Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Lurcher Beaten To Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeJay

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
From the BBC:

BBC Bristol

Appeal after dog beaten to death

A dog has been found beaten to death on a travellers' site in Almondsbury in South Gloucestershire.

Members of the public reported seeing a group of men attacking the animal just off Over Lane on Bank Holiday Monday.

Officers found a badly beaten golden lurcher buried in a fresh grave.

Police believe motorists travelling from Almondsbury to Easter Compton may have seen the attack which happened about 10 metres from the road.

Witnesses to the incident, which occurred at about 1400 GMT on Monday, are urged to come forward.

--

No words adequate to express my disgust...

My first experience of dog murder came early on. My 'first dog' was a springer spaniel my father kept in work when I was very young. He was a railwayman and the dog had his own little kennel next to my father's chargeman's hut, and used to follow him around doing whatever it was Chargemen did. I used to go to work with him every weekend, and would plead every week to let me take the dog home with us.

What i didn't know was the dog had run away from the neighbouring farm, and the farmer used to come regularly to demand it was given back. Needless to say the terrified spaniel was usually miles away as soon as he spotted his former torturer. One weekend the dog wasn't there. I eventually overheard my father telling someone the farmer had just turned up one day and blasted it with a shot gun. I was right, we should have taken him home :(

Elizabeth

Last edited by a moderator:
That is so awful y y y do these things happen. :rant: :rant: When we have travellers in the area you can bet your boots that after they have left they leave behind a couple of lurchers or whippets, but at least those have a chance of being rehomed. Let's hope that poor lurcher is at peace now and running free in doggie heaven.

My friend Derick, had a traveller walking along the side of his house, he was asked "What do you want ??"

He replied, "I,m after a glass of water, sir"

Derick told him to F *** Off, and for the rest of the week let Otty, his deerhound and Missy his rough coated lurcher, sleep in the house.

I know they get a bad press, and I can,t see all of them being evil dog killing bastards, but I just don,t trust them.

avon said:
  When we have travellers in the area you can bet your boots that after they have left they leave behind a couple of lurchers or whippets, but at least those have a chance of being rehomed.  Let's hope that poor lurcher is at peace now and running free in doggie heaven.
Avon - no decent "traveller" would leave a good dog behind; most times they pay quite some money for their animals, take them to the vet when they need treatment and it often costs those people a fortune to keep their hounds at good health. 'Bad' dogs, on the other hand - snappers, biters, howlers or plain idiots -

may sometimes be left behind 'cause they will always find someone who takes pity on them and gives them a pampered home. But you must understand that travellers regard their dogs not as pets, but as working animals (so do farmers;

and if my working dog runs away to stay with someone else I'd shoot it just as quickly, by the way...) and hence every dog that is not worth his food...well, merciless, but just a different way of looking at it. And the one that got beaten to death has certainly done something so terrible that it "deserved" this kind of horrific punishment - maybe bitten a child or turned against his master.

I'm not condoning this kind of treatment, but try to see all possible facettes of the story; knowing a lot of travellers and their way with dogs myself. And most times it's not the travellers who treat their animals badly, but our so-called decent, law-abiding house-dwellers. :wacko:

Innis77 said:
and if my working dog runs away to stay with someone else I'd shoot it just as quickly, by the way...
If you beat up your working dog as badly as the farmer in question did, so that it was terrified of you and ran away, you too would be reported, prosecuted and banned from keeping animals, as this farmer was eventually by the way...

Elizabeth

Innis77 said:
And the one that got beaten to death has certainly done something so terrible that it "deserved" this kind of horrific punishment - maybe bitten a child or turned against his master.
If it had to be destroyed, then surely there was no need to beat it to death. I can find absolutely NO excuse for this at all. People who behave like this should not be allowed to have any animal in their care. :rant: :rant:

But you must understand that travellers regard their dogs not as pets, but as working animals (so do farmers;

and if my working dog runs away to stay with someone else I'd shoot it just as quickly, by the way...) and hence every dog that is not worth his food...well, merciless, but just a different way of looking at it. And the one that got beaten to death has certainly done something so terrible that it "deserved" this kind of horrific punishment - maybe bitten a child or turned against his master

i dont understand this type of mentality.it reminds me of a man whose bullying becomes too much for his wife eventually and she leaves him,and takes the children with her.so he goes after her and kills her and his children.if i cant have them noone else will :rant:

no animal deserves to be beaten to death

Innis77 said:
avon said:
  When we have travellers in the area you can bet your boots that after they have left they leave behind a couple of lurchers or whippets, but at least those have a chance of being rehomed.  Let's hope that poor lurcher is at peace now and running free in doggie heaven.
Avon - no decent "traveller" would leave a good dog behind; most times they pay quite some money for their animals, take them to the vet when they need treatment and it often costs those people a fortune to keep their hounds at good health. 'Bad' dogs, on the other hand - snappers, biters, howlers or plain idiots -

may sometimes be left behind 'cause they will always find someone who takes pity on them and gives them a pampered home. But you must understand that travellers regard their dogs not as pets, but as working animals (so do farmers;

and if my working dog runs away to stay with someone else I'd shoot it just as quickly, by the way...) and hence every dog that is not worth his food...well, merciless, but just a different way of looking at it. And the one that got beaten to death has certainly done something so terrible that it "deserved" this kind of horrific punishment - maybe bitten a child or turned against his master.

I'm not condoning this kind of treatment, but try to see all possible facettes of the story; knowing a lot of travellers and their way with dogs myself. And most times it's not the travellers who treat their animals badly, but our so-called decent, law-abiding house-dwellers. :wacko:

Are you a traveller Innis77? because you have a very different experience of them than I do, some may pay for there dogs but there are as many that don't read some of the missing running dog threads, as for deserving to be beaten to death :angry: if a dog does something which leaves no alterative than to destroy it then there are humane ways of dealing with that, farmers are in no way similar to travellers in my oppinion they work hard for a living and pay in to the system for the priviligde, travellers move from place to place leaving mess and discontent behind them and are probably having a good nights sleep in the caravan that me and mine worked hard for till they decided they would like it, like many others of people that I know that have gone missing :rant: :rant:

The appeal for witnesses is pointless because the police won't do anything about it anyway because they are too scared to, enough said :angry:

Innis77 said:
- maybe ...  turned against his master.
Gosh, I wonder why it would have done that? My experience is dogs, esp. sighthounds, are naturally submissive to their masters, so have probably taken one hell of a lot of ill-treatment before they turn or run away.

In my area of South Wales there is a similar widespread view that dogs are just livestock, mainly there to bring in income and culled when they're past it, and this culture probably accounts for most cases of cruelty; countless cases of filthy puppy farms churning out puppies from underage bitches, hanged working dogs and battered greyhounds. There is never any excuse for destroying an animal in this manner, the only one I can think of is to cover up evidence of theft or previous abuse.

[SIZE=21pt]And the one that got beaten to death has certainly done something so terrible that it "deserved" this kind of horrific punishment - maybe bitten a child or turned against his master[/SIZE]
No dog, choose what it has done deserves to be beaten to death!!!

dawn said:
[SIZE=21pt]And the one that got beaten to death has certainly done something so terrible that it "deserved" this kind of horrific punishment - maybe bitten a child or turned against his master[/SIZE]
No dog, choose what it has done deserves to be beaten to death!!!

Absolutly under no circumstances should a dog be beaten to death no matter what has happened!!!!

A dog isn't born bad.........if it is ill, mal-treated, or scarred it may turn bad. Even those dogs should be humanely PTS, not frightened, and beaten for God's sake, there are some sickos in the world. How can any-one condone that sort of behaviour.

Innis77 I have been training dogs for ten years and in my experience I have come up with three reasons that a dog would bite someone.

The victim has done something to provoke the dog

The owner has mistreated the dog or trained it to do so

The dog has a problem in the brain (this one from personal experience)

Suggesting that beating a dog to death is alright if the dog has turned on its master or bitten a child is utterly out of order. I have spent ten years training my dogs without having to touch them. I cannot believe that someone could say such a cruel thing about an animal. I have seen dogs who have run off from their masters because of cruelty. I am so disgusted about what happened to this lurcher and sorry but even more disgusted by your reply.

If one of my dogs ran away and chose to live with someone else I would be devastated. I would certainly not go round and blast it to deathand justify it with the thinking So....if the dogs does not live with me and take all I chose to give, it does not deserve to live? What planet are you from?

I'm pleased the farmer was prosecuted.

I'm sure that Inniss77 isn't condoning the fact that the poor dog was beaten to death, just trying to explain why it might have happened. I cant beleive any sane person would condone that. There is no excuse for not allowing any animal a quick and painless death. If they can beat to death a dog in public it makes me shudder to think what else may be going on.

However it was a valid point that people from all walks of life are capable of animal cruelty. Look at the Accountant who stole poor Leon :rant:

This is appalling, I agree with everything Dawn and Lesley have said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back