The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

leaving dogs home alone

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi Tucker & welcome. Though Jazzy (2 years) always sleeps on the human bed with us, I always crate her on her own in the house. She grudgeingly accepts us going out if we crate her, but if I leave her loose, she gets very stressed as she doesnt quite know what to do with herself.

Somebody has been going back a long way! This thread started 3 years ago (w00t)

Anyway; I have never crated my dogs, but when they are young I limit their access to a part of the house. They get left in one room and doggy door into the garden. :)

we have never crated ours,as im home most of the time.

once went shopping and the sofa had been scratched(leather),so now the room door is closed.

i have been told by the neighbour that they howl when i go out and only stop when they hear me pull up in the car.

Seraphina said:
Anyway;  I have never crated my dogs, but when they are young I limit their access to a part of the house.  They get left in one room and doggy door into the garden. :)

Thats what I was thinking Lida, I wonder if he did crate or not he hasn't been on since then :lol:

I crate mine for their own safety as much as anything because they get upto mischeif, except Sienna all that nonsence that they get up to it way too beneath her :* she sleeps on the sofa but they all like it in their crates because they are more like dens :D and callie goes in there to have some peace and quiet -_-

i have 3 dogs....

casper who i got as an adult...who i have never crated o:)

gypsy who i got as a puppy who was crated until she was about 7 months old

and monty who i had from a puppy too who has never been crated ever.....casper has the run of the house but gypsy and monty have a dog gate to stop them going in rooms with expensive furniture (w00t)

Last edited by a moderator:
i crate both mine at night and in the warmer weather, i put them outside in their run....

I have left Tilly on her own but only in the hall and kitchen no problems o:) , i wont trust bean for a very very long time :devil: if ever she is so naughty

I must be lucky, as I always leave Polly and Twiggy (and ,if her owner is out with me, my neighbour's KCC) uncrated with the run of the house. They all get a little plate of treats as we leave. There is no mess or signs that they have done anything other than sleep on the chairs and settee while we are out. They are only left for up to 4 hours max and no more than a couple of times a week.

The 2 whippies also sleep with me - in a single bed!! Fortunately they generally take turns during the night but both get in around 7 am, until I get up!

Janet (whose signature seems to have gone AWOL!!)

I didn't crate Evie or Gracie and they havn't caused any damage o:) They always get a treat before we go out and one when we get back.

I have got a crate but just use it in the car.

My two whippets and the whippet cross have never been crated and have the whole house to play in whether i'm there or not.

My beagle has never been crated and my boxer was crated for a couple of weeks to toilet train her.

The boxer and beagle go in the conservatory when we are at work only because the boxer steals things and the beag is her best friend.

the three whippety ones sleep on or in my bed depending on the weather and the boxer sleep on the sofa or on a cushion by the bed depending on her mood.

beagle boy sleeps on a bean bag by the bed tooo. :)

Yep our adult dogs are loose in the house too,they have the run of the entire place and our pups are only crated if we are away for a longer amount of time than usual but normally they come with us, they are all in our bedroom at night,all seven of them!! :D

My two have pretty much access to all areas when i'm out. They are both angels, I have never arrived home to any damage or mess. Only crated them when they were young pups for their own safety and never left them confined for more than 2 hours ever.

It's nice to hear of many owners giving their dogs a bit of freedom when they have to be left.

I'd hate to think of dogs being crated everyday for a long length of time, I think that is actually very cruel. :(

mazza said:
My two have pretty much access to all areas when i'm out. They are both angels, I have never arrived home to any damage or mess. Only crated them when they were young pups for their own safety and never left them confined for more than 2 hours ever.
It's nice to hear of many owners giving their dogs a bit of freedom when they have to be left.

I'd hate to think of dogs being crated everyday for a long length of time, I think that is actually very cruel. :(

totally agree with you.

Its generally regarded as cruel to leave a dog crated for more than four hours and certainly any book you pick up recommends this as an absolute maximum.Even the biggest cage available doesn't give an adult dog sufficient space to move around and stretch out comfortably....i know i have the biggest cage there is from when my boxer was a baby. :(

*Lesley* said:
Seraphina said:
Anyway;  I have never crated my dogs, but when they are young I limit their access to a part of the house.  They get left in one room and doggy door into the garden. :)

Thats what I was thinking Lida, I wonder if he did crate or not he hasn't been on since then :lol:

I crate mine for their own safety as much as anything because they get upto mischeif, except Sienna all that nonsence that they get up to it way too beneath her :* she sleeps on the sofa but they all like it in their crates because they are more like dens :D and callie goes in there to have some peace and quiet -_-

oh yeah....never noticed...lol :lol: :lol: (w00t) :oops:

totally agree with you.

Its generally regarded as cruel to leave a dog crated for more than four hours and certainly any book you pick up recommends this as an absolute maximum.Even the biggest cage available doesn't give an adult dog sufficient space to move around and stretch out comfortably....i know i have the biggest cage there is from when my boxer was a baby. :(

what about at night i cage Tilly and Bean at night time from 10pm till 730am, they are happy and i have never had problems

I have a crate - its left open but hardly used at all now. :- " My two have a whole utility room with a sofa bed in and several doggy beds too - leading to a hallway which leads to the garden.

Kobi can fit through the catflap so regularly goes for trips into the garden :- " ...... but Oscar is happy to stay inside till I come home, which is usually about 4 hours at the most.

Kobi has often been seen in the garden at 5am chasing birds :- " because my daughter has seen him through the window - little monkey.

They have chewed an arm and cushion from the sofa bed, but on the whole seem to be getting better and better now when I leave them. :*

totally agree with you.

what about at night i cage Tilly and Bean at night time from 10pm till 730am, they are happy and i have never had problems

I think many people crate their puppies at night, although I really don't see the neccesity for it as they get older.

Have you tried leaving the door open and letting them have the space of the kitchen, so they can go to their sleeping quarters when they want.

Dogs, like us really do prefer to sleep at night.

There has to come a time when you should feel they will be safe enough to allow the crate door to be open, you wouldn't want to crate them every night indefinately, i'm sure.( that sounds patronising, sorry).

My three have almost the run of the house apart from the bedrooms - as the boys like to destuff the matresses :rant: , and although they have had their moments proving me wrong that I havent puppy proofed the house :b , Id rather know they were happy curled up on the sofa or playing etc than them be in a cage :thumbsup:

Janimal said:
I have a crate - its left open but hardly used at all now. :- "  My two have a whole utility room with a sofa bed in and several doggy beds too - leading to a hallway which leads to the garden. Kobi can fit through the catflap so regularly goes for trips into the garden  :- " ...... but Oscar is happy to stay inside till I come home, which is usually about 4 hours at the most.

Kobi has often been seen in the garden at 5am chasing birds :- "  because my daughter has seen him through the window - little monkey.

They have chewed an arm and cushion from the sofa bed, but on the whole seem to be getting better and better now when I leave them. :*

Sorry meant to add this is only when I go out and at nightime - mine also have the run of the house the rest of the time too. :huggles:

I used a crate for megan when she had been spayed in case she jumped up and hurt herself when I was out, now she likes to go in it at night with her litttle bed. Sometimes if I am hoovering and doing the house work she goes upstirs for a snooze in it!

Just wondered what the longest period any of you have left there dogs whilst at work?

kirsty said:
I used a crate for megan when she had been spayed in case she jumped up and hurt herself when I was out, now she likes to go in it at night with her litttle bed.  Sometimes if I am hoovering and doing the house work she goes upstirs for a snooze in it!
Just wondered what the longest period any of you have left there dogs whilst at work?

Don’t think anybody would admit to leaving their dogs longer than is good for them.

Obviously some people do work full time and own dogs too but it’s certainly not in a dog’s best interests to be left alone all day and far from ideal. God forbid that any poor dog is crated for the duration of. If work commitments mean leaving a dog for 8 hours a day then a cat would be a more suitable pet.

The best gift you can give a dog is your time. :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back