The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Litter Brothers

anne payne

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
:cheers: About one month ago I posted a request for advice on having two 8 week old Whippet pups together.

17 of you kindly replied with advice, support and the occasional dire warning!

Many of you asked for photos so here are a few.

Anyway it has been so far so good with the pups. They play fight quite a bit then crash out for an hour or two before resuming the fun and games. They do seem to really love each other and importantly us as well, always looking for attention and loving. No bonding issues yet!

Too young for much training, they were clean from day one and simply go in and out of the new dog flap. We do try to separate them some times for individual attention and this is well received.

When old enough to go out we intend to take them together and individually.

Our vet says the diet sheet given us by the breeder should not be followed. It advises giving goats milk and rusks, chicken, rice and veg, fish etc. The new vet says just to give them dry science food.

Any thoughts?

Best wishes

Anne Payne

i would follow the breeders diet sheet , after all thats what they have been fed on and it looks a sensible diet sheet too , your vet will suggest dry food as they are usually on comission :- "

think about if you would like a variety of different foods or be stuck to boring dry biscuits EVERY day :thumbsup:

go with the breeder :thumbsup: good luck with your new babies :luck:

anne payne said:
Our vet says the diet sheet given us by the breeder should not be followed. It advises giving goats milk and rusks, chicken, rice and veg, fish etc. The new vet says just to give them dry science food.Any thoughts?

Change your vet!! (w00t) I expect your vet sells the Hills Science as well... :- " There is lots of advice available of feeding on here 9in FAQ) and on the net - go with what you comfortable with - and don't forget that the vets make a tidy profit from selling their food. I don't and wouldn't feed dry - I feed raw and natural as I don't believe over-processed, re-formed dried food that expands in their tummy is good for my dogs.

anne payne said:
:cheers: About one month ago I posted a request for advice on having two 8 week old Whippet pups together.17 of you kindly replied with advice, support and the occasional dire warning!

Many of you asked for photos so here are a few.

Anyway it has been so far so good with the pups. They play fight quite a bit then crash out for an hour or two before resuming the fun and games. They do seem to really love each other and importantly us as well, always looking for attention and loving. No bonding issues yet!

Too young for much training, they were clean from day one and simply go in and out of the new dog flap. We do try to separate them some times for individual attention and this is well received.

When old enough to go out we intend to take them together and individually.

Our vet says the diet sheet given us by the breeder should not be followed. It advises giving goats milk and rusks, chicken, rice and veg, fish etc. The new vet says just to give them dry science food.

Any thoughts?

Best wishes

Anne Payne

Thanks for the update. Sounds good so far. :thumbsup: The play fighting will continue for the next year or two :sweating: :teehee:

It's never too early to start with training, even if it's just a few minutes a day. :) I'm always a bit wary of free access to the garden for toilet training, but if it's working then that's fine I guess.

Go with the breeder's diet sheet initially. It sounds like they are into a much more natural diet. Sounds good to me. :thumbsup: If you find you want to swap over to something a bit easier eventually, do it really gradually, otherwise you'll get upset stomachs. Dry foods are really easy...but they are too convenient to my mind...and the amount of water dogs have to drink afterwards is disturbing (just my personal opinion). Most vets advocate Hill's Science. Waiting rooms usually have them on display. I think they make quite a bit of money from them one way or another. :- "

Look forward to seeing the photos. :)

Lucky you having two whippet babies! It sounds like they are doing really well. I can't wait to see photos.

I agree with the others. I'm sure he or she was a supplier of Hills Science! I really hate it when people try and sell you expensive products and expect you not to question it!! :rant:

We feed our whippets a natural diet. When we brought them home, one had been on bones and raw food and the other had been on a processed puppy brand of food. Both were healthy and full of energy but I decided to keep going with the natural diet for both of them. The processed kibble puppy made up our minds for us as she quickly favoured her new friend's bowl over hers! :lol:

The main reasons for going natural were that I read an article on how dry dog foods are made which completely put me off (I think there may be a link in the FAQ section), and there are also other benefits eg. chewing bones relieves boredom and cleans their teeth (dogs shouldn't need yearly dentals at the vet!!) and there is also less mess (and what there is is less offensive) to clean up after them. The more you read about natural feeding and once you're used to doing it, the angrier you get at the pet food companies for eroding people's confidence that they can keep their dogs healthy without resort to expensive processed products.

I'm sure there are good and bad complete diets but it's important to feel confident that you can keep your dogs healthy with either route and the choice is yours! :thumbsup:

Sorry for ranting :b :- "

Follow the breeders diet sheet that is what your pups are used to. When I got Diesel 3 months ago the vet told me not to follow the breeders diet sheet, that it was old fashioned and that the current train of thought was just dried dog food mixed with nothing else but boiling water four times a day.

Having used the so called, old fashioned diet before I stuck with it. He is completely healthy, growing properly and loves his food. I don't think I woul dbe sat here saying the same if I had followed her advice.

If the breeders diet works for you, you are happy with it and the pups are thriving stick with it. :thumbsup:

I neeeeed pictures.............. :lol: :wub:

I had the same problem as whippetsrus and the vet advised tinned food etc after Ozzy was ill with the runs all the time aged 6 months. His breeder advised what she would be feeding him on and I must admit I was a bit worried about going against the vet but thought the breeder would know best about feeding whippets seeing as all medical tests came back clear. I now feed Ozzy on a natural diet too and when I took him to the vets to get weighed they couldnt believe the change in him :thumbsup: I also bought myself a book called give your dog a bone by Dr ian Billinghurst which I found really interesting and helpful. :luck: Good luck :luck:

FeeFee said:
I neeeeed pictures..............  :lol:   :wub:
P1000776.jpg

What beautiful babies :wub: :huggles: - you must be so proud! :cheers:

And exhausted! :- " :p

How cute are they :wub: :wub: I wish you well with them :luck:

Can i ask their breeding please?

Please please please ignore the stupid vet re diet :angry: ,he obviously hasn't got a clue about proper healthy feeding,& no doubt he sells the Hills crap too :rant:

Totally gorgeous :wub: :wub:

I still think you're brave, but I'll bet they are loads of fun (w00t) :lol:

What a lovely pair they are :wub:

I have litter brother and sister with me at the moment - not a permanent arrangement and my god am I glad about that!! :oops: Even at 15 months they are an absolute nightmare together - playing wildly, chasing, play fighting constantly, with the occasional break for a cuddle thrown in :huggles:

I wish you the best of luck with your 2 boys :luck: I'm sure that despite all the mayhem they will bring you so much pleasure.

As for the diet sheet - as everyone has said previously your vet is talking rubbish. Of course he will encourage you to feed the dried rubbish that is sold in his surgery. Stick with the sensible, balanced, natural diet that your pups breeder recommended. I think a natural diet is the best possible option

alfyn said:
How cute are they :wub:   :wub: I wish you well with them :luck: Can i ask their breeding please?

Please please please ignore the stupid vet re diet  :angry: ,he obviously hasn't got a clue about proper healthy feeding,& no doubt he sells the Hills crap too :rant:

Thank you so much. Mrs Elizabeth Watts from Horham in Suffolk bred them.

The father is Ch Oakbark Millennium Gold and the mother is Villareena Daisy.

Some K9 members thought that they may bond with each other rather than us but although they are inseparable they crave love and attention from us like all whippets! :huggles: :huggles: :huggles:

Anne

whippetgood said:
anne payne said:
FeeFee said:
I neeeeed pictures..............  :lol:    :wub:
View attachment 54062

Hi Anne,

its me Rachel :)) my goodness that picture of the lads is so gorgeous :huggles: :huggles: glad to see you on k9, its a great site :thumbsup:

Rachel & Finbarr :)) :)) :))

Hi Rachel

Who needs e-mail when you've got K9?

Love from Anne, see you in the park or pop in any time.

will send pics in coats soon!

Anne :)) :)) :))

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back