The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Looking For Blue Stud Dog

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Max&Smokey said:
Jax,
Your response is a little imature. IMO Its the breeding of only the best against the best that allows the huge number of gentic defects now seen in many of the pedigree breeds to continue.

IMO If your interest was in breeding heathy whippets it is far better that you look at using DNA screening to identify dogs that dont carry genetic defects than this dog won a show so it must be good.

The kennel club has lots of information on responsible breeding and the web even more.

Regards

Chris

Nope, like Jax, I think one should not breed just because you have a dog, or you have a bitch. Breeding should be to 'improve' the quality of the line/breed. But I also agree, that these days, it should be mandatory for dna screening on all breeding stock in order to maintain good healthy lines. I wonder why the Whippet Club doesn't promote this?

How do you

'improve' the quality of the line/breed
when you reduce the gene pool by continuing to breed from only champions?
My point is not that if you have a dog you should breed from it, indeed my posts dont say that. My points are twofold, you cant decide for somebody else what is important and whilst you may be able to achieve success quickly by interbreeding champions with champions it does not improve the quality of the line/breed in the long term.

The most important thing about breeding is that you can find good homes for the puppies, if the puppie is healthy happy and loved what really does it matter if it will not win any shows.

Regards

Max&Smokey said:
How do you
  'improve' the quality of the line/breed
when you reduce the gene pool by continuing to breed from only champions?

Nobody here suggested that Kirs should be only looking for a champion. What I did say that the blues and blacks seem to be all going back to the same lines, therefore are quite inbred, so it would be a good idea to consider a dog of other colour, different background. If you look at this thread blues you will find that experienced people say there are many problems in these coloured lines.

What I, with lifelong experience in breeding dogs, as well as other very knowledgeble people suggested is the best chance to get a nice litter of healthy pups.

Seraphina said:
What I did say that the blues and blacks seem to be all going back to the same lines, therefore are quite inbred, so it would be a good idea to consider a dog of other colour, different background.  If you look at this thread  blues you will find that experienced people say there are many problems in these coloured lines. 
I wouldn't put it as strongly as that. There are plenty of dogs from coloured lines that have lived healthy, trouble-free lives into their late teens. Actually most coloured coursing lines are rather outbred, in the sense that close relatives are rarely put together and most have a very low inbreeding coefficient (often quite close to zero whereas, in many of the non-coloured successful showlines, the average seems to be closer to 20-40% and these illnesses are not unknown in these lines either). However, if you go a few generations further back they all seem to share the same ancestors and there is anecdotal evidence of autoimmune diease/early cancers in some lines which may result from this narrowing of the genepool a couple of decades back, so I would agree, care needs to be exercised when planning a mating.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to look at the WHOLE picture not just one aspect,

I wouldn't breed from a dog just because it was a certain colour,

I wouldn't use a stud dog just because he was a champion,

and I certainly wouldn't breed a litter just because i can easily find homes for them.

before you breed you should have an 'ideal' in mind, look at what you have, don't be blind to his/her shortcomings, look for pairings to compliment and always strive to improve. certain colours may be on your wish list but never breed with tunnel vision.

a bit of research and thought and you stand a chance of producing pretty close to what you want.

before you breed you should have an 'ideal' in mind, look at what you have, don't be blind to his/her shortcomings, look for pairings to compliment and always strive to improve.
Very well put!

and I certainly wouldn't breed a litter just because i can easily find homes for them
Surely you should not breed unless you know you can find good homes for them?

Seraphina, I agree with your comments and your knowledge of breeding comes across in your replies and were very helpful.

Regards

Chris

Max&Smokey said:
and I certainly wouldn't breed a litter just because i can easily find homes for them
Surely you should not breed unless you know you can find good homes for them?

sorry,i should have put emphasis on the JUST bit :thumbsup:

>people say there are many problems in these coloured lines.

I think that you'll find that the people talking about the problems aren't peddie racers. We have a large proportion of black dogs racing. It's not unusual to see a race solely consisting of black dogs. Black and black and white dogs are very popular with racing folks.

Because the racers will breed black to black we get some truly beautiful blacks. By which I mean a good strong colour.

BeeJay said:
>people say there are many problems in these coloured lines.
I think that you'll find that the people talking about the problems aren't peddie racers.  We have a large proportion of black dogs racing.  It's not unusual to see a race solely consisting of black dogs.  Black and black and white dogs are very popular with racing folks. 

Because the racers will breed black to black we get some truly beautiful blacks.  By which I mean a good strong colour.

Of-course, I am just going on what I heard on k9. All what I am trying to point out that sellection of stud dog should not be done prinarily on colour or any other single trait.

DNA screening is not the magic bullet some people imagine. It is very helpful for breeds with a widespread and very serious problem caused by single faulty gene. But in breed that does not have such a problem, you can spend a fortune to test for 20 genetic disorders only to find down the track your dog has one you did not test. Genetic problems are inherited, but they can also occur due to exposure to chemicals and/or radiation. So you can have your dog screened, then he is exposed to some chemical and his sperm will pass on the damaged gene. AT LEAST THAT IS THE WAY I UNDERSTAND IT. In any case if we screen and then eliminate all dogs with potential problem there will be nothing left, or if we eliminate the dogs with problems we tested for we may find ourselves left with dogs with potentially deadly problem we can not test for.

Seraphina said:
DNA screening is not the magic bullet some people imagine.  It is very helpful for breeds with a widespread and very serious problem caused by single faulty gene. 
Fully agree; none of the tests that exist are appropriate to the diseases that may give most cause for concern in whippets anyway; they are mainly polygenetic and it is far from clear where in the genome to even start looking for them in the case of autoimmune disease, in either humans or canines. In minority breeds, with a very small genepool, excluding a large number of individuals from the genepool following such testing might actually exaccerbate the number of health problems that exist in the breed. These are very complex issues.

Someone posted on another forum that the eagerly awaited health survey for whippets is now available:

KC Health survey

The link just takes you to a list, what do you do from there????

Max&Smokey said:
Jax,
Your response is a little imature. IMO Its the breeding of only the best against the best that allows the huge number of gentic defects now seen in many of the pedigree breeds to continue.

IMO If your interest was in breeding heathy whippets it is far better that you look at using DNA screening to identify dogs that dont carry genetic defects than this dog won a show so it must be good.

The kennel club has lots of information on responsible breeding and the web even more.

Regards

Chris

With all due respect Chris , I think the gene pool of whippets is large enough for me to chose what ever dog I want, without risk of carrying a genetic defect . :luck: I dont just use top winners , but those that I think will `compliment` my bitches .

I also dont think that having a litter to satisfy the `pet market ` is a good enough reason to breed with any dog or bitch that I might have .

As for being immature (w00t) Do you know how OLD I am :eek: :cheers:

DNA tests currently available in the UK

14-Jun-06

Below is a list of disease-specific DNA tests that can currently be accessed directly from the UK (contact details for organisations are listed at the bottom of this page):

Condition Breed Organisation

Ceroid Lipofuscinosis - Border Collies

CLAD - Irish Setters

Congenital stationary night blindness - Briards

Copper toxicosis - Bedlington Terriers

Fucosidosis - English Springer Spaniels

Hereditary Cataract - Staffordshire Bull Terriers

L-2-hydroxy glutaric aciduria - Staffordshire Bull Terriers

Phosphofructokinase deficiency - English Springer Spaniels

Progressive retinal atrophy - Irish Sett

Progressive retinal atrophy - Sloughis

Progressive retinal atrophy - Miniature Long-haired Dachshund

Pyruvate kinase deficiency - West Highland White Terriers

von Willebrand's disease - Irish Red and White Setters

Yellow coat in Labrador Retrievers - Labrador Retrievers

Progressive retinal atrophy - Cardigan Welsh Corgi

von Willebrand's disease - Dobermann

I did not realised that a yellow coat in labradors is considered a problem?????

At least the response rate in whippets was high enough for this survey to be considered meaningful; it seems in some breeds the response was so poor (under 15%) the KC did not think the results worth publishing :(

"[in whippets] A total of 846 forms were sent out and 374 were returned, representing 1214 live dogs. This breed had a 44.2% response rate (374/846) and it represented 2.72% of all returns

(374/13,741)."

I think all the documents have to be read together to get a full picture of how significant the results are, but here is the first page which gives an indication of the sorts of problems reported and a suggestion of the rate of incidence in the population.

healthsurvy1.gif

Hi Mark,

Twiggy is your Fletch's Sister so I don't think its a very good idea!

How's he doing?

Kirsten

kirs said:
Hi Mark,
Twiggy is your Fletch's Sister so I don't think its a very good idea!

How's he doing?

Kirsten

Kirsten, i apologise, of course he is. Stupid of me to forget, but you know how it is with names etc.

He is doing fine thankyou. Full of beans still, running like the wind, and wanting to play with every dog he sees. Hows Twiggy?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back