The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Leaving Racing

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
aww hope colt continues to recover well :huggles: :luck: :luck:

I was gutted when my pup broke her leg chasing a cabbage white buttterfly down a bank. Front leg was broke in two places and the first vet said she would never race and could not set it. The 2nd vet practice (a local vet) managed to fix it without the need to insert plates and pins. The leg mended fine and straight and after a few months of lead walking her limp disappeared. After months of galloping her I introduced her to racing although not a top racing dog she is fun to take out and loves all her toys. Sadly she has never won a race but someone had to have the slowest one. We called her Calamity Jane. Keep your chin up, at the time you think u are the only one that has had this happen to but there are quite a few out there that this has happened it. Please re think your decision and love to Colti.

If you pm me your number Sue I'll phone you. Got loads of min. on my phone got no mates so dont phone anyone :oops: . But speak slow I always have trouble understanding the scotish if they speak fast. (w00t) hope to here from you soon.

This the 2nd dog we have had with this break, the first dog after 12 weeks of trying to save it, the leg was amputated (sp) that was BJ the 1st .

Colt is doing fantastic, all the wounds have healed, so nothing like BJ 1st. We think both plates are to stay in, but this might change over the month's to come, just wait and see. He's not limping much, as he pulls a fair bit on the lead, the daft wee bugger. He is putting weight on, the most Ive seen on a whippet in a long time, with the 2 white boy's being fussy eaters LOL. Colt love's his food, so cutting him down a wee bit, but it's hard as you do feel sorry for him, being couped up in the cage.

Im more worried about when the time come's and he's to be let out the cage off the lead and he's a very hyper wee man. He's bad enough on the lead LOL.

Im going to try very hard to keep him in a confind safe area (eg the kitchen, when im cooking), then back into the big cage as I dont want him bouncing about like Robbie & Gizmo, over time I will get less stressed out with him (I hope )

John can't wait to walk him, like the other 2 and I think Colt will enjoy his longer walk, when the vet tell's us it's safe to do so.

Our vet is hopefull Colt can race and you never know over time, loads, I might let John race Gizmo again. Colt wont race now though.

I do know of your dog Madrid (Calamity Jane)must have read it in the whippet news. I never knew she broke her leg.

Thank's Sharon, I know what it's like not having a minute as Colt is taking a lot of time up and my hand is still very sore, but seeing the surgeon this week, so hope the hand will be okay soon.

to sue and john sorry to hear about your pup hope all goes well see you in scotland 2008 Fran and Burt

fran&bert said:
to sue and john sorry to hear about your pup hope all goes well see you in scotland 2008 Fran and Burt
Hello Fran and Bert nice to see you online I hope both of you are keeping well. Colt is going to the vet who done the operation tomorrow to get checked over so fingers crossed it goes well I am sure Susan will let everyone know after we get back how it went. I am sure I will see you at some point next year good luck with the racing.

:( Okay I need to let everyone know, I HAVE LEFT RACING :- " , But John's NOT !!!!!

He's not getting to run Colt or the white boys, even though he's talking about Gizmo all the time (how good he could be) (w00t) I realy wish I could relent and let him run Gizzy, but right now I cant,,still too soon for me to let him run :(

A wee update on the twat from hell COLT (w00t) , Who we love realy :thumbsup:

Colt was at the ortho vet hospital last Monday and boy has his leg grown, about 1- 2 ins. The plates are now not above the wrist, but almost 2in more up his leg (w00t) The breaks are looking great on the x-rays, healed as good as new, both plates are staying in his leg (if he goes lame over time, yrs I hope) they are to come out :( Colt's still in his cage for another 3 weeks (as he's bloody mental) (w00t) but is out the cage more often as he's out in the pc room or the kitchen with me :thumbsup: He's to go back in January for a check up :) then he's a normal house dog, full run of the house :cheers:

Colt's getting 25 min walks with Rob & Gizzy, 7 days a week, but that's to get stepped up over the coming weeks, till the normal whippet/racing walk. I have been teaching Colt a few normal doggy tricks, in the kitchen, just mum & Colt time, he's now sitting and doing down on command (w00t) Im now, this week going to teach him the shake with his paw, or high 5, I bet he uses his bad leg (w00t) Colt is doing very well, he's now 22lbs all FAT :oops: , but John's putting that right with the walking.

Im glad we got this wee guy, yes he wont run races, but boy is he so loving and trusting to all of us, a fantastic little guy, who loves us and so full of life (just daft as a hatter) :oops: He's a good guard dog too, barks at every noise in the garden :lol: The only bad thing is he's not trusting stranger's, but I hope to put right over the coming months. He wont let stranger's pet him on the walks. He let's kids clap/touch him but adult's, he back's behind John or the 2 white lads.

I hope to see all my racing pals (Scottish and English) at the Eng/Scot Derby's in 2008 :cheers:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back