The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

leaving dogs home alone

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Alfie was crated for his first year, during which he managed to shred a whole cushion off a kitchen chair whilst locked in the crate!!! :eek: :lol: .... now that's dedication! :sweating: After the first year I removed the door off the crate and he now uses it as his basket, when we're out he will just lie in there, of course he now has full access to cushions etc but he has never touched one.... I guess there's no fun to it when you're not locked in?!!! :lol:

When we go to work my dogs are left from 8am until 12.30pm when my husband goes home for lunch.

i work 6am to 2pm so once OH goes back to work at 1.30pm and i'm home by 2.15pm.

so basically four and a half hours in the morning the forty five mins in afternoon.

i wouldn't leave a single dog alone this long but as they are together its not so bad.

i would add though that if one is ill or had surgery or hurt itself then i just have a sickie until their better (w00t)

Just wondered what the longest period any of you have left there dogs whilst at work?
I try not to leave mine home alone for more than 4 hours and that's not everyday because I'm lucky enough to work from home.

They used to be crated but now are in the utility room with access to the kitchen too.

Once, because of an emergency, they were alone for 6 hours and they seemed fine but I wouldn't do this regularly out of choice.

I think they probably sleep the whole time I'm gone anyway judging by how much sleeping mine do when I'm here :lol:

edited to add a bit about overnight. When we used the crate, they put themselves to bed voluntarily at 10.30pm. They'd be in the crate all night and we'd then go down and let them out into the garden at about 7am. They always seemed fine with this and were cuddled up together. Some mornings we had to persuade them to come out because they were so cosy and would just stay in there even with the door open :huggles: :b

Last edited by a moderator:
kirsty said:
I used a crate for megan when she had been spayed in case she jumped up and hurt herself when I was out, now she likes to go in it at night with her litttle bed.  Sometimes if I am hoovering and doing the house work she goes upstirs for a snooze in it!
Just wondered what the longest period any of you have left there dogs whilst at work?

i dont work now so im home most of the time....just out for a couple of hours here and there for shopping etc....

but they are left all day on a staurday when we go out ....so i have a dog walker who comes in and out to feed and walk them and they are always fine -_- -_- :lol: :thumbsup:

Lydia said:
Hi Debra, does your bloke realise how good you are to him? We have 6 whippies and a Manchester Terrier in our bed, wouldn't be with out them!

John did mention after the 3rd whippy, that we were getting a bit cramped, so I told him that the garden shed, was available for him to use any time.

He's never mentioned it again, husbands, boyfriends etc. are replaceable, your dogs are not! :D

Lyd

[/quote

hehehe your post made me laugh lol,we have 1 whippie and he sleeps on our bed and when he sprawls out its usually across my legs or in the middle of me and oh and he pushes me out lol. harley makes me laugh because after hes been out for his morning wee he knows he brakfast is ready and after hes finished he goes back upto bed lol, he has a good life!

i have only seen a manchester terrier in books never upclose, they are lovly dogs,are they affectionate like whippets?

maz x

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back