The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Man Jailed For

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Jail for tail docking??? I know you are not allowed (out here) to dock tails, but jail is a bit steep. (w00t)

Just think if all the tail dockers were jailed there would be no room left for the kiddy porkers, robbers, muggers etc. :(

Biting off tails is not really so much different to cutting them off in other ways. And considering that the brain connections needed for the pups to feel pain are not formed until about the 6th day these puppies did not suffer. Actually i heard that farmers also used to bite off pigs testicles. :x And there are many other farm practices which are considerebly more cruel and painful.

=Seraphina,Jun 3 2006, 06:38 AM]Biting off tails is not really so much different to cutting them off in other ways. And considering that the brain connections needed for the pups to feel pain are not formed until about the 6th day these puppies did not suffer[/b].  Actually i heard that farmers also used to bite off pigs testicles.  :x   And there are many other farm practices which are considerebly more cruel and painful.
That maybe so ..... but would you fancy doing this yourself (w00t) - one sick mind Id say - for this person. Im sure I couldnt even contemplate it myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cut lambs tails off with a stanley blade when I was about 12 years old ?(To save on elastic bands) It was done on my uncles farm, not a fond memory, as Agent Starling (Clarice) would recall in the movie, I would have nightmares, and no these lambs were not silent.

my hubs used to castrate his dads piggys and yes they do squeal! (w00t)

i bet theres a lot of guys reading this now who are feeling a bit queasy! :- "

Janimal said:
=Seraphina,Jun 3 2006, 06:38 AM]Biting off tails is not really so much different to cutting them off in other ways. And considering that the brain connections needed for the pups to feel pain are not formed until about the 6th day these puppies did not suffer[/b]. Actually i heard that farmers also used to bite off pigs testicles. :x And there are many other farm practices which are considerebly more cruel and painful.
That maybe so ..... but would you fancy doing this yourself (w00t) - one sick mind Id say - for this person. Im sure I couldnt even contemplate it myself.

No, but i am not a farmer.

Mike from Hereford said:
I cut lambs tails off with a stanley blade when I was about 12 years old ?(To save on elastic bands) It was done on my uncles farm, not a fond memory, as Agent Starling (Clarice) would recall in the movie,  I would have nightmares, and no these lambs were not silent.

I wonder how "painless" the elastic band method is. Just put an elastic band around your finger as tight as you can and see.

Children growing up on farms would see things like that done from the time they were little, they were told it is necessary and so practices like these continued.

Seraphina said:
Mike from Hereford said:
I cut lambs tails off with a stanley blade when I was about 12 years old ?(To save on elastic bands) It was done on my uncles farm, not a fond memory, as Agent Starling (Clarice) would recall in the movie,  I would have nightmares, and no these lambs were not silent.

I wonder how "painless" the elastic band method is. Just put an elastic band around your finger as tight as you can and see.

Children growing up on farms would see things like that done from the time they were little, they were told it is necessary and so practices like these continued.

Rubber Bands or Elastrator bands

This practice is necessary Lida I can assure you for the lambs.

Once the flystrike starts - the maggots eat their way into a live lamb or sheep and eventually kill it - and a horrible death that is (w00t)

the less tail they have the better and more hygenic it is for them. :thumbsup:

Care of new born lambs

Elastrator Bands

i have seen some horrific injuries caused by owners of pet dogs who tried to dock their dogs tails with elastic bands! :rant:

Oh god NO - they wernt designed with Dogs in mind. (w00t)

Janimal said:
Seraphina said:

Once the flystrike starts - the maggots eat their way into a live lamb or sheep and eventually kill it - and a horrible death that is (w00t)

Care of new born lambs

Elastrator Bands

:oops: I did not express myself very well. I was not suggesting that tails should not be removed off lambs. I have lost a sheep from fly strike. :( Here in OZ we go a step farther and Merino sheep on large country properties are mulesed. What I had in my mind when I mentioned cruel farm practices was things like battery hens, feed lot cattle and the poor piggies standing on metal grids in cages so small they cannot turn.

And what I meant was that farmers who routinely perform things like cutting lambs tails would not be too squeamish to bite off a puppy tail. Something I would find quite distasteful, if not different from the tail being docked in other way. As far as the rubber bands go; I would think it would be a bad alternative to use on puppies. Although, I believe that was also done in the past. I suppose if done immediately after birth it may not be different to other methods, except I am not sure how long it takes before the tail is “dead” and the animal does not feel any pain it.

Seraphina said:
Janimal said:
Seraphina said:

Care of new born lambs

Elastrator Bands

:oops: I did not express myself very well. I was not suggesting that tails should not be removed off lambs. I have lost a sheep from fly strike. :( Here in OZ we go a step farther and Merino sheep on large country properties are mulesed. What I had in my mind when I mentioned cruel farm practices was things like battery hens, feed lot cattle and the poor piggies standing on metal grids in cages so small they cannot turn.

And what I meant was that farmers who routinely perform things like cutting lambs tails would not be too squeamish to bite off a puppy tail. Something I would find quite distasteful, if not different from the tail being docked in other way. As far as the rubber bands go; I would think it would be a bad alternative to use on puppies. Although, I believe that was also done in the past. I suppose if done immediately after birth it may not be different to other methods, except I am not sure how long it takes before the tail is “dead” and the animal does not feel any pain it.

:oops: Sorry Lida - just thought some people may not know what they are used for. I Know you were not suggesting anything. :huggles:

My OH sells these products and tells me they are supposed to stop the blood flow within 48 hours and are in most cases used within the the first week after birth.

i docked all my own pups for over 30 years and i did it for many friends with other breeds, everything from yorkies to rottweilers.i always used the band method.there was no bleeding,no screaming and i could do it in front of the mum while the pups were still suckling and theyd just carry on.i always did it before the pups were 3 days old.and dew claws as well.i never lost a pup and never had any go into shock or suffer any ill effects.howeve the same couldnt be said for the ones ive seen done by vets.the first litter i had done by my vet and i nearly fainted and i dont faint easily! (w00t) he sliced them off with a scalpel then cauterised them with a small soldering iron type tool and the poor pups screamed the house down.i very nearly lost some that wouldnt stop bleeding.it was butchery at its worst. :( i came away swearing that id never put any pups through that again.so i approached an experienced breeder who told me to come down and watch her do a litter next time she had some pups.so i did and after seeing how easy it was and how there was no bleeding or screaming i thought thats for me! :thumbsup: personally i think experienced breeders should still be allowed to dock their own pups tails as banding is by far the lesser evil :thumbsup:

kris said:
i docked all my own pups for over 30 years and i did it for many friends with other breeds, everything from yorkies to rottweilers.i always used the band method.there was no bleeding,no screaming  and i could do it in front of the mum while the pups were still suckling and theyd just carry on.i always did it before the pups were 3 days old.and dew claws as well.i never lost a pup and never had any go into shock or suffer any ill effects.howeve the same couldnt be said for the ones ive seen done by vets.the first litter i had done by my vet and i nearly fainted and i dont faint easily! (w00t) he sliced them off with a scalpel then cauterised them with a small soldering iron type tool and the poor pups screamed the house down.i  very nearly lost some that wouldnt stop bleeding.it was butchery at its worst. :( i came away swearing that id never put any pups through that again.so i approached an experienced breeder who told me to come down and watch her do a litter next time she had some pups.so i did and after seeing how  easy it was and how there was no bleeding or screaming i thought thats for me! :thumbsup: personally i think experienced breeders should still be allowed to dock their own pups tails as banding is by far the lesser evil :thumbsup:
I have also seen pups' tails and dewclaws butchered by vets. If the information that it takes only 48hours "to kill" the tail is correct, then rubberbands done on the 3rd day or before would be fine. There would be no feeling in the tail by the 6th day, when the puppy starts to be able to feel pain more acutely. But if people put the bands on the 5th or 6th day it could cause more pain than skilled person snipping the tails off. But there may be a difference between lambs' and dogs' so ......I think I will stick with the Whippets and their lovely long tails :)

i always did them before 3 days sometimes i found the 2nd day the best.i never had a pup scream or anything,the most i had was a little squeak then carried on feeding! :D ive seen vets butcher dogs just cutting their nails! :oops:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back