The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Leia & Maggs Out Of The Vets

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Glad to hear their home :D Hopefully it will be a speedy recovery and

you get many more years of enjoyment out of them :D

Aww- poor girls :( Good job they are home with you :) Just heard somebodys dog got bitten by Polly joke beach yesterday- not as quick as you to get the vet I dont think, and looks like the poor dog will need to be PTS :( Also a couple of children got bitten in the dunes at Holywell last week :eek: . No signs in either of these places- we often tell holidaymakers whose children play barefooted in the dunes that there are adders there- most of them just stare like we have just beamed down from outer space, and a couple have just laughed, clearly thinking we were the local loonies!

Good luck with Leia and Magpie, hope it is all plain sailing :luck:
They don't live in the country and just don't understand, witness them ignoring the flags on the beaches and swimming in dangerous conditions. There should really be no warnings about adders, they are part of our natural history, leave them alone and there is no problem. I have seen people kill a poor grass snake because they don't know the difference.

Nobody teaches natural history properly any more, we learnt all about adders and other things at school. Another thing, Weaver fish, warn them, they take no notice. it will not happen to them!!!!!!! :rant:

Aww- poor girls :( Good job they are home with you :) Just heard somebodys dog got bitten by Polly joke beach yesterday- not as quick as you to get the vet I dont think, and looks like the poor dog will need to be PTS :( Also a couple of children got bitten in the dunes at Holywell last week :eek: . No signs in either of these places- we often tell holidaymakers whose children play barefooted in the dunes that there are adders there- most of them just stare like we have just beamed down from outer space, and a couple have just laughed, clearly thinking we were the local loonies!

Good luck with Leia and Magpie, hope it is all plain sailing :luck:

:eek: What the hell was it yesterday an ANNUAL ADDER DAT OUT or something.???? sorry to here about the lady's dog, (I walk out there too) not until winter now I think. :angry:

You won't see me up the Lost Church now unless it's pissing down or have these adders got life jackets too. :lol:

I know what you mean about the holiday makers, some just won't be told. :rant: take care of your whippets when your out there. :thumbsup: Di

HOPE THEY ARE FEELING A LOT BETTER TODAY :luck: :huggles:

How are they today? I hope the swelling is greatly reduced and they are a bit more comfortable.

:thumbsup: Thanks again for all your concern, I very pleased with both girls, Maggi's swelling on her face as nearly all gone, ;) and Leia's face swelled a bit more last night but as started to come down now and she seems fine in her self although she gets tired very quick and sleeps a lot which is good because she is resting.

Both eating well, peeing and pooing normally, (I'm very pleased with their recovery so far but I'm keep and good eye on them. :unsure: will up date this again tonight for all concerned. :thumbsup: Di

AdderbiteJuly2009006.jpg

Sorry about Skippy's balls in the first couple of pictures. :eek:
Had to laugh at this Diane :lol: :lol:

Glad Leia & Meggs are home :D no place like home for a quick recovery :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Derrrr.... how dumb am I, i said to Sadie i can see a cuddly toy but where are the balls !!!!! lol her reply was 'Mother are you thick' actually i think she was a bit harsh lol

Glad the girls are both on the mend.

Oh bless, they really do look sorry for themselves :wub:

Glad they're home :luck:

TCx

Derrrr.... how dumb am I, i said to Sadie i can see a cuddly toy but where are the balls !!!!! lol her reply was 'Mother are you thick' actually i think she was a bit harsh lol
Glad the girls are both on the mend.

:lol: Couldn't help laughing at your post, that's just the sort of thing I would of said. (w00t) mind you I'm blind as a bat. 8) Di

:) I'm feeling a lot better today and so are the girls, in fact they have come home now and Leia is sleeping soundly under the table as i type., only she doesn't look much like a lurcher at the moment, more like a duck bill platypus, :lol: Maggie's swelling has come right down and her little face is nearly back to normal but her chest is all bruised whereI suppose the poison started to take affect, because she took the first bite and Leia got the second, (not so much venom) better in one way because Maggie is the bigger dog. (if you know what I mean). They still aren't out of the woods yet thou because it takes at least 14 days to get the all clear and hope it hasn't damaged their liver or kidneys in any way. :( They've got a load of medication to take, and we've got a nice bill. :lol:

A good way to train a dog or puppy to say away from adders is to tye a rubber snake to an electric fence, (low voltage) and when the dog goes up to it or even grabs at it (if it's a pup) they will get a shock and that's how they learn, They associate the snake with pain and say well clear of it, . Well worth trying if you value your dogs life or if you live in an area where adders are fairly common. Could save your dog or a vet bill. ;) This was told to me today by the vet who use to do it with lion cubs that had been hand reared and needed to learn.

Well here's a few pictures of the two, hard to beleive that Maggie's face was almost twice the size of Leia's last night.

A big THANK YOU to everyone who as showed concern on here it won't be forgotten. :thumbsup: Di

AdderbiteJuly2009009.jpg

AdderbiteJuly2009008.jpg

OMG!!!! you poor things you!!! so glad you have them home, a very good tip , im sure if we asked a mod it could be pinned somewhere and what to do if bitten by a snake xxx

:)) Yes that would be a good idea. Both dogs are back at the vets tomorrow for a check, but they both seem to be back to normal, playing, falling out (like girls do) :lol: and leia is bossing every one around, :p I have been so lucky it could of been a lot worse. :( ;) Di

Last edited by a moderator:
we have adders in this area , you are so lucky , our vets has a signs up saying how many dogs are bittten each year !!!

gentle hugs to the platypuss twins :D xxx

we have adders in this area , you are so lucky , our vets has a signs up saying how many dogs are bittten each year !!!
gentle hugs to the platypuss twins :D xxx

:lol: I like that platypus twins, many thanks posh totty, ;) Di

:) Thanks Amanda but don't think we will be able to come to the racing next week :( rally gutted, but then I'd rather have the girls well and with me, if you know what i mean. ;) Di

The rest of the Cornish will be there. (w00t)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back