The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

M & S Insurance

Juley

Grand Mistress
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I got my renewals through today. They have increased the premium by about 70%. I asked why, when I haven't had a claim and was told that the underwriters said they have based it all on rising Vet fees. It would now cost over £1000 a year to insure my lot. I'm going to save the money in a separate account I think. Does anyone know of another company that does a basic cover at a resonable price. A £400 a year rise is ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Juley said:
I got my renewals through today. They have increased the premium by about 70%.

OMG 70% is crazy! Vets bills haven't gone up that much. :angry:

We are with PetShield Premium Dog policy costs £12.82 per month. Tel: 0870 2430091 They normally pay out within a month of a claim.

I have mine insured with Sainsburys - they are very resonable and on the one occassion I needed to claim they paid out direct to the vet with no quibbles. I trawled loads of differant companies when renewing and found sainsburys to be cheaper than most (including M&S).

Juley said:
I got my renewals through today. They have increased the premium by about 70%.  I asked why, when I haven't had a claim and was told that the underwriters said they have based it all on rising Vet fees. It would now cost over £1000 a year to insure my lot. I'm going to save the money in a separate account I think.  Does anyone know of another company that does a basic cover at a resonable price. A £400 a year rise is ridiculous.
depends how you look at risk if 1 or 2 of your dogs have a problem like one of mine resulting in a 3k+bill £400.00 might not seem so bad unfortunatley being claim free doesnt affect premium cost its all the claims by others that results in increased premiums i would have a look around your bound to find 1 cheaper just make sure its lifetime cover

Agree with the comment about lifetime cover - I found cheaper, but most didn't offer lifetime cover.

The best quote I got for lifetime cover was from Direct Line. I can't remember exactly, but it was about £23 for both dogs per month (I'm currently paying £34 with M&S, so will be changing when it comes up for renewal I think!).

Here's a bit about the Sainsburys insurance...

award-winning pet insurance

10% discount online - valid from 5th of January 2007 until the 26th of February 2007

If your pet was feeling under the weather, the last thing you'd want to worry about is an expensive bill from the vet. And with Sainsbury's Bank pet insurance you won't have to. That's because our cover offers you one of the highest level of vet's fees cover of any UK pet insurance. Apply today to get 10% off online.

Sainsbury's Bank pet insurance also offers these great benefits:-

up to £6,500 vet's fees cover for an accident or illness (one of the highest of any UK pet insurance)

no time limit on vet's fees claims - so you can still make a pet insurance claim after 12 months provided you pay your premiums

help with the cost to get back lost or stolen pets

there's no maximum age limit for vet's fees - our pet health insurance is suitable for older pets too

pets from rescue centres are welcome (unlike some cheap pet insurance cover)

award winner Your Money 'Best Online Pet Insurance Provider 2006'

And all this can be available with cover starting from only £4.15 a month for cats and £7 a month for dogs. Cheap pet insurance in terms of price - quality pet insurance in terms of cover!

I know when we were looking at insurance a couple of months back, M&S seemed rather expensive compared to the others. I know that they used to be excellent but a 70% increase is just ridiculous - especially if their justification of it is rising vets fees.

I think Asda seemed pretty reasonable :thumbsup:

Right I've had a look. Sainsburys wanted a lot, I have one over 8 years old. I've gone for the most basic cover from E and L. I have the caravan insured with them. Tbh, its not the "bits and bobs" I mind, its the worry of a big bill I want covered. I have got the 5 dogs insured for less than the 4 were with M and S last year. Its got an excess and its not such a good policy but its covering me for a large payout which is what I wanted. I do have a 14 day cooling off period so I may yet change my mind. :lol:

I have 6dogs insured with M&S.

Some of the policies came up for renewal in December and they've increased the premiums by about £5 for my older dogs. (5, and 9yrs)

The interesting thing they said when I phoned them was that the premium is higher for male dogs!!!

The first dog I insured was a male dog (9yrs) and I'm paying M&S £22 for him. Then I get a discount for the rest.. the next one is his sister and she's £18. The rest are still only £11.60 each.

Maybe it's because I'm in NE Scotland that the premiums are relatively low. With two dogs 10yrs this year I'm twitchy about the 'lifetime' cover and won't change insurers for them. I must admit I like the M&S policy.

Mine are with M & S. When i took them out they were only £10 each no excess!

Chloe's renewal is this month and it is £16. With the talk of how much prices are going up with M & S i was expecting it to be more. I'd had a claim of around £200 when her leg was bad last year.

Im going to shop around and see what i can find. Like you Juley, i had thought about putting the money aside but it's the worry of a huge bill!

Chloe use to be with E & L but they were really slow when i needed to claim and my vets told me that they were one of the worse for quibbling over payment, being slow etc.

Please don't insure with e&l !!! :rant: :rant:

Many vets won't deal with them as they don't pay out.

I won't insure my dogs or horses with them as my vet won't entertain e&l.

M & S wanted to charge more for Lily than Daisy, (w00t) ( Chelsea is "1st" on the policy so its not the 10% reduction thing). They were unhelpful too. E and L are £600 a year cheaper which I am going to put aside for smaller bills that aren't covered. I do like the M & S policy but I really object to that much increase. I live in rural Norfolk so the Vet fees are lower than the London areas. Mine were about £10 each last year and £12 for the dearest. This time the dearest has gone to almost £21 and the cheapest is £15. Thats loads more than inflation and I've claimed once for £42. I'll have a look at the new E and L policy when it comes.

i have tesco's insurance and Tia's has only had a increase of £5.86 for the year, which works out at 48p more each month (w00t) , so i am really pleased.

E & L have a very poor reputation in the horse world - I would think twice about insuring with them.

Val

:eek: :eek: I've heard really bad things about E&L on this and another forum. I've heard them called E(excuses) & L(lies). Have a look in FAQ at the insurance thread, I think a few K9ers had a lot of problems with them, Juley. If you change your mind then there should be a 7 day cooling off period :(

my friend had a dog insured with E and L , last year the dog was really poorly only 3 yr old but had liver failure , a little collie cross type , and had to be hospitalised , unfortunatly she ended up having to have the dog PTS :(

E and L took 4 months to settle the bill and the vet wouldnt deal with them so my friend had to borrow off her parents and wait for Eand L to refund her . also they made her pay the excess and the cost of having the dog PTS even though it was the only choice and on the vets reccomendation :rant:

her argument was she had pet insurance as she couldnt afford a large bill and she still ended up having to pay it up front as the vet wouldnt deal with them because of previouse long , drawn out claims from them in the past :thumbsup:

i keep a building society account and put £10 week in it and in an emergency ive got my mums credit card (w00t)

I've also seen them refered to as "E & Hell" :- " I wouldn't insure with them again after my experience of them.

OMG, right I'm going to cancel the policy ( I get 14 days to do this). I've just spoken to Tesco who I used to be with. They are better than M & S, by far. I might go back to them.

Juley said:
OMG, right I'm going to cancel the policy ( I get 14 days to do this). I've just spoken to Tesco who I used to be with. They are better than M & S, by far. I might go back to them.

GOOD IDEA!! :thumbsup:

Next time it might be easier to ask on here before you take the policy out!!!! :lol:

i pay £40.00 a month for my 4 with direct line,my oldest is 10, and we have a £65.00 excess .

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back