The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Letting Traps Go

DavidH

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
what do you think???????

bit of concern about the time the traps are loosed at the start of a race???

i.m.p only, i think that there should be a set length 10 yards scr races, and in yd a lb 5 yards past top dog as the lure will be flying past the front dog.

as the length of lure varies greatly with some 25/30 yards before loosed i.m.p to far ahead.

this would let the dogs fine tune there trapping and make for a better race, and maybe not pick as many injurys by going backwards and fowards in the traps and coming out all shapes which cause whip injurys etc.

a peg or cone could be placed to asist the trap man with the distance.

in full agreement with you David,seen many a dog running up just going through the motions because they have lost sight of the lure

they seem to be chasing the dogs with there head up in the air,good thread this :thumbsup:

its best to hit them straight away , pointless putting a cone down as ure just leaving ureself open to complaints, if u pull em after the cone then what would happen, a decent trapman knows what hes doing, ive never had any complaints!

I can see your point dave you can change a race at boxs beening opened to fast or slow could be good idea :thumbsup: :

Last edited by a moderator:
I've often wondered why on the scratch racing why the traps have to be placed so close together, surly if the were spaced a bit further apart any dogs that might comes out at an angle, (like they some times do) due to not trapping to good on the day, would have more room to correct them selves without interfering with the dog next to it, :blink: also it's easier for the people putting their dogs in the traps. :p

Perhaps there's a good reason why they are placed close together, maybe some could enlighten me as to why this is please.???

Sorry Davidh for asking this on your post, but i think like a few others that trapping is just as important as the race it's self. :thumbsup: interesting subject. :thumbsup: di

I agree with pig if you have a set marker you will have people complaining if the traps are pulled before or after the marker.

Not being funny but when ya doing the traps you have to watch the lure and keep an eye on the traps making sure they all go up together etc if you have to look for a set marker aswell i think its making things more complicated.

I've never seen the lure go that far in front on the straights that a dog loses it before its out the boxes even when you have a big dog giving a little un its yards. ( i had a 32lber and used to run it with my mums little 16lber at club and she never lost the lure out boxes)

Only thing on the odd time dogs get let out to soon and they catch the lure before it gets going but at times little things do go wrong and thats just racing.

just my opinion (w00t)

i tent to agree with sadie on this one. but gabbitas has asked a very very good question, why do the traps have to b so close together? it is hard when your trying to get a 50lb dog in the trap whose a sod anyway and it may take 2 of u to get them in ie me and peter with nikki whizz its very hard 2 of u trying to get a dog in when the traps r so close together.i do agree with david on how far in front the lure shud b wot i dont like is when its too near. @ westerhope terry uses the flag 4 the trap man always has done. : the rising sun u tend to do it b4 the metal fence dpeneding on marks etc i dont agree with having a cone but wot about a flag man/woman?

GOOD TRAP MAN AND GOOD LURE MAN SHOULD BE KNOW PROBLEM BUT AGREE WITH DI DO THINK TRAPS ARE SOMETIMES MUCH TO CLOSE TOGETHER

i dont know if im right but from doing the traps a couple of times i would think that the traps are close together as it makes it easier to get the tension on the ropes all the same making the lids go up together if the traps are wide apart makes it harder to pull :blink: :unsure:

not sure tho just what i would guess at :thumbsup:

ah yes u cud b right sadie but sometimes its seems like theres not even an inch between them lol (w00t)

bwra traps for champs are all joined together cant get much closer than that and not really seen any problem with that !! :thumbsup: do agree with the lure sometimes going to far infront before traps open and every trap man as the own way of working out when to open traps, i know Tony opens traps soon as it pass the front trap and i think thats the best way, if i do trap/s at club ( not in racers just run up's ) i open the trap soon as the lure moves with electric lures they are so fast away unless it breaks down, dogs should'nt catch it, also think the lure driver often gets the blame for the lure going to far but I.M.O its upto the trap man as well to get the traps open :thumbsup: maybe not a good topic just before champs lol no one will want to do traps now lol (w00t)

Pisses me off when the lure is placed afew inches from the middle trap, when it should be placed a yard away :angry:

These are a couple of the BWRA rules re trapping and lure !!!! :thumbsup:

In yrds/lbs racing not less then 9 and no more than 12 inches apart, in Scratch Racing traps to be 9 inches apart.

The Lure shall be placed 1 yard in front of the middle trap, when all traps are on scratch.

The Lure shall be no more than 10 yards in front of the traps when the traps are released, when all the traps are on scratch.

I just say thank goodness we have people willing to do these jobs, lure, traps, organising etc easy to be a critic or give constructive ideas but someone has to carry out the tasks :wacko:

can you imagine if you complained because the traps didnt open after the lure had gone 10 yards, as its a rule i persume you would get a re run,

yea right! (w00t) ud get laughed at

can you imagine if you complained because the traps didnt open after the lure had gone 10 yards, as its a rule i persume you would get a re run,
yea right! (w00t) ud get laughed at
in your case you may get a slap(w00t) (w00t) :sweating: :sweating:

These are a couple of the BWRA rules re trapping and lure !!!! :thumbsup:
In yrds/lbs racing not less then 9 and no more than 12 inches apart, in Scratch Racing traps to be 9 inches apart.

The Lure shall be placed 1 yard in front of the middle trap, when all traps are on scratch.

The Lure shall be no more than 10 yards in front of the traps when the traps are released, when all the traps are on scratch.

I just say thank goodness we have people willing to do these jobs, lure, traps, organising etc easy to be a critic or give constructive ideas but someone has to carry out the tasks :wacko:
think the rule for champs is diff karen regarding traps they should be joined, :thumbsup: but agree with the lure being a yd in front of scratch traps to allow all dogs to see it :thumbsup:

We may now see people going to the traps equipped with a 12" ruler to measure gaps between traps and a tape measure for 10 yards marker for trap release - oh bugger just another rule to adhere to i think NOT lol :clown: (w00t)

We may now see people going to the traps equipped with a 12" ruler to measure gaps between traps and a tape measure for 10 yards marker for trap release - oh bugger just another rule to adhere to i think NOT lol :clown: (w00t)
Bound to be a fella with the 12" ruler Karen (w00t) :b

i dont know if im right but from doing the traps a couple of times i would think that the traps are close together as it makes it easier to get the tension on the ropes all the same making the lids go up together if the traps are wide apart makes it harder to pull :blink: :unsure:
not sure tho just what i would guess at :thumbsup:

That's the reason i was thinking Sadie, :thumbsup: but a little more room for us fat arsed bugger's, :lol: would make it a lot easier. :lol: di

Bound to be a fella with the 12" ruler Karen (w00t) :b
You could be right Karen, but have to say i'm not getting into that topic whippet fella's and the size of their rulers (w00t)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back