The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My Babies Had Their Dewclaws Removed

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Thats excellent to see. :thumbsup:

Im afraid Kobis are not that neat at all, he has a scar. :(

Seraphina said:
Yep,that is what our puppies scars look like too,I did mine myself as I had huge problems the last time a vet them!!! :( If done correctly they should be virtually unoticeable. :thumbsup:

pollyanna said:
I started to try to trim them when she was about 10 weeks - just nipped off the very end of a claw but even that terrified her so I left it.  They were done properly when she was spayed at just over a year , and then again (as I mentioned) at about 2.5 yrs (she is 4.5 now).Actually, she chews her back claws so they aren't a problem and her front ones seem to wear away or break off and don't get too long, so I have left it, but if she does start getting very long claws, I'll get the vet, of whom she is now very scared (and I've tried 3 different vets - 2 in my usual practise and one in a different one) to give her some sedation and clip them again.

Thanks for the advise and reassuring me it wasn't her dew-claw removal at the bottom of it - I just have to accept that my otherwise confident whippie is a whimp about claws! :teehee:

Lots of Whippets don't like have nails trimmed, especially with clipers. I use a Dremmel type tool now and they are much better at accepting having it done. I usually cut the hind claws and whizz the front one, so much easier!!!

05whippet said:
Seraphina said:
Yep,that is what our puppies scars look like too,I did mine myself as I had huge problems the last time a vet them!!! :( If done correctly they should be virtually unoticeable. :thumbsup:

Yep and mine! I'm lucky my Vet is 'old school' and knows how to dock and dewclaw properly. I just couldn't do it myself, not so much the cutting off but the squeezing the little paw tight, I would be scared of breaking it!!!

[

I have to sedate one of mine to trim her toenails and she still fights but I'm going to persist because it's worth it to keep their feet comfortable for them - she's young and she'll learn it's not really that scary in time.

How do you sedate her Fiona? (I mean, what do you use?) I can't get anywhere near Polly to cut her nails - she knows when I'm even thinking about it. :- " She collapsed at the vets after he did it and was in shock for 5 hours (w00t)

I've never done it since. They grow fairly long, then break off but never get so long as to be a nuisance for her. She bites her back claws!!

I'd love a solution to this problem. Twiggy and Lily just stand and let me do it but you don't see Polly for dust and she's out of sorts and won't let me come near her for several days if I try to sneak up and do it when she's asleep.

Kobi hates it too, but dosnt sound as bad as Polly though. (w00t)

As soon as I open the drawer in the kitchen where I keep the clippers..... hes off

as far away from me as possible.

He is getting slightly better and gets treats afterwards, of course. :)

dessie said:
pollyanna said:
I started to try to trim them when she was about 10 weeks - just nipped off the very end of a claw but even that terrified her so I left it.  They were done properly when she was spayed at just over a year , and then again (as I mentioned) at about 2.5 yrs (she is 4.5 now).Actually, she chews her back claws so they aren't a problem and her front ones seem to wear away or break off and don't get too long, so I have left it, but if she does start getting very long claws, I'll get the vet, of whom she is now very scared (and I've tried 3 different vets - 2 in my usual practise and one in a different one) to give her some sedation and clip them again.

Thanks for the advise and reassuring me it wasn't her dew-claw removal at the bottom of it - I just have to accept that my otherwise confident whippie is a whimp about claws! :teehee:

Lots of Whippets don't like have nails trimmed, especially with clipers. I use a Dremmel type tool now and they are much better at accepting having it done. I usually cut the hind claws and whizz the front one, so much easier!!!

Yep the Dremmel is brilliant.......I do the same as you Caroline. Quicker too.

Before we had our new boys and Scarlett we had a whippet by the name of Jack.He was a big 22inch blue boy who loved to chase his toys.One day he chased after his fav toy and his dew claw nail ripped.The blood flow was amazing! Took Jack to vets who bandaged after cleaning the wound,the blood came straight threw the bandage time after time.We really thought we were going to lose him.

Finally it was a friend of mine who told me to get some arnica from boots which did the job in minutes!

The moral of the story is ? GET THEM DEW CLAWS OFF WHEN DOG IS TINY.And if u decide to keep dew claws on do get some arnica just in case.

All mine are done and scar tissue is minimal

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back