The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My Beloved Dessie

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
When I visited the NHM last year I made a beeline to Mick the Millers usual spot and he'd gone! I was told he'd been put 'out the back' to make way for another exhibit :(

dessie said:
Well, as I said, I haven't been to the NHM for years and years and it is a while since I went to Tring so it would make sense if they have them all in one place now.
It's funny because we used to go regularly to the NHM I also used to make a bee-line for Mick the Miller and the half horse exhibit (sorry, to explain for those who have not seen it, the 'outside' view of the horse on one side and the skeleton on t'other) .......... I found it fascinating.

Well done with Dessie Caroline, just watch that Rupert (w00t) . What happens when you lose someone else?

I used to go to the NHM a lot too to see Mick and the horse. I once fell right down those stairs (yes them at the back)and broke my wrist, I was not looking where I was going, no blame, no claim :wacko:

I used to love the half horse as well. I live quite near Tring, and used the bird skin collection for my thesis at University, but some how have managed not to hear about the dog bit- will be going ASAP

OEH please post a pic of Ballyregen Bob would love to see him

bally_bob.jpg

Caroline I am pleased that you are not disappointed and I agree with the others that if it makes you happy it was the right thing to do. My OH has always said that he will have Rosie our greyhound done when she dies, but interestingly he changed his mind when I showed him this thread.

Ballyregan Bob was visiting the Newmarket Horse racng museum when I was there recently. I had seen him and Mick the Miller at the Millenium 2000 call over.

Cerito

i know taxidermy is very expensive as when hubs caught a large fish some years ago he put it in the freezer (we could only just get it in!) and rang up a couple of taxidermists to price getting his pride and joy stuffed and mounted in a glass case.after they told him how much it would cost he decided against it! :- "

dessie said:
moriarte said:
I'll have to have a trip to Tring though, if only to see my old friend Mick the Miller (he was looking a bit moth-eaten last time I went to the NHM):http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/galleries/tr...s/gallery6.html

I haven't been for years to the NHM but that was where I last saw Mick the Miller, I don't remember seeing him at Tring I think they only have Ballyregan Bob.

Mick the Miller is at Tring, well he was when I visited last year, it is free entry and well worth a visit if you live near enough. Also the changes in some of the breeds over the years are amazing, maybe not all for the better but I will leave you to make your own decisions on that.

whipowill said:
I think Dessie looks lovely, peaceful.
Today on Aussie TV there was a segment about taking the ashes of your pet or loved one and having the carbon extracted and then it was compressed and made into a diamond.  They had a lady who was wearing a diamond ring and the stone was made from the carbon of the ashes of her son.

I have looked into this possibility sometime ago, but that is very expensive; if I remember correctly starting price was about $5 000, but anythyng that i liked was $10000 or more. (w00t)

Lida

dessie said:
t's funny because we used to go regularly to the NHM I also used to make a bee-line for Mick the Miller and the half horse exhibit (sorry, to explain for those who have not seen it, the 'outside' view of the horse on one side and the skeleton on t'other) .......... I found it fascinating.
OMG, it's not just me then (w00t) You have to creep behind the case a bit to see the furry side properly. Got a photo of it somewhere, will take hours to burrow it out of my archive though :(

She looks lovely Caroline.

I agree that you don't know what you'll do till the time comes. My parents had their last dog cremated and keep the box on their entertainment centre. When they first told me I thought it a bit much, but after thinking about the fact that we know we won't be at this house forever, and how much Chelsea (our first dog together, and Nick's first dog ever) means to us we couldn't bear to leave her behind if she were gone and we moved, so we actually are quite taken with the idea of decorative boxes for our girls' ashes when the time comes. No one needs to know what they are - they'll just be on a shelf looking decorative. But WE will still have them with us.

And now I've become one of the saddos I couldn't understand before, but I don't care. We all do what makes us feel better.

Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always buried mine but recently I have been thinking that if I have them cremated and keep their ashes then I can either have them buried with me in my papier mache pod in the woods or I could have them scattered on top of my grave.

Though it's getting harder to find somewhere that will cremate your pet.

kris said:
i know taxidermy is very expensive as when hubs caught a large fish some years ago he put it in the freezer (we could only just get it in!) and rang up a couple of taxidermists to price getting his pride and joy stuffed and mounted in a glass case.after they told him how much it would cost he decided against it! :- "

Fish are harder and more expensive to mount, I have painted a few specimen salmon and trout for fishermen from their actual fish, life size so it still hangs on the wall as a reminder of the day. Did you eat it or was it a big carp or pike?

Believe me, I thought long and hard about all the options I had and the mounting bit had always been said half-jokingly BUT when it came to the thought of never, ever seeing her again I just knew I had to investigate the option of taxidermy.

I have never wanted to bury any of my dogs/cats .......... what happens when you move??? (Having said that my friend lost one of her Cockers who meant as much to her as DW did to me. She had always had them cremated & boxed but she built a strong box and buried her in that so that if and when they moved they could dig her up!! Now, personally I couldn't do that but as has been said, each to their own!)

I didn't want to have her cremated and keep her ashes in a box ........ that wouldn't have been DW in a box and I could hardly scatter her ashes either in the sitting room or the bedroom, which were her domains!!

So taxidermy it was .............. Dessie's spirit left when she died so whatever I did with her remains were only for my benefit and peace of mind

Mr Taxidermist did ask whether I wanted her body back to bury/cremate or did I want him to 'dispose' of it (proper-like as Vets do!) and I must admit I waivered at that point and wondered whether to have her back to cremate and then thought that was a touch OTT as I have never believed in doing that so declined his kind offer!

All I can say is I am really, really glad that I took the plunge.

I still have BJ's ashes. He died 7th Dec 2003 aged 15months. We still cant bury him :( . He is in a lovley box in the bedroom and will stay there till we decide to either bury him or scatter his ashes.

>All I can say is I am really, really glad that I took the plunge.

And that's all that matters Dessie. :thumbsup:

I think the most important thing is to do what you feel is right for you and that you can live with. When I have lost an animal ( all cats so far) I have always buried them in the garden. This is our 5th house ( so far) :lol: , so they have been left behind when we have moved. However as they live in my heart, I have always been OK that their remains have been left in the garden they knew and loved. When Mark and I lost our Dad's in the early 1980's we planted a tree for each of them which again we left behind when we moved. My neighbour asked me when we moved last year if I was going to take the plum tree I planted for my Dad but I felt that if I moved it and it died it would upset me more thatn leaving it. We will be planting a tree in our new garden this autumn for each of our Dads. I actually think that Dessie looks beautiful, I'm not sure its for me thou. However, I did read that you can have the skin made into a pillow which I thought was a lovely idea. My family were horrified though. I think nobody really knows how they will feel until the time comes. At the end of the day, if it brings you comfort, then it is the right thing to do.

What a lovely idea, planting a tree, to remember loved ones by.

This thread has got me thinking about how I would like to remember my dogs when they go (not for a while, touch wood), and I think I will go that route (well a rose plant maybe as I don't have room for trees). Can't see us ever moving (sigh).

I think it has been good to discuss this topic so openly but with tact.

Really sorry that you had to lose her Caroline.

Personally,I've always fancied having my dogs stuffed/mounted - whatever you call it.Always assumed we wouldn't be able to afford it,also,at some point our mounted dogs would outnumber the live ones,so the house would be even more cramped.

Dessie looks lovely,as if she's asleep and is going to get up at any moment.

Lyd

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back