The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Life With Millie

Glenys Rutter

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I am new to showing dogs (also to using chatrooms). Millie is a 6 months brindle whippet. I wonder if she is the naughtiest animal 0f her type or just typical of her

breed. In the last couple of weeks she has destroyed the contents of my first aid box, pulls the washing off the line, loves gardening (my plants are all in hanging baskets now), she cat leaps onto the kitchen cupboards - you name it she has done it. Dispite all this she is the most lovable, gentle dog I have owned. She has company most of the day of humans and two other dogs.

Any ideas how long this behavior could last.

Glenys

:lol: :lol: She is a puppy :lol: :lol:

My Tam is almost 7 months and I have to say is as good as gold :- " well most of the time he is :thumbsup: . The only bad thing he does is the washing thing and digging holes in the garden :oops: . His dad on the other hand was murder as a pup :eek: ,,he chewed walls, doors, toys well almost anything he could chew he would chew it :oops: . Robbie is now a wee o:) . He get's the run of the house day and night, never chews and plays with his own toys now.

Your puppy is doing what pups do. Give her lot's of chews and toys to play with,,,in the garden a football, burst is best :thumbsup: . Im sure other's have got advice to give :D

Welcome to K9 :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a completely normal whippet to me!! :* Polly is 3 and a half and still going stronge - they think up more devious things as they get older, that's all. I guess owners of old dogs will also tell you they just never totally grow out of such behaviour. :oops:

My advice is sit back and enjoy her puppy time (photos please!!) as she will grow up and calm down but visits from the devil whippie will continue for as long as she lives (w00t)

I'm sure others will have much better advise for you, but Polly is my first whip. I was so tempted to send her back during the first 6 months or so (I have MS and never expected such a whirling dervish of naughtieness to cope with) but I am SO glad I persevered as she is such a loving and gentle dog and my bestest friend :wub:

Hi, yep I agree, typical Whippet pup. Lots of toys, fun time etc. She will calm done as she matures and then will be so lazy you'll have to drag her off the sofa :lol: .

Edited to say, any chance of a pic of her, what is her breeding. I :wub: brindles

Hi Glenys, welcome to k9 :) .I have an eight month old who is naughty too. He's always stealing stuff and I have to put everything out of paws reach. I don't really have any advice, he is my first whip puppy my other was about eighteen months when we got her. I think it's just part puppy part whippety thing and something that will improve gradually as he matures, hope so anyway :unsure: . Any pics of your Millie please?

Hi Glenys , welcome to K( and the wonderful world of whippets. I am also on my first whippet, Codie,(brother of Tam and son of Robbie, See Susan's answer)

Sounds to me like you have a normal healthy puppy.

This is my first Whippy, but I have read 3 books on them. Pups only know what you teach them.

You need to teach them what is good and bad, but the most important thing is that Whippets are a very sensative breed, they DO NOT respond well to scolding, a very firm voice is enough to let him know if he is in the wrong, but dont forget that when he is in the right he needs major praise, he will not be long in learning.

If Codie does something wrong eg he chewed a peice of our kitchen door once, when I came in i pointed at the door and said in my (bad boy ) voice,,, " who did that", right awaythe ears go down and of he creeps to bed, knowing he has done wrong, he has never chewed the door again.

This is a good approach, "Who did that" will not always work first time but it does work better shouting and bouling or heaven forbit smacking.

From what I have read you have a healthy happy puppy, you only need to worry when he is not playing, chasing the washing digging etc, then you have an unhappy pup.

Give him loads of toys inside and out, and most important, give him loads of praise and love, he will return it 10 fold.

:cheers:

Gavin

the_gang.jpg

Dont worry too much Glynis... just keep your eyes peeled all the time (w00t) :lol:

I have a pup 19 weeks and a dog 1 year old and they are both naughty at times. :devil: :devil:

Make sure they have plenty of toys, chews etc. This dosnt stop them altogether but does help. :- "

Kobis last victims were .... 2 boxes of Ink cartridges - luckily hadnt got into the ink itself. (w00t) my daughters school book - oh and the other day a video box and a pencil holder. (w00t) (w00t) (w00t)

Oy yes :rant: (almost forgot) :rant: and a shoe that Id only worn twice - my new black stillettos. :- "

so not too much then eh?? :lol: :oops:

Hello Glenys, welcome to K9 :thumbsup:

One tip I found really helpful when Josie was little was to use stairgates across the doorways of rooms I want to keep people-friendly and undestroyed. Although having said that, I don't get much destruction because Josie isn't like other pups, she's an angel who very quickly grew out of chewing and digging - but I think all that will change on 21st August when Lola comes to live. I can't be so lucky twice :- " :lol:

Help! :lol: what have I let myself in for??

Yes Helen Ive purchased a stair gate when I got Oscar - it is a godsend - I can limit them to one room when I go out. :thumbsup:

Hope youve got a Crate too Glenys :thumbsup:

Hi Gleny's. welcome to k9 :D

I have a 14 week old pup :wub: who is into everything too, she tries to leap on the worktop and table, my 11 month old brindle whippet :wub: has gone through 3 pairs of slippers in the last 2 weeks, chewing the cormers of cushions,also enjoys making little holes in my bedroom rug, like minature crop circles!!!!and is excellent at removing stuffing from her toys, shredding is also a favourite pastime mainly tissues, hence all our bins are on the window cills!! (w00t)

The older ones are ok, are much better behaved o:) , they like sleeping and chilling out.

It doesn't last long, they all seem to grow up so fast, my 11 month old is probably older than the others were, they had settled down at a younger age, but she does seem very young for her age that maybe why my 11 month old is still quite michievious, you have a perfectly normal whippet by the sound of it, hope you have a great time with her, she sounds lovely :wub:

Hi And Welcome to K9.

Millie sounds like a normal whippy puppy :wub:

Star is 2 now and if I dont exercise her regularly (2 or 3 times a day) and do some playing / training with her she is up to no good the whole time. If her mind/body is exercised then she is ususally quite happy to sleep -_- for few hours until the next walk.

I know you cant do too much exercise with a young pup so how about giving her something to do - play with her, do some gentle training, get her a kong toy etc. If you cant supervise her then pop her in an indoor kennel.

She will still do whippety things, but perhaps less often.

I'd stop her jumping on the bench and be quite firm with her- what if she jumps onto a hot pan :(

Welcome to K9 Glenys.

I also have a young whippet, 7 month old Annie.

What you describe is normal puppy behaviour; she is just exploring and learning about the world around her, albeit sometimes destructive in our eyes. I learnt quickly that anything precious should be put out of reach; don’t put temptation in her way.

My pup Annie’s worst offence is digging craters in the lawn, as soon as I catch her doing it I point to the mess and say” naughty who’s done that”, and she knows she has done wrong but the urge to dig in the lawn is very strong and I just persist with keeping an eye on her when we’re out in the garden. I’m sure she will grow out of it one day.

As others have said give lots of praise when she is doing well and never scare her by shouting at her, or she could become frightened and nervous of you.

Don’t let her become bored, whippets don’t like to be left on their own for long, a nice big meaty bone can distract them for a good while. If possible let her have access to a room with a window if shes left on her own, they like to be able to see outside if possible.

All whippets love a good run off the lead, they can really let go and get rid of some of that pent up energy too.

Enjoy Millie, she won’t be a pup for long. :huggles:

mazza said:
Welcome to K9 Glenys.I also have a young whippet, 7 month old Annie.

What you describe is normal puppy behaviour; she is just exploring and learning about the world around her, albeit sometimes destructive in our eyes. I learnt quickly that anything precious should be put out of reach; don’t put temptation in her way.

My pup Annie’s worst offence is digging craters in the lawn, as soon as I catch her doing it I point to the mess and say” naughty who’s done that”, and she knows she has done wrong but the urge to dig in the lawn is very strong and I just persist with keeping an eye on her when we’re out in the garden. I’m sure she will grow out of it one day.As others have said give lots of praise when she is doing well and never scare her by shouting at her, or she could become frightened and nervous of you.

Don’t let her become bored, whippets don’t like to be left on their own for long, a nice big meaty bone can distract them for a good while. If possible let her have access to a room with a window if shes left on her own, they like to be able to see outside if possible.

All whippets love a good run off the lead, they can really let go and get rid of some of that pent up energy too.

Enjoy Millie, she won’t be a pup for long. :huggles:

Chelsea (7) and Mollie (10) say they are sure they will grow out of digging too......one day! (w00t)

What we percieve as being NAUGHTY, puppies percieve as having FUN :lol: .

Juley said:
My pup Annie’s worst offence is digging craters in the lawn, as soon as I catch her doing it I point to the mess and say” naughty who’s done that”, and she knows she has done wrong but the urge to dig in the lawn is very strong and I just persist with keeping an eye on her when we’re out in the garden. I’m sure she will grow out of it one day.
Chelsea (7) and Mollie (10) say they are sure they will grow out of digging too......one day! (w00t)

Think I should order those patio slabs now :lol:

mazza said:
Welcome to K9 Glenys.I also have a young whippet, 7 month old Annie.

Oh No - thought this was a phase too - Oscar and Kobi have decided they would like to go to Oz - but not the conventional way :oops: to say Hi to Lida and Tesa and Aslan ;) thought they would gow out of this too, but seems....according to Juley ..NOT :lol: :lol:

Oh no does that mean I'm never going to have a nice lawn again (w00t)

I thought that my two would grow out of it as well :lol:

Yep sounds normal to me.

I have Macy she is 2 and Lola she is 6 months. Macy had settled down but since Lola has come on the scene she is helping her out in the naughty stakes!!! They abosolutely adore digging and as soon as I've filled one of their craters they are both there having another go and they think its a game. Needless to say I've given up :blink:

Your pup will calm down but that devilish streak will always be there!!!

:- " Glenys is my mum The one and only Millie is Maggie Blaze and Rosie's sister.

I am glad you have all told her Millie is a normal whippet puppy I've been telling her that for about 3 months.I have also told her she needs a cage. :- "

Hopefully this is Millie age 12 weeks

View attachment 18518

Juley said:
Hi, yep I agree, typical Whippet pup. Lots of toys, fun time etc.  She will calm done as she matures and then will be so lazy you'll have to drag her off the sofa :lol: .
Edited to say, any chance of a pic of her, what is her breeding. I  :wub:   brindles

I bred her she is by Barnesmore El Bandito out of Barnesmore Gypsy Girl at Oakmoorehill

PA120263.JPG

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back