The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Laguna Whippets?

Suerose

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Please could someone explain to me what a Laguna whippet is? What are their special characteristics? When I was out with Gracie the other day someone asked me if she was a Laguna whippet. She is very beautiful (well I would say that!), but I had no idea what they were talking about.

7months_web.jpg

Laguna is a kennel name - I don't know much about them other than they are very well known, but a lot of kennels have a strong line which gives 'a look' which can be recognised by those who know - have a look in her pedigree and see if she has anybody with Laguna in their name

if you go on to the whippet archives there are 4 pages of laguna whippets and the earliest date registered it 1948, so they seem to have been around for years and there are lots of them, not to mantion if any had been sold and then bread by a different breeder the lines would just go on so there could potentialy be thousands :b

Laguna kennel is well know for their dual purpose whippets,racing and showing :thumbsup:

Laguna Kennels were started by Dorrit McKay, she bred many show champions who are behind a lot of todays whippets, she also coursed her dogs. Her daughter Mrs Bond-Gunning still continues the Laguna line, breeding the odd litter, so Laguna whippets are still being bred. They have a strong hunting drive which makes them popular as working whippets.

bertha said:
Laguna Kennels were started by Dorrit McKay, she bred many show champions who are behind a lot of todays whippets, she also coursed her dogs. Her daughter Mrs Bond-Gunning still continues the Laguna line, breeding the odd litter, so Laguna whippets are still being bred. They have a strong hunting drive which makes them popular as working whippets.
Thank you Bertha for that information. I'm hoping Grace won't be too much of a hunter, but I shall take the comparison as a compliment.

This is a photo of Laguna Luciana (Jess) that I imported to New Zealand in 1982 after visiting Mrs McKay and seeing her kennels. This photo was taken sometime in 1984/5.

After mating her to NC CH Laguna Lussac she produced the two first NZ Racing Champions. She also had puppies which went to Australia and to Tasmania. I have sadly been whippetless since 1998.

Peter Foster

Dunedin

New Zealand

Jess 1.jpg

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back