The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

More/less Or The Same

since u have been racing are there more/less or the same amount of dogs racing now?

• more

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • less

• same

• Total voters

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
dogs are a lot faster nowadays than they were 25/30 year ago, it's just the smaller dogs have improved more than the heavyweights

Not digging just wondering if the lightweights have improved so much, why have the heavyweights not as they have the same opportunites out there as the lightweights, does anyone have any thoughts ?????? If they were good enough years ago why are the not now?

Or is it that we have actually moved the goalposts ourselves by our way of breeding, changes in weight limits, formats etc. (what we now call middleweight whippets, were once classed as heavyweights 28/30lb now the weight restriction has been raised, these are our m/w's.

dogs are a lot faster nowadays than they were 25/30 year ago, it's just the smaller dogs have improved more than the heavyweights
Not digging just wondering if the lightweights have improved so much, why have the heavyweights not as they have the same opportunites out there as the lightweights, does anyone have any thoughts ?????? If they were good enough years ago why are the not now?

Or is it that we have actually moved the goalposts ourselves by our way of breeding, changes in weight limits, formats etc. (what we now call middleweight whippets, were once classed as heavyweights 28/30lb now the weight restriction has been raised, these are our m/w's.
I think there tends to be a gap in the "middle". From what I can tell the general concensus has for a very long time been that in order to win a handicap supreme you need a fast lighterweight dog (perhaps reflecting the sports development and greater popularity for sprint stright racing) and therefore breeding has taken place accordingly, aiming to breed a fast litter under 25lb.

Conversely as scratch racing has increased in popularity it has moved from the category for "dogs over weight limit" to a recognised competition in it's own right where winning supreme scratch carries as much weight as winning handicap supreme. Breeders of scratch dogs aim to produce a fast litter over 35lb. So in the meantime the 25-35lb (i.e h/w) section tends to be reserved for those dogs that are produced from a scratch litter that fall under the 35lb mark or those bred in a handicap litter that go over the 25lb mark. Perhaps if someone made it their breeding aspiration to produce a fast dogs of between 25-35lb then those dogs in the "gap" would improve in line with their larger or smaller counterparts.

For saying this however I am sure there are some that prefer to attempt to produce a versatile litter of decent quality regardless of whether they're 15lb, 56lb or anything inbetween.

its simple,,,,,,,,,,u have a 32lber giving 12yards away to 20lber,,,,,distance is 150yrds,,,,,,back dog has only secounds to catch front dog,,,,,,,,,,,,u would bet lightweight every time

its to do with the distance,,,,,,150 or 160 yrds ,,,,,is a quick hopp skip and jump,,,,to our 4 legged friends ,,,,,but thats just the way it is,, and i for one except this,,,,,,now and again ull get heavy weight that will give the lightweights a run for there money,,,and its a pleasure to watch

i totaly agree karen

its simple,,,,,,,,,,u have a 32lber giving 12yards away to 20lber,,,,,distance is 150yrds,,,,,,back dog has only secounds to catch front dog,,,,,,,,,,,,u would bet lightweight every time

its to do with the distance,,,,,,150 or 160 yrds ,,,,,is a quick hopp skip and jump,,,,to our 4 legged friends ,,,,,but thats just the way it is,, and i for one except this,,,,,,now and again ull get heavy weight that will give the lightweights a run for there money,,,and its a pleasure to watch

great post totally agree

Agree its a pleasure to watch the h/w's run their hearts out to catch the m/w's or l/w's and i am the first to say a brill achievement, as i have congratulated the h/w Billy Casper recently this big dog got to the Derby Final and put up a good show, and i believe he gave away something like 8yds and 16yds last week to dead heat in fantastic race in the dog final, big dog doing well ;) I am also the first to shout on the 16lbers again when hanging on to their start and like the h/w's don't quite get to the line first the middleweights often seem to eat them up in the last few yards(even at 150 so 140 be nice occasionally for them :eek: ), they too rarely hang on to their start just long enough to get to the line first :) so 2ft/lb for these gutsy little triers doesn't seem fair to me, like i say we do change the goalposts :b

I wasn't trying to be funny, just saying difficult it may be but the tinies, and the biggies when good enough can do the business too :) just m/w's seem to do the best over whatever it be yd/lb or 2ft/lb many of the same dogs would win either or :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets face it yes the dogs have got faster light/middle and heavy weight but they are dogs. The problem as not been the dogs getting faster in this sport the problem for the incline of whippets/tracks ect ect as to be down to the people in this sport and the changes they make year after year omo :D

Lets face it yes the dogs have got faster light/middle and heavy weight but they are dogs. The problem as not been the dogs getting faster in this sport the problem for the incline of whippets/tracks ect ect as to be down to the people in this sport and the changes they make year after year omo :D
WOW kwow one commenting thats a turn up lol bit close to the true maybe ? :D

I do agree there has been a decline in tracks, dogs and people in the sport. One of the reasons for the decline in tracks has to be down to the fact that there are less green areas around, much land has been bought to build on etc. councils/athletic clubs with fields etc need to bring in revenue to pay for their fields, hence higher rents etc that many of the small clubs just could not afford to pay, so had to fold.

I love weekend events as much as anyone else but i do think this makes it harder for us to get the facilities that people expect if they are wanting to stay over, where as if things are held on one day events the main facility needed is a decent track and toilet for those travelling, refreshments are nice but we could all do a packed lunch, pubs are nice but not an essential, is it the fact that we expect more than just a track to race on now !!!

Changes made each year (not sure which ones you are meaning in your post nokia) , well life is full of changes you have to make the most of them, people in the sport/hobby plenty of good uns in it and we can pick our own friends - been racing forever and don't see me finishing in the near future - life without whippet racing nah dont see it - god i know im SAD ;) plus off work and bored hence the essay :clown:

I do agree there has been a decline in tracks, dogs and people in the sport. One of the reasons for the decline in tracks has to be down to the fact that there are less green areas around, much land has been bought to build on etc. councils/athletic clubs with fields etc need to bring in revenue to pay for their fields, hence higher rents etc that many of the small clubs just could not afford to pay, so had to fold.
I love weekend events as much as anyone else but i do think this makes it harder for us to get the facilities that people expect if they are wanting to stay over, where as if things are held on one day events the main facility needed is a decent track and toilet for those travelling, refreshments are nice but we could all do a packed lunch, pubs are nice but not an essential, is it the fact that we expect more than just a track to race on now !!!

Changes made each year (not sure which ones you are meaning in your post nokia) , well life is full of changes you have to make the most of them, people in the sport/hobby plenty of good uns in it and we can pick our own friends - been racing forever and don't see me finishing in the near future - life without whippet racing nah dont see it - god i know im SAD ;) plus off work and bored hence the essay :clown:
Quite enjoy,reading your posts,wether your bored or not Karen :lol: and agree with all you've put. :thumbsup: Don't believe the numbers of years gone by will return,but think we could improve numbers coming into whippet racing,if we try.

Don't believe the numbers of years gone by will return,but think we could improve numbers coming into whippet racing,if we try.

question is HOW ? And a lot of tracks have closed just through sheer numbers of people giving the sport up through a few reasons but main one is bitching and back stabbing ect ect :(

David not trying to be flippant but stop watches have improved but have tape measures, Not all tracks are true distances, cant be with some of the times recorded Les.

David not trying to be flippant but stop watches have improved but have tape measures, Not all tracks are true distances, cant be with some of the times recorded Les.
I must agree les few tracks I see no way I full distance

newton aycliffe track is measured on a regular basis :D Not picking on any track in particular John but you must have thought at times that looks short

newton aycliffe track is measured on a regular basis :D Not picking on any track in particular John but you must have thought at times that looks short
:D

only when it did'nt involve any of my dogs les[/b] :lol: :lol: :lol:

just looked back in some old whippet news the last time measham was run was 1981 there was 325 dogs there .run on two tracks next to one another.we was lucky enough to win sup with falconers gold the track was lined with people 3 deep to watch the finals this will never happen again what a shame. good times. jeff. :thumbsup: :D

just looked back in some old whippet news the last time measham was run was 1981 there was 325 dogs there .run on two tracks next to one another.we was lucky enough to win sup with falconers gold the track was lined with people 3 deep to watch the finals this will never happen again what a shame. good times. jeff. :thumbsup: :D
And why would you think this jeffsteve ?

WHYS THAT JEFF LESS MONEY AROUND OR GIRLFRIENDS WONT LET THEM GO :p

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back