The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Meet Rusty

arealhuman

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
After we recently lost our beloved best friend Jimmy, my wife and I found we had a huge gap in our lives. Something was missing. Of course, we knew it was the silence and emptiness of not having dear Jimmy around, he was involved in everything we did and we miss him so much. We decided we needed another dog to, hopefully, once again fill our house with four-legged joy and the hustle and bustle you get with a dog. We wanted to rescue a dog, as we rescued Jimmy. There are so many deserving dogs out there, it was a very hard choice to make, but we finally ended up with Rusty, so please say hello to him:

20230226113608.jpg

20230226113554.jpg

All being well, he should be with us this coming Friday. He is not a replacement for Jimmy - that's impossible - more a case of we can give a dog in need a loving home. A friend of mine said Jimmy would be happy that we're doing this, and I like to believe that.

We're really looking forward to welcoming him, although it will be tinged with sadness after losing Jimmy. Rusty is about 1.5 years old, so a lot younger than Jimmy who was about 6 years old when he came to us. He will also need training, so we will have our work cut out and so will you - there will be lots of questions from me! Lots!

Anyway, thought I'd share, more pictures once he's with us.

My eyes just started leaking.

I'm so happy for you, and for Rusty. Jimmy would definitely approve.

Oh wow, he looks fab! So excited for you both! For me I feel their is no better way to honour our dogs lost than by opening your home and heart to another soul in need, lovely:)

Well, what a downer, we've been told there'll be a two week(-ish) delay now due to a logistical hiccup :(:mad:

Oh no!

Where's he coming from?

Thanks @JoanneF - just had a quick scan and will read it properly later. It seems sensible and what I'd expect. You might recall Jimmy was a rescue dog from Croatia and whilst he was the perfect dog inside the house from almost day one, he was very reactive to all sorts outside which took us a while to sort out, and even then not completely.

I dif remember he was from somewhere in that region, I couldn't remember where though. I think the article gives a good insight into why these dogs are a bit different.

Oh my word Rusty is gorgeous! Wgat an absolute sweetie, good luck with him. So happy to hear he has found a lovely new home where he will be adored I'm sure.

Well, this little tacker arrived two days early on Thursday night! Needless to say, the first night he was full of nervous energy, exploring the house and not keeping still. We had 90 minutes sleep with lots of periods of us dropping off as we thought he'd settled, only to be awoken as he was up and about again! :D Last night was much better, he has the option of a crate or bed and walked straight into his bed and only woke up when I visited the loo, so I took him out at time too.

Today he's much more relaxed, he's in the garden and loves lying in the sun and generally exploring and learning about his new world. Tomorrow our plan is to take him for a short walk to see how he gets on, but so far next door's children and the dog the other side don't seem to have phased him. He's very affectionate and loves approaching us for a cuddle, and has had a couple of sessions of rolling on his back indoors with his legs in the air demanding a tummy rub! He's also smart and has learned to sit for a treat, and is managing to open some doors so we need to be wary of that. So far so good and we love being in his company.

Downside - I keep calling him Jimmy :(

rusty.jpg

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back