The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Laminate Flooring

~whitecross whippets~

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
i noticed on the pics over the last few months since i joined that a lot of you have laminate flooring...

many dogs...especially leggy dogs.... are badly injured from slipping.

i had it in my last house with my old lurcher and it was lethal especially when she came down the stairs and went flying at the bottom.

i used paw wax but it wasnt much use.

i swore never to have it again and now live in a bungalow with carpet! (w00t)

i suppose i had laminate cos i thought it was more hygenic but i was actually advised by the hospital that it was making my asthma worse because the dander is always flying about whereas a carpet acts as a kind of filter!

what do you think? :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
~whitecross whippets~ said:
the dander is always flying
The only dander that I had heard of (prior to googling the word) is in relation to Temper or Anger as in 'He's got his dander up'

I see it is also used as a term for the detritus from animal skin which is how whitecross whippets has used it. dander

Laminate flooring is something I really like but will not have due to the risks of broken limbs. We have carpet which soon gets dirty but at kleast helps act as a brake when they fly (LITERALLY) in out of the garden. Did try vinyl once and hyard wood. Soon went back to carpet though.

we got laminate mainly for the kids :D given the amount of spillages etc we've gone through, i shudder to think of the cost if carpet had been present :sweating:

neither of our dogs has come to harm on it, either. if anything, theyve learned to be careful on such surfaces (doesnt stop the wall of death happening :rant: they just use the furniture!)

its when carpet is available that problems start :- " dante nearly choked on threads chewed off my daughters rug :eek:

a friend i babysat for had her entire house carpet free on the advice of her doctor, as she and all four of her sons were asthmatic, and she found it helped.

guess everyones different, so stick with what works for you.

We had laminate in our last house. Like the look of it but the practicality of it is not so good. Every little speck of hair or paw print shows up. I became a bit obsessed with polishing it and keeping it spotless - which is obviously v hard if you've got dogs. Also, Chloe would go skidding around all over the place when she got excited. Verdict - wouldn't have it again. New house is carpetted.

I have always had laminate and mine have never injured themselves(I'm touching wood now) and they fly about like nutters, it's easy to hoover(son's into cutting out so thousands of bits of paper every where (w00t) easy to mop( puppy pee :wacko: )if accidents happen and if they come in caked in mud doesn't matter, I did go for a better quality and darker laminate in my dining room than my bedroom though because it gets more stick :thumbsup:

I've got laminate as well but have a great big rug in the living room where Jakey and Jilly do most of their play fighting. (w00t) Usually with Malcolm joining in :D

We've gone from carpet to sanded down & varnished floorboards to laminate & now back to carpet. The floorboards looked lovely for a short time & then scratches started showing from where the dogs ran about on it. Laminate was down for a couple of years but Jok is right, every little speck shows up & some days I must have swept it 6 times :angry: . And the dogs did slip on it when they were having mad moments. Then last year my friends dog ran along her laminate hallway one day when the postman arrived & she slipped right over. It was obvious that she was badly hurt and sadly the vet said she had broken her back in the fall :( . This really shook me up & we have now gone back to carpet. It's only been down for three weeks & already looks mucky but I'd rather have a grubby carpet than a dead or injured dog.

on a vet programme the other day on animal planet there was a lurcher sort of dog who had done the splits ...broke both front legs and knocked all his front teeth out :(

ive laminate through the whole house never had problem with any kind of injury althought i think its better if a pup grows up with it

I have Vinyl throughout the house including the bedrooms. The only carpet is on the stairs and If I could think of a way of getting rid of that I would :- "

I know about the wall of death though, with mine it is the flying out of the dog flap. They all fly off the settee and skid around usually hitting the bin before making out the flap.

Found that the vinyl beds in and becomes less slippery with wear. I have areally good quality one in the sitting room kitchen and that makes a lot of difference

I'm a cold mortal and like my home comforts so carpet for me!! Apart from in our new kitchen (also where the dogs sleep) where I have had the floor properly levelled and big ceramic tiles that look like slate laid. In the Utility Room is cushionflor.

I've only got vinyl in the kitchen/utility and I have three of those rubber backed mats they sell at shows on that. No-one slips on them ( including me LOL)

Laminate all the way!!!

Wouldn't/couldn't possibly have carpet in my living room, i see the crap that i sweep up every day and there's no way i'd have that in my carpet. My 6 are fine on it, no one slips (i think Kit might have struggled with it at first but she was 10 when we moved here and had been kennelled all her life prior) and they can come in with mucky feet and i know that a quick wiz round with the mop and it's as goods as new. I find carpet tends to have that doggy smell no matter how much you hoover/clean it.

Laminate & leather settee, wouldn't be without em!

i have a dyson animal and a bissell carpet cleaner to keep my carpets spotless :thumbsup: i do have a chesterfield though cos i find fabric suites difficult to keep clean :thumbsup:

i only have 2 dogs at the moment .....( ;) but my son probably causes more mess than anything..lol) :lol:

~whitecross whippets~ said:
i have a dyson animal and a bissell carpet cleaner
Same here for the bedroom carpets, still never the same though IMO and the carpet cleaner isn't the kind of thing you can get out everyday like the mop.

I had textured tiles through the hall and kitchen and laminate flooring in the lounge and dining room but I used to throw down washable rugs where there was heavy traffic. I always found hoovering a nightmare but a brush and a mop would blitz everywhere and be dry in 20 mins max. :thumbsup:

I had laminate until johnjoe came home who just a baby feels uneasy walking on it, the other 3 dogs were fine but i had to change to vinyl through the lower of the house with laminate upstairs...could never have carpet with the amount of spillages and dirt that comes in the house mainly through the kids though.

love wood floors,so much cleaner and great if dogs usd to it

I've got vinyl downstairs and in my bedroom and bathroom. The dogs don't slip and downstairs it's nice and dark so the dirt doesn't show up so much! :- " Eventually I will have carpet on the stairs and landing and may be in a bedroom or two but mainly because I miss it. :)

I am so glad I had to rip out the carpets when I first moved in (for damp proofing). With all the canine toilet accidents over the past nearly 4 years, I dread to think what state a carpet would be in (w00t) and that doesn't take into account the times Cassie and Claire have come in wearing the pond!! (w00t) (w00t)

My parents have laminate flooring downstairs which Claire has a problem with. The other dogs are fine (Oliver, Albie and Logan have grown up with it) but she is very unsure. Freddie's much better with it.

Personally I'd always have vinyl because the dogs can get a grip on it. Claire has no problem with it here. :thumbsup:

Oh and I can't have rugs down at the moment because the puppy will pee on them! :rolleyes:

We have laminate in the living room. When we first got it the dogs were all over the place, hilarious but obviously dangerous so we got a big rug which they do all their fighting on :- "

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back