The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Microchipping

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Well I truly believe that if a thief is desperate to get your dog, they would regardless of chipping or tattoing. In my opinion, I chip and have them wearing a tag stating that in the hope that if they get lost, I will get them back. There is NO foolproof way of stopping thieves apart from very close observation and care of your dogs, even that might not be enough.SAD :( isn't it?

My son tries to "read" the microchips with a metal detector, hope that hasn't done any damage to them.

A dog local to me was stolen and dyed to look like a GSD, it was a Sibe, when found it had marks all down it's neck where they tried to gouge the microchip out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beerhound said:
My son tries to "read" the microchips with a metal detector, hope that hasn't done any damage to them.A dog local to me was stolen and dyed to look like a GSD, it was a Sibe, when found it had marks all down it's neck where they tried to gouge the microchip out.

thats shocking! hope the dog is ok? :(

~whitecross whippets~ said:
Beerhound said:
My son tries to "read" the microchips with a metal detector, hope that hasn't done any damage to them.A dog local to me was stolen and dyed to look like a GSD, it was a Sibe, when found it had marks all down it's neck where they tried to gouge the microchip out.

thats shocking! hope the dog is ok? :(

The Sibe was fine aftera bath, they didn't get the chip out so the dog was reunited with it's owner.

There was a thing on K9 a while back, think it was in whippets about a guy in Canada who tattoos his pups on their thigh and he is also doing other dogs like retrievers there now too. This could be a possibility over here I suppose?

He does it with a tattoo pen and says it doesn't hurt the pups. I know my tattoo hurt when I got it done. :sweating: But then again maybe it's short term pain for long term gain?

It was me that started the Tattooing thread because I am considering having my next litter tattooed but would rather have it done on their inner thigh instead of the ear but (and I haven't spoken to the NDTR yet) do not think this is possible. Nobody came up with any alternatives except the Canadian, which is not very helpful for me in England!!!

dessie said:
It was me that started the Tattooing thread because I am considering having my next litter tattooed but would rather have it done on their inner thigh instead of the ear but (and I haven't spoken to the NDTR yet) do not think this is possible.  Nobody came up with any alternatives except the Canadian, which is not very helpful for me in England!!!
I'd be prepared to have mine done in their thigh - would people be sick enough to chop their leg off? There must be some way of intorducing it over here. Maybe the Canadian guy would be prepared to come over here and teach some people how to do it??

At the moment both mine are mircrochipped and one is tattooed, but I still worry - mind you I am seriously paranoid. A guy stopped me on our walk to today and took out his camera phone as he was chatting to us. I thought he was going to take a pic of my boys but actually he was only showing me a pic of his dog - still freaked me out though!

Ooh puppies - what do you breed?? :wub:

clairej810 said:
dessie said:
It was me that started the Tattooing thread because I am considering having my next litter tattooed but would rather have it done on their inner thigh instead of the ear but (and I haven't spoken to the NDTR yet) do not think this is possible.  Nobody came up with any alternatives except the Canadian, which is not very helpful for me in England!!!
I'd be prepared to have mine done in their thigh - would people be sick enough to chop their leg off? There must be some way of intorducing it over here. Maybe the Canadian guy would be prepared to come over here and teach some people how to do it??

At the moment both mine are mircrochipped and one is tattooed, but I still worry - mind you I am seriously paranoid. A guy stopped me on our walk to today and took out his camera phone as he was chatting to us. I thought he was going to take a pic of my boys but actually he was only showing me a pic of his dog - still freaked me out though!

LOL! Whippets, of course!!!

Hi , all my dogs are microchiped and taged.

I work for the pound picking up stray dogs and after seeing what I see I have decided to get all of my dogs ears tattoed . Chips cant always be read and sometimes they are missed because they have moved around. I have seen a case of a dog having its ears cut off buts its alot rarer than having your dog returned to you safe and sound :))

I belive a tattoo would be more likely to put somebody off from stealing your dog

http://www.dogservices.co.uk/detail.php?ID=318

LOL! Whippets, of course!!!

DUH!! Me thick! :- " :thumbsup:

zara said:
Hi ,  all my dogs are microchiped and taged.
I work for the pound picking up stray dogs and after seeing what I see I have decided to get all of my dogs ears tattoed .  Chips cant always be read and sometimes they are missed because they have moved around.  I have seen a case of a dog having its ears cut off buts its alot rarer than having your dog returned to you safe and sound  :))  

I belive a tattoo would be more likely to put somebody off from stealing your dog

http://www.dogservices.co.uk/detail.php?ID=318

There is a beautiful girl called Eva in Greyhound Gap at the moment who has had holes burnt in her ears by battery acid to remove her tattoos. The people who did this to her sedated her with a dodgy anaesthetic and now she has a problem with one of her legs :rant:

Unfortunately she's not cat safe so I can't have her, otherwise I'd snap her up.

Anyway, my point was I'm not convinced an ear tattoo is going to put people off. I mean I know she is a greyhound so it was probably her so called owners that did this to her :rant: :rant: :rant: (apologies to all the nice greyhound racing owners on this site) but if it can be done to greyhounds what's to stop a thief doing the same?

Ooh, I got on my soap box a bit there - sorry but greyhound cruelty is something about which I feel very strongly.

My Max was starved, beaten and burned with cigarettes in a home after his racing career had finished.....

He's fine now, just scared of the smell of cigarettes....

Okay, I'm calm again! :sweating:

clairej810 said:
Ooh, I got on my soap box a bit there - sorry but greyhound cruelty is something about which I feel very strongly.
My Max was starved, beaten and burned with cigarettes in a home after his racing career had finished.....

He's fine now, just scared of the smell of cigarettes....

Okay, I'm calm again! :sweating:

Deep breaths.... :- "

It is cruel what they do, when they have finished with them... :angry:

had monty identichipped today and he bled everywhere :( he didnt cry or anything but it looked awful...the vet said it happens all the time?..i usually have black dogs but i cant say ive heard of it before(casper is white but he was done under ga when he was neutered so i dont know whether he bled but he was a adult )

he seems fine though...my poor baby :( has this happened to anyone else?

had monty identichipped today and he bled everywhere :( he didnt cry or anything but it looked awful...the vet said it happens all the time?..i usually have black dogs but i cant say ive heard of it before(casper is white but he was done under ga when he was neutered so i dont know whether he bled but he was a adult )he seems fine though...my poor baby :( has this happened to anyone else?

Poor boy :( None of mine, neither horses nor dogs, have bled in the slightest when I've had them chipped. Maybe it depends on the vet's technique? I'm sure he'd have done something about it if it was a real problem though? Sorry, I'm not much help am I?! :b

had monty identichipped today and he bled everywhere :( he didnt cry or anything but it looked awful...the vet said it happens all the time?..i usually have black dogs but i cant say ive heard of it before(casper is white but he was done under ga when he was neutered so i dont know whether he bled but he was a adult )he seems fine though...my poor baby :( has this happened to anyone else?

Neither Max or Tiny bled but Max did scream the place down because the chip didn't fire properly and had to be done three times! - Have you seen the size of those needles??! :( Mind you, mine seem to do a lot of screaming!! (w00t) :- "

Spry bled a bit Kaz I think I noticed more because she's white :( but the vet should have given you a bit of tissue to put a little pressure on it straight after, I think it depends also where exactly they put it because I can feel Spry's but I can't feel the girls chip :unsure:

Gracie has had her chip this morning, no blood not even a cry. Evie didn't bleed either, like Lesley said I think it is where they put it.

Poor Monty must just have been unlucky :( But with the size of the needle (w00t) i'm suprised more dogs don't bleed.

Julie

Neither of mine bled when they were done, nor did they scream.I am a bit of a coward though and didn't want them to associate (sp) me with pain if it hurt. So I got the OHto take them in.

Beerhound said:

Neither of mine bled when they were done, nor did they scream.I am a bit of a coward though and didn't want them to associate (sp) me with pain if it hurt. So I got the OHto take them in.

lol I made OH take callie and Sienna :b but I'm a bit braver now and I like to be there to comfort them afterwards :huggles:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back