The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My Beloved Dessie

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Nicola said:
What a lovely idea, planting a tree, to remember loved ones by.
This thread has got me thinking about how I would like to remember my dogs when they go (not for a while, touch wood), and I think I will go that route (well a rose plant maybe as I don't have room for trees). Can't see us ever moving (sigh).

I think it has been good to discuss this topic so openly but with tact.

I agree. When I created the post I deliberately didn't say much just to see what the reaction was!! It was interesting to see the number of times it had been read and no-one actually brave enough to make the first comment!!

I do have to admit though that I am having to resist a very strong temptation to take her 'Out And About' (excuse the pun! LOL) with me in the car, as she always used to accompany me everywhere.

You are braver than me dessie, the thought that they are laying there and I would never see their beautiful, expressive eyes open again, that they would never run over the park chasing the birds and would never pinch the roast chicken again would be far too hard for me.

Glad that you are happy with the results though.

Hope you don't mind me posting this in your beloved Dessie thread Dessie, but all these lovely comments have reminded me of a long running joke in our family, and the differnt ways people cope.

After my father died, many years ago, my mother did not know what to do with his ashes. She bought the urn home and wandered around the house trying to decide on the right spot for him to rest until she had decided where to scatter his ashes. Finally, she placed him in a sideboard cupboard with the booze. Dad liked a drink, so mum felt he would be happy in there for a while. Well there he stayed.

Every so often mum would raise the question of what to do with dad.

Several years had passed, and mum lost her beloved dog George. We never had dogs growing up, and I had never lived with George. When mum rang to tell me about George, she couldn't believe how upset she was over his passing. Her neighbours had been extremely kind and taken George out to their weekend farm. He had been buried under a large tree, near a creek. After I got off the phone, I was telling my OH about how much comfort it had given her, knowing George had such a lovely resting place. OH made a comment which caused me to ring mum back and ask "where's dad' to which my mother replied in a very puzzled tone "your father" , " yes mum, dad, where is he?". She thought I was loosing the plot a little, so she very softly said " dear, your fathers dead". To which I replied " yes mum, I know, you've buried the dog, now where's dad"

He's still in the cupboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tesa. I wasn't going to say in case it upset any-one. My Mum still has my Dad's ashes. She could never bear to scatter them. My Aunt ( Dad's brothers wife) thinks it is awful to have them in the house ( they are not on view). As Mum says, he was good to her in life so he won't harm her now. When I go, I want to be cremated and scattered over the sea. ( Hopefully on a calm day).

We considered scattering our greyhound Prince's ashes in his favourite woods. Then I had visions of them getting picked up on people's shoes, being wiped off on their carpets and then being vacuumed up! Needless to say they are still in a nice wooden casket on the dressing table. I couldn't bring myself to bury the casket either.

Our vet was trying to comfort us when Prince was put to sleep, and told us that he planted a tree and put his mother's ashes around it so that she was part of the tree. He was a little worried about if he moves one day.

Cerito

When Fleur lost 2 of her first litter at under 24 hours old :( ,I decided to bury them in the garden near Simon and Badger , I planted an Iris on top and the first year it flowered their were 2 storks with flowers on . A few weeks ago I lost my old cat `Ambrose ` :( he was a `Lilac Burmese so I planted a rose on his plot and it flowered as near to Lilac as a rose can be 8)

`Ashes` remind me of a story about a friend of mine who married someone alot older than them and he was a real grump in his later years and when he died she kept his ashers in the caravan . On reaching her 40 th birthday she had a big bash at home and when we were all enjoying ourselves she said ` look at the caravan , its swaying cos he cant bare me having a good time !! It did make us laugh . mind you wed all had a few bevvies by then too :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I know someone who had there deceased partners ashers put in a teddy bear which they took to bed :eek: :wacko: each night :b

JAX said:
When Fleur lost 2 of her first litter at under 24 hours old  :( ,I decided to bury them in the garden near Simon and Badger , I planted an Iris  on top and the first year it flowered their were 2 storks with flowers on  . A few weeks ago I lost my old cat `Ambrose `  :(   he was a `Lilac  Burmese so I planted a rose on his plot and it flowered as near to Lilac as a rose can be  8)
`Ashes` remind me of a story about a friend of mine who married someone alot older than them and he was a real grump in his later years  and when he died she kept his ashers in the caravan . On reaching her 40 th birthday she had a big bash at home and when we were all enjoying ourselves she said ` look at the caravan , its swaying cos he cant bare me having a good time  !! It did make us laugh . mind you wed all had a few bevvies by then too  :cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:

I know someone who had there  deceased partners ashers put in a teddy bear which they took to bed  :eek:   :wacko: each night  :b

The teddy bear thing is freaky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (w00t)

Karen said:
kris said:
i know taxidermy is very expensive as when hubs caught a large fish some years ago he put it in the freezer (we could only just get it in!) and rang up a couple of taxidermists to price getting his pride and joy stuffed and mounted in a glass case.after they told him how much it would cost he decided against it! :- "

Fish are harder and more expensive to mount, I have painted a few specimen salmon and trout for fishermen from their actual fish, life size so it still hangs on the wall as a reminder of the day. Did you eat it or was it a big carp or pike?

it was a great big carp!it were massive.hubs said it were so big it had its own fishing rod! :blink:

Tesa said:
Hope you don't mind me posting this in your beloved Dessie thread Dessie, but all these lovely comments have reminded me of a long running joke in our family, and the differnt ways people cope.
After my father died, many years ago, my mother did not know what to do with his ashes.  She bought the urn home and wandered around the house trying to decide on the right spot for him to rest until she had decided where to scatter his ashes.  Finally, she placed him in a sideboard cupboard with the booze.  Dad liked a drink, so mum felt he would be happy in there for a while.  Well there he stayed. 

Every so often mum would raise the question of what to do with dad.   

Several years had passed, and mum lost her beloved dog George.  We never had dogs growing up, and I had never lived with George.  When mum rang to tell me about George, she couldn't believe how upset she was over his passing.  Her neighbours had been extremely kind and taken George out to their weekend farm.  He had been buried under a large tree, near a creek.    After I got off the phone, I was telling my OH about how much comfort it had given her, knowing George had such a lovely resting place.  OH made a comment which caused me to ring mum back and ask "where's dad'  to which my mother replied in a very puzzled tone "your father" , " yes mum, dad, where is he?".  She thought I was loosing the plot a little, so she very softly said " dear, your fathers dead".  To which I replied " yes mum, I know, you've buried the dog, now where's dad"

He's still in the cupboard.

Love it!!! LOL!

JAX said:
I know someone who had there  deceased partners ashers put in a teddy bear which they took to bed  :eek:   :wacko: each night  :b
I like that idea as well!! Wished I had thought about that when Mr Taxidermist asked if I wanted her body back!

My Bracken (GWP) was cremated last September and his ashes are to be shared between me and the OH when we go.

Father-in-law is putting Jet's ashes with his late wife's as Jet was her dog.

Each to their own and what they feel most comfortable with.

Hmmn, you're giving me ideas - when I finally throttle OH (in yet another second whippet argument), I'll have him mounted, seated at his computer. I wonder if anyone would notice the difference, he hardly budges from there as it is :- "

moriarte said:
Hmmn, you're giving me ideas - when I finally throttle OH (in yet another second whippet argument), I'll have him mounted, seated at his computer. I wonder if anyone would notice the difference, he hardly budges from there as it is  :- "
I can recommend a good taxidermist in that case! LOL!!

moriarte said:
Hmmn, you're giving me ideas - when I finally throttle OH (in yet another second whippet argument), I'll have him mounted, seated at his computer. I wonder if anyone would notice the difference, he hardly budges from there as it is  :- "
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Caroline,

I'm coming in a bit late on this one, sorry. I think Dessie looks lovely and am really pleased that you are happy with her. It must have been a worrying time for you, and it must be wonderful for you and the clan to have her home :wub:

ASHES

when OH Dad was cremated we put some ashes at the root of a new plant with red blooms right in view in front garden, being a BIG Liverpool fan the rest were scattered at the KOP end of Anfield, it was the year of Queens 50 th and school had a party, kids could dress up in red/white and blue. My child had to dress as the queen of course, so I hastily made a cardboard crown with glued on jewels but searched the house for some red velvet for the centre.

OH suggested using the red velvet bag that the box of ashes used to be in (w00t) when I got used to the idea I must say it looked a great crown, after I'd hoovered out any remaining ashes from the corners !

Sophie agreed that she did feel that Grandad Arthur was watching her that day and no, her head wasn't at all itchy (w00t) (should I tell her when she's older ?)

kris said:
Karen said:
kris said:
i know taxidermy is very expensive as when hubs caught a large fish some years ago he put it in the freezer (we could only just get it in!) and rang up a couple of taxidermists to price getting his pride and joy stuffed and mounted in a glass case.after they told him how much it would cost he decided against it! :- "

Fish are harder and more expensive to mount, I have painted a few specimen salmon and trout for fishermen from their actual fish, life size so it still hangs on the wall as a reminder of the day. Did you eat it or was it a big carp or pike?

it was a great big carp!it were massive.hubs said it were so big it had its own fishing rod! :blink:

OMG my OH would spare if he saw anyone killing a carp (w00t) especially a big one

*Lesley* said:
kris said:
Karen said:
kris said:

OMG my OH would spare if he saw anyone killing a carp (w00t) especially a big one

Its not really the done thing, but sometimes the very big ones are not in a fit state to be returned. I dont like fishing I think its cruel but really lets not go there (w00t)

*Lesley* said:
kris said:
Karen said:
kris said:

Don't know what sort of carp you are talking about Lesley, but he in Oz they are concidered vermon :nuke: . It's illegal to throw them back when you catch them. All the fishermen I know, bash them over the head for a quick death and then leave them on the banks of the river. I believe this would be the common practice over here.

Tesa said:
Don't know what sort of carp you are talking about Lesley, but he in Oz they are concidered vermon :nuke: .  It's illegal to throw them back when you catch them.
Oooh, nooooo it's so different here! There are several magazines in this country dedicated to carp fishing (all full of men holding huge carp). They are very valuable, the biggest ones going for huge sums! I think they are just ordinary mirror carp, or whatever we have in our rivers normally.

http://www.carpforum.co.uk/Shared/Forums.asp

A number of people in the waterfowl fraternity have converted their lakes to carp fisheries as it's a lot more profitable.

moriarte said:
Tesa said:
Don't know what sort of carp you are talking about Lesley, but he in Oz they are concidered vermon :nuke: .  It's illegal to throw them back when you catch them.
Oooh, nooooo it's so different here! There are several magazines in this country dedicated to carp fishing (all full of men holding huge carp). They are very valuable, the biggest ones going for huge sums! I think they are just ordinary mirror carp, or whatever we have in our rivers normally.

http://www.carpforum.co.uk/Shared/Forums.asp

A number of people in the waterfowl fraternity have converted their lakes to carp fisheries as it's a lot more profitable.

This is ours http://www.murrayriver.com.au/fishing/carp.htm Known as the rabbit of the river

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back