the Black one on my signature, and he has more Laguna in him than his Mum :D

Lets see if this picture stuff works. This is Laguna Lolittas Lad, Dam is Laguna Lilts Lolita. He is known as Jay-Z (yes after the rapper, I have teenage children!!)

Resized_1st_Nov_033.jpg

As you can see I have now got the hang of it....another of my Laguna boy.

Resized_1st_Nov_032.jpg

Our dog has is full Laguna on one side (Laguna Liza's Link), with an awful lot on the dam side too (via Dark Mood/Black Lance). He has been a super coursing dog for us, very strong hunting instinct but with intelligence. I'd agree about speed, they won't be as fast as a racing bred - ours recently came in 3 lengths/1 length behind 2 racing champs of the same age over 350(ish) yards. I only started lure coursing him last year, he's been in the top handful of scores each time out, with one best in field, not bad for a dog only months off being a veteran.

If Gelert and his relatives (including many of the Sooty Sam bred ones), they have lovely temperaments too, very extrovert and affectionate. I know there are a couple of half-sibling of Gelert's on k9, I'd love to hear from anyone else.

Flaming_floyde.jpg

coursing2.jpg

coursing.jpg

more pics and archive Laguna photos

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back