The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Lungworm Advantage Treatment

eve

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My vets have advised that Lungworm has moved up from the South and has now reached Scotland. They are strongly recommending regular treatment with Advocate.

This can be bought online with a vets prescription and treats most worms, fleas, ticks etc except tapeworm.

The vets recommend treating monthly all year.

One question I have is that if lung worm is transmitted by snails and slugs, is treatment required in the winter months in areas of frost?

If your whippet likes to 'dine out' it is probably a wise precaution. My whippets are 'grazers' so I am seeking advice

Regards

eve

Yep, my vets told me the same thing and dogs can also pick up lungworm from just licking the silvery snail trail and also from frogs. I have used Advocate recently but was told to use it in conjunction with Spot On as it doesn't protect against ticks. Tilly picks up loads of ticks because she has permanently got her head stuck down either a rabbit, fox or badger hole/den/set. Pip has never had one to my knowledge. Am seeing vet in the next week so will ask about the winter question.

Yep, my vets told me the same thing and dogs can also pick up lungworm from just licking the silvery snail trail and also from frogs. I have used Advocate recently but was told to use it in conjunction with Spot On as it doesn't protect against ticks. Tilly picks up loads of ticks because she has permanently got her head stuck down either a rabbit, fox or badger hole/den/set. Pip has never had one to my knowledge. Am seeing vet in the next week so will ask about the winter question.
My line of thinking is that slugs and snails are not about when it is frosty. As the treatment is quite expensive, I have reservations about using it for 12 months of the year. I also think that there may be benefits of 'resting' the dogs bodies from the chemicals in case a tolerance builds up. Obviously, we get more frosts and colder temperatures up here in Scotland. I was wondering if the Lungworm is a nematode. The nematodes I use in the garden cannot survive below 5 degrees.

One of mine was suspected to have this last year he was treated with panacur granules

One of mine was suspected to have this last year he was treated with panacur granules
I asked my vet about Panacur as it is available online without prescription. I was told that it does not treat this variety of lungworm Angiostrongylus vasorum.

I wonder which vet is right? Perhaps your dog had a different strain. Perhaps my vet is trying to get me to purchase Advantage as his preferred option. I asked another reputiable local vet for their advice and was told Milbamax. This is given as a tablet every 3 months and treats all worms including tapeworm (Advantage does not treat for tape worm) . Milbamax does not treat but not fleas and mites. Confusing amount of information out there and all from the experts! :unsure:

Hi All Back from more checking around with more vets.

Advocate (spot on) treats all worms except tape worm. Tape worm is VERY rare in dogs and easy to see if your dog gets them.

The adavantage of Advocate is that it also deals with fleas, ticks, mites and this dreaded Heart / Lung worm.

Millabax (tablets) only treats for worms inc Heart / Lung worm

In areas that get hard frosts, it is reasonably safe to stop treatment for a couple of months once the slugs and snails have gone for the winter.

Living in Scotland, this is not a problem as it certainly gets cold enough. I would prefer to give my dogs a break from year round medication.

The treatment can be bought online with a vet prescription on lots of websites. These two links are well priced.

The other option if you have several dogs, is to negotiate a discount with your vet for regular treatments.

I am happier to buy the product from my vet in the knowledge that it is the genuine product and that I am supporting my vet. :)

http://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/products.asp?sc=&start=3

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page...roducts_id=1625

Maybe the drug companies have changed the formulations for these wormers. As I said this was last year and I had been using milbamax to worm my dogs (drontal made them vomit). The vet prescribed the panacur granules 1/5 of a sachet every day for a month, as at that time he said milbamax/drontal didnt cover it.

I think I'll best check the next time I buy wormers, thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

one of my dogs is being treated for lungworm at the moment, he is being treated with panacur 10%, i have treated my other 6 dogs with advocat,

its not a nice thing for your dog to have, rupert is going back to vets tomorrow for more xrays as he had a slow bleed into his lungs :(

he had been knocked over by one of the other whippets a few days before, the vets wasnt sure if that had caused the bleed or lungworm so he was treated for both.

Living in Scotland, this is not a problem as it certainly gets cold enough. I would prefer to give my dogs a break from year round medication.

The treatment can be bought online with a vet prescription on lots of websites. These two links are well priced.

The other option if you have several dogs, is to negotiate a discount with your vet for regular treatments.

I live in Edinburgh and one of mine caught 'suspected' lung worm last year. I was told by my vet that they can catch it from eating fox poo as well. :(

Hi All Back from more checking around with more vets.Advocate (spot on) treats all worms except tape worm. Tape worm is VERY rare in dogs and easy to see if your dog gets them.

The adavantage of Advocate is that it also deals with fleas, ticks, mites and this dreaded Heart / Lung worm.

Millabax (tablets) only treats for worms inc Heart / Lung worm

In areas that get hard frosts, it is reasonably safe to stop treatment for a couple of months once the slugs and snails have gone for the winter.

I am happier to buy the product from my vet in the knowledge that it is the genuine product and that I am supporting my vet. :)

http://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/products.asp?sc=&start=3

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page...roducts_id=1625

I mean to get the dog's treatment on line but then I chicken out for the same reason - can we be sure the tablets/powders are the genuine thing and supporting my vet. I have just double checked my Advocate packet and it doesn't mention giving protection against ticks. Also, just to let everyone know, where I live (Wirral, Cheshire), there have been a number of dog fatalities recently from lungworm and I am sure my vets surgery said there is a very poorly dog in Leahurst Vet. Hospital being treated for it. Horrible condition.

Advocate is part of a big promotion currently going on by the drug company and most vets are trying to shove it down our throats at the moment.

There's posters up every where and loads of"incidences of lungworm" etc but funny how it's suddenly rife all over the country!! good advertising by the drug companies to scare people into using their product....who me ! cynical never.

I've always just used Frontline or Stronghold every third month on all my dogs and that's all.

We tried Promeris but like many people had bad reactions from the dogs....have heard that one or two people have had bad reactions from Advocate as well at the surgery where I work and the nurses advised me not to get it for my dogs..I guess you all have to make your own choices but I'm not gonna chance it...just gotta keep collecting the snails and chucking them over next doors fence....must be quite a big pile now lol xx

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Advocate for my dogs and have not noticed any ill effects. I actually chose this because it protects against Sarcoptic mange, (it seems rife here at the moment) and nothing to do with lungworm.

I buy online from Petmeds with a vet prescription :)

i live in south devon and couple of weeks ago i met a couple with a young dog i actually heard the dog before i saw it, it was wheezing like it had asthma when i asked about it they said it had had lungworm but the vet didnt know what it had til too late, this dog will never get any better and has scarred lungs for life, my dogs have now been treated with advocate it will add up to alot of money but it does cover fleas so i save on frontline and mange and other worms.

The reason lungworm has hit the headlines is due to surveys it has been reveald to have been spreading, graphs are available to confirm where confirmed and suspected cases have been found - it is not the drug company cashing i, my nans dog died from it last year, as well as breathing prolems it can cause clotting problems so dogs canbleed out from minor injuries or surgeries.

I work in practice and have only heard of 1 dog who became slightly itchy after treatment but was fine when used again, it is very safe compared to promeris where there are loads of side effects. Advocate does not treat ticks or tapeworm as previously stated.

Please note milbemax are currently using backlash marketing to sell milbemax for lungworm but it is only licensed for a reduction in numbers of the parasite and to treat lungworm must be given weekly for 5 consecutive weeks - their bad marketing has many people including vets thinking it treats it in a single dose.

Panacur 5 day course is still vets treatment of choice for confirmed cases of lungworm. Advocate is more of a preventative treatment.

Hope that helps to clarify.

The reason lungworm has hit the headlines is due to surveys it has been reveald to have been spreading, graphs are available to confirm where confirmed and suspected cases have been found - it is not the drug company cashing i, my nans dog died from it last year, as well as breathing prolems it can cause clotting problems so dogs canbleed out from minor injuries or surgeries.I work in practice and have only heard of 1 dog who became slightly itchy after treatment but was fine when used again, it is very safe compared to promeris where there are loads of side effects. Advocate does not treat ticks or tapeworm as previously stated.

Please note milbemax are currently using backlash marketing to sell milbemax for lungworm but it is only licensed for a reduction in numbers of the parasite and to treat lungworm must be given weekly for 5 consecutive weeks - their bad marketing has many people including vets thinking it treats it in a single dose.

Panacur 5 day course is still vets treatment of choice for confirmed cases of lungworm. Advocate is more of a preventative treatment.

Hope that helps to clarify.

Great advice, clears up a lot of questions. Thanks

Eve

I did know about Lungworm from my vet and used advocate on my two dogs but what a great forum for sharing news and advice. I know I'm new here but best thing I've signed up to for a long time, not to mention lots of lovely pics and hilarious whippet anecdotes! :thumbsup:

I am now treating the dogs monthly for 9 months a year. March - October inclusive. I found ADVOCATE at 4.33 GBP on the internet. I discussed this with my Vet. Having 4 dogs, he agreed to supply it for the same price if I bought and paid for the 9 months all at once. Cost' half price but supporting my local vet at the same time. Fantastic!

I would recommend that if you have several whippies and you want to use Advocate that you negotiate with your vet. 8)

Regards Eve

I am now treating the dogs monthly for 9 months a year. March - October inclusive. I found ADVOCATE at 4.33 GBP on the internet. I discussed this with my Vet. Having 4 dogs, he agreed to supply it for the same price if I bought and paid for the 9 months all at once. Cost' half price but supporting my local vet at the same time. Fantastic!I would recommend that if you have several whippies and you want to use Advocate that you negotiate with your vet. 8)

Regards Eve
Hi, where did you find Advocate at such a good price???? Thought I got a good deal, I buy online at £17 per 3 pack, and my vet charges £24.

He supplies me with free prescriptions, dont think he will negotiate with me, but I will ask next time :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back