The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Muscle Injury

watchdog

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi Everyone

I am new to this board but appreciate your help. I have a 6yr old working German Shepherd which has been diagnosed with a contracted gracilis muscle injury. My vet has more or less told me there is nothing they can do for him. However not being content with that answer I have been on the internet and have since learned that this is a condition that racing greyhounds can get.

I really don't know the truth in this statement but have joined this forum in hope that someone has came across this condition and could perhaps give me first hand info. on what I could do.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hiya Watchdog,

It is true that gryhounds get gracillis problems, some get a slight tear and then knot others completely rip them which means they drop completely , which you can see, as a huge bulge, none of this is life threatening but does mean that they can't race around bends anymore but it doesn't stop the from running free, we used a muscle linament on our greyhounds and massaged them everyday either with your hands or with an infra red massager, if you click on the greyhound mega store site you would be able to get linament or just use human ones, your vet is right to degree, hope this is of help

welcome to k9

Debbie b said:
Hiya Watchdog,
It is true that gryhounds get gracillis problems, some get a slight tear and then knot others completely rip them which means they drop completely , which you can see, as a huge bulge, none of this is life threatening but does mean that they can't race around bends anymore but it doesn't stop the from running free, we used a muscle linament on our greyhounds and massaged them everyday either with your hands or with an infra red massager, if you click on the greyhound mega store site you would be able to get linament or just use human ones, your vet is right to degree, hope this is of help

welcome to k9

Hi Debbie b

Thanks for your quick reply:

Have been on the greyhound mega store site and have been looking at Alco Ectolin which I believe helps blood flow through the muscle.

This I think would be a good help for my lad as my understanding is that the contracture is caused by the lack of bloodflow through the muscle due to the original injury . Can I ask how long you would massage the affected muscle ie. 15mins - 30mins or longer as I have never had to do anything like this before.

The dog's attitude to his work hasn't changed but he does however have a strange hind leg action.

hiya

i would suggest you rub in small circles and for about 10 mins, if you feel heat put frozen veg on it,the leg acrion won't go completely but will improve you might have do this for quite a while or even the rest of his life as he is a working dog, just use it as your routine

Debbie b said:
hiya
i would suggest you rub in small circles and for about 10 mins, if you feel heat put frozen veg on it,the leg acrion won't go completely but will improve you might have do this for quite a while or even the rest of his life as he is a working dog, just use it as your routine

Thanks for the info. I appreciate your help will let you know how it goes !!!

Lavender oil or Olive oil is just as good, i alway massage up over and very gentle ...if the injury's just happened wait till all internal bleeding or redness has gone ..maybe wise to your dog keep on a leader for a few weeks , then walks for a further few weeks , then he should be okay to free run

Then important to keep the muscle soft IE the application of oil

watchdog said:
Hi Everyone
I am new to this board but appreciate your help. I have a 6yr old working German Shepherd which has been diagnosed with a contracted gracilis muscle injury. My vet has more or less told me there is nothing they can do for him. However not being content with that answer I have been on the internet and have since learned that this is a condition that racing greyhounds can get.

I really don't know the truth in this statement but have joined this forum in hope that someone has came across this condition and could perhaps give me first hand info. on what I could do.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back