The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Looking For Blue Stud Dog

kirs

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi there,

I am looking to line my little blue bitch with a small blue dog. She is pedigree so I would like the sire to be aswell. Her breeding is Elaphine Alexander Blue / Midnight Princess.

If anybody knows of any studs please pm me.

Many thanks.

Have you thought of going back to her breeder for advice? She/he might know

Last edited by a moderator:
alfyn said:
Have you thought of going back to her breeder for advice? She/he might know
Good advice!

I don't know whether you got her from Sally Fuller-Lewis. She owns the stud dog.

She would be able to advise you too :thumbsup:

I would not necessarily breed her to a blue dog, you will be very limited in your choice. Go to the breeder but look for the best dog of any colour. If tou use blue you will have a good chance to get all blue pups (unless the parents carry fawn or brindle). Using good fawn or brindle (blue mask or brindling) will also give you at least some blue, but better Whippets. :luck:

Seraphina said:
I would not necessarily breed her to a blue dog, you will be very limited in your choice.  Go to the breeder but look for the best dog of any colour.  If tou use blue you will have a good chance to get all blue pups (unless the parents carry fawn or brindle).  Using good fawn or brindle (blue mask or brindling) will also give you at least some blue, but better Whippets. :luck:
ive got blue boy. he's only 14months old. As a novice in this area, and purely a pet owner and not a breeder or racer, ive no idea how old he should be to begin breeding. Any tips would be nice.

Just because you have a boy it dosnt mean he should be used at Stud :- " I know I havnt seen him or know his breeding but we really should only be breeding from the best of our breed , not just because hes a certain colour .

Im planning on breeding with one of my bitches in the near future and I can tell you , colour is the last thing Im bothered about , Ive short listed my choices , but even they could change .

I hope you dont mind my comments .

I too dont think you should put blue to blue :wacko:

JAX said:
Just because you have a boy it dosnt mean he should be used at Stud  :- "  I know I havnt seen him or know his breeding but we really should only be breeding from the best of our breed , not just because hes a certain colour .
Im planning on breeding with one of my bitches in the near future and I can tell you , colour is the last thing Im bothered about , Ive short listed my choices , but even they could change .

I too dont think you should put blue to blue  :wacko:

you have a short list so obviousley you are trying to improve, why should colour be any less important? and im not sugesting blue to blue but if a breeder wants blues,fawns,blacks etc because that is their preference why not seek the best stud for that job as im sure you are

masta said:
JAX said:
Just because you have a boy it dosnt mean he should be used at Stud  :- "  I know I havnt seen him or know his breeding but we really should only be breeding from the best of our breed , not just because hes a certain colour .

you have a short list so obviousley you are trying to improve, why should colour be any less important? and im not sugesting blue to blue but if a breeder wants blues,fawns,blacks etc because that is their preference why not seek the best stud for that job as im sure you are

Because colour in Whippets suppose to be immaterial , and when breeder has a colour as the first criterion for choosing a sire it is very likely going to compromise quality of the litter. Why try to get quantity if blues rather than quality few?

JAX said:

I dont mind your comments at all JAX, im after information, and any information is welcome, especially as im not a breeder or experienced dog person. He's just a pet, and if he wasnt suited to breeding i wouldnt breed him. I just thought it was his right to reproduce, or at least have a bash at it, if youl pardon the poor expression. Im open to comments and opinions though, whatever they may be. Anyone else got any cooments on this?

Should i let him breed regardless of his breeding, or would i merely be bringing a litter of whippets into the world that may not be wanted or appreciated, as thats probably a good reason not to do it i think.

Seraphina said:
masta said:
JAX said:

Because colour in Whippets suppose to be immaterial , and when breeder has a colour as the first criterion for choosing a sire it is very likely going to compromise quality of the litter. Why try to get quantity if blues rather than quality few?

but what if colour is important lets say as important as trying to breed some other specific quality in, why should one be considered trivial and why say it is very likely to compromise quality of the litter if someone is interested in breeding colour what makes you think they would compromise quality

from your post it seems you think that anyone breeding for colour are somehow less concerned re quality confirmation etc

I think that you have missed the point. The advice from Jax and Seraphina, both of who have a great deal of experience is that if you follow the advice given, you may not get as many blues in the litter, but the ones that you do get should be much better quality. If you want to see a nice quality blue, have a look at Seraphina's website.

jools said:
I think that you have missed the point. The advice from Jax and Seraphina, both of who have a great deal of experience is that if you follow the advice given, you may not get as many blues in the litter, but the ones that you do get should be much better quality. If you want to see a nice quality blue, have a look at Seraphina's website.

i havent missed the point and i am also fully aware of their experience etc i also never mentioned wanting advice or that i wanted to breed or see a quality blue, but thanks anyway

:thumbsup:

markE said:
JAX said:

I dont mind your comments at all JAX, im after information, and any information is welcome, especially as im not a breeder or experienced dog person. He's just a pet, and if he wasnt suited to breeding i wouldnt breed him. I just thought it was his right to reproduce, or at least have a bash at it, if youl pardon the poor expression. Im open to comments and opinions though, whatever they may be. Anyone else got any cooments on this?

Should i let him breed regardless of his breeding, or would i merely be bringing a litter of whippets into the world that may not be wanted or appreciated, as thats probably a good reason not to do it i think.

Unless he is a really good specimen of the breed either for showing or racing ( as I dont know how hes breed) Youve hit the nail on the head Mark . ;)

What hes never had , he cant miss either , Some , not all dogs are better not given the odd chance at reproducing :- " :huggles: :cheers:

What breeding is he Mark and any pics :cheers:

masta said:
but what if colour is important lets say as important as trying to breed some other specific quality in, why should one be considered trivial and why say it is very likely to compromise quality of the litter if someone is interested in breeding colour what makes you think they would compromise quality
from your post it seems you think that anyone breeding for colour are somehow less concerned re quality confirmation etc

Colour is just an icing on the cake, is not as important as conformation or health. And because blue is rare it is lot easier to find brindle or fawn dog, which will have the qualities to compliment any particular bitch. Also as there is not many blues, any 2 blues are very likely to be related and therefore have the same or similar faults. I am not saying: whatever you do do not use another blue. I am saying: look around at all dogs available to you, and get an advice from an experienced breeder as to which dog is most suitable for your bitch.

Seraphina said:
Also as there is not many blues, any 2 blues are very likely to be related and therefore have the same or similar faults.  I am not saying: whatever you do do not use another blue.  I am saying: look around at all dogs available to you, and get an advice from an experienced breeder as to which dog is most suitable for your bitch.
Those would be my thoughts too; most coloured lines are still fairly closely related so could probably do with a bit of fresh blood for health reasons.

Also re. Twiggy specifically, with her breeding there is a fairly chance she will produce all coloured offspring even with a non-coloured dog, so a blue brindle or blue-masked fawn would give you far greater choice and potentially still produce an all-blue litter, if that is really what you want.

Some of the issues referred to here have been covered in this thread too:

Poor blues and blacks...

I dont think you can say what is important, the person who buys the puppies will decide what is important be that colour / sex , ability to work / show. Clearly you should not breed with dogs that carry genetic problems but I dont think you need to breed with dogs that have only won awards / races or to get the perfect conformation. As long as you can find good homes for your puppies you should not have a problem.

Max&Smokey said:
I dont think you can say what is important, the person who buys the puppies will decide what is important be that colour / sex , ability to work / show. Clearly you should not breed with dogs that carry genetic problems but I dont think you need to breed with dogs that have only won awards / races or to get the perfect conformation. As long as you can find good homes for your puppies you should not have a problem.
Well, it depends on why are you breeding. If you are breeding pupies for pet market, just to make profit, then you will obviously aim for whatever you think will make you most money. However if you are breeding with the aim to produce good Whippets, sound in body as well as mind, then such thing as colour is one of the last considerations. Especially, as breeding from blue bitch there is a good chance that half the litter will be blue (or black) regardless of what colour dog you use. On the other hand if you mate two blues who both have fawn or brindle ancestors you still have the possibility of fawns or brindles.

I love the blacks and blues and I would love to see more good quality ones to be bred, everywhere. Pity to waste the opportunity to produce some good blues/blacks.

Max&Smokey said:
What an irresponsible thing to put . :rant:

IMO only the best should be bred from , whether for racing or show , surely we have a duty not only to the breed but also to the `pet `people buying a pup , I know some do breed to make money (w00t) :angry: , but for goodness sake lets at least breed with quality whippets , not just any old dog irrespective of colour :rant:

Jax,

Your response is a little imature. IMO Its the breeding of only the best against the best that allows the huge number of gentic defects now seen in many of the pedigree breeds to continue.

IMO If your interest was in breeding heathy whippets it is far better that you look at using DNA screening to identify dogs that dont carry genetic defects than this dog won a show so it must be good.

The kennel club has lots of information on responsible breeding and the web even more.

Regards

Chris

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back