The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My Dog And I Are Lost!

cathy pownall

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'm sorry to bother everyone but I posted a request on this site a few days ago and today I have replied to somebody else's post.

Unfortunately, I have lost both posts and keep getting further lost. This is a really lovely site with some beautiful pictures but I can't find my way around.

The basis of my request is that I am looking for a whippet bitch without papers for my French ped whippet to breed with.

You have probably all seen the posts in passing but I don't know where they are so don't know if anyone has replied.

Help!

Cathy

Click on your own name and it'll take you to your profile where you will see a list giving you the option to view your own topics or posts!!! :luck: :luck: :thumbsup:

Am i the only one wondering just WHY you want a whippet bitch without papers to mate your french pedigree dog to??? :blink:

You obviously are not interested in showing??

Just interested as to why you want to breed a litter of unregisterd whippet pups? :- "

Possibly for racing/coursing maybe?

Just interested :thumbsup:

:) No, it's purely because he's so wonderful that we want one of his puppies as we won't have him forever. I know all whippets are great but ours came from a dear friend in France and we are proud of his French heritage.

Also our doctor's mother has taken a real shine to him and has been asking us for a year if we have decided to mate him as she would also like one of his puppies. We put the process in motion on his 7th birthday in November and discovered all the obstacles - namely his French pedigree!

However, thank you for your interest. This is a great site. I am trying to put up a picture of Rubis but not having much luck as yet.

Cathy

cathy pownall said:
:) No, it's purely because he's so wonderful that we want one of his puppies as we won't have him forever.  I know all whippets are great but ours came from a dear friend in France and we are proud of his French heritage.  Also our doctor's mother has taken a real shine to him and has been asking us for a year if we have decided to mate him as she would also like one of his puppies.  We put the process in motion on his 7th birthday in November and discovered all the obstacles - namely his French pedigree!

However, thank you for your interest.  This is a great site.  I am trying to put up a picture of Rubis but not having much luck as yet.

Cathy

Ermm sorry to be a bit of a dampner here BUT you want to mate him to an unregistered bitch & maybe produce a litter of anything between 5-10 pups :- "

Your doctors mom wants one & you want one which is great .........BUT what happens to the rest???

They will be unregistered so not applicable for show people. But i am assuming you have other potential homes lined up?

Just a question BUT if these pups cant be homed do you have the facilities/time/room/ money to keep them?

I'm sure the answer to this is YES, that if you have maybe 8-10 pups you can keep the majority but just interested to know :thumbsup:

May seem nosey so apologise in advance but just interested in peoples theorys for breeding litters :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate your concern and agree totally. I was involved for 4 years in the local dogs' home and saw first hand the plight of unwanted dogs, particularly greyhounds and whippets. I wouldn't be party to creating a litter of unhomeable dogs.

Cathy

cathy pownall said:
I appreciate your concern and agree totally.  I was involved for 4 years in the local dogs' home and saw first hand the plight of unwanted dogs, particularly greyhounds and whippets.  I wouldn't be party to creating a litter of unhomeable dogs.

Cathy

So, i'm assuming you have lots of homes lined up apart from just yourselves & doctors mom, which is great :thumbsup:

Not always easy as there are any amount of whippet litters bred & obviously those that are KC registered tend to have the edge. :thumbsup:

WELCOME TO THE SITE :thumbsup:

i do appreciate where you are coming from but i also agree with nina .

there are too many puppies of all breeds looking for homes :(

i bred my girl last year as i wanted one for myself to keep her show lines going , the only girl in the litter i kept and although she has such a sweet nature and lovely conformation she is nothing like her mum in other ways (w00t)

i would be wary about breeding just to get one who is going to be like your boy , he was 4 when you got him , whippet puppies are so not like 4 yr old whippets :blink:

they are crazy , manic , destructive , biting whirlwinds :rant: and there is no guarentee any of them will be like there dad .

if you decide to go for it then i wish you luck :luck: im not saying dont do it , he is your dog :huggles: but please dont be dissapointed if you dont get what you want :thumbsup:

look forward to seeing photos of him .

sharon :D

cathy pownall said:
:) No, it's purely because he's so wonderful that we want one of his puppies as we won't have him forever.  I know all whippets are great but ours came from a dear friend in France and we are proud of his French heritage.  Also our doctor's mother has taken a real shine to him and has been asking us for a year if we have decided to mate him as she would also like one of his puppies.  We put the process in motion on his 7th birthday in November and discovered all the obstacles - namely his French pedigree!

However, thank you for your interest.  This is a great site.  I am trying to put up a picture of Rubis but not having much luck as yet.

Cathy

Please think carefully about buying another unrelated whippet, either adult or puppy, instead of breeding from your own dog. Then when you no longer have him you can remember your boy for the lovely boy he is, and love another dog for itself. I know that may not mean the same to you, but you will never replace your boy himself anyway and you will be risking other puppies lives unless you can find good homes for them all. That won't be easy if they are unregistered, they will baasically have no more value than crossbreds/mongrels.

Pauline

Thank you for your welcome and balanced advice.

This is something we have been considering for 3 years and talking about seriously for a year. It is only now that we are putting feelers out and testing the waters and we may not do anything for another year yet. All things would have to be considered. Please be assured that we will not rush into anything without much thought.

We have even considered going back to France where his pedigree is recognised and where he has already fathered a litter, some years ago (we have known him since he was a pup)

I managed to put a picture of Rubis as an avatar but I don't know how to put in big pictures like others have.

Cathy

cathy pownall said:
This is something we have been considering for 3 years and talking about seriously for a year.  It is only now that we are putting feelers out and testing the waters and we may not do anything for another year yet.  All things would have to be considered.  Please be assured that we will not rush into anything without much thought.

We have even considered going back to France where his pedigree is recognised and where he has already fathered a litter, some years ago (we have known him since he was a pup)

I managed to put a picture of Rubis as an avatar but I don't know how to put in big pictures like others have.

Cathy

If you want to email me a piccy i will happily try & put it up for you. Let me know & i will pm you an addy.

Good luck with whatever you decide but maybe a pup from a sibling or relative of your boy might be a another choice without risking an entire litter :huggles:

have you though about getting one of his offspring from france ? that way it saves the other pups and you still get a pup of his :D

just look on epupz , its not that i dont agree with this site TOO much , i just mean look at all the babies on there waiting for homes :(

just an idea :thumbsup:

to put photos on , i use photo bucket , upload your piks to there then copy and paste them on here .

there is a tutorial on here somewhere but im useless at links :blink:

nina said:
cathy pownall said:
This is something we have been considering for 3 years and talking about seriously for a year.  It is only now that we are putting feelers out and testing the waters and we may not do anything for another year yet.  All things would have to be considered.  Please be assured that we will not rush into anything without much thought.

Cathy

If you want to email me a piccy i will happily try & put it up for you. Let me know & i will pm you an addy.

Good luck with whatever you decide but maybe a pup from a sibling or relative of your boy might be a another choice without risking an entire litter :huggles:

GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE (w00t) WE MUST HAVE BEEN POSTING AT THE SAME TIME :b

:cheers: I have always wanted a bitch to breed my own non ped racing dog (might still do)

When my lad who is a rch/nch and scottish Champ) lined his first bitch, I was at hand to help hand rear a litter of his 7 pups :blink: This opened my eye's to rearing a litter of pups (w00t)

Not all goes to plan :( . All the pups made it and are very bonny pups :cheers:All got very good homes too :thumbsup:

My lad has lined the best in Britian non ped, and all his pups are doing well in the racing (non ped racing) as thats what they were bred to do. All are sweet natured (like dad :D )

Im not knocking you as Im a non ped whippet owner (not showing ), but breeding a litter is very hard :( , you need to get the right bitch for your boy/stud, Im saying look at his pedigree, it might be non ped breeding or kc reg, but try and get the right bitch for your lad :thumbsup:

Why line him to an un reg kc reg/ of Frech KC lass :wacko: as you would want the pups to be able to show or race under the French whippet racing/showing rules

Welcome to k9 :D We are all good whippet folk either kc racing/showing or non ped racers will offer your good or bad advice :oops: In total we all love whippets and want the best for our breed

maggie217 said:
cathy pownall said:

Cathy

Please think carefully about buying another unrelated whippet, either adult or puppy, instead of breeding from your own dog. Then when you no longer have him you can remember your boy for the lovely boy he is, and love another dog for itself. I know that may not mean the same to you, but you will never replace your boy himself anyway and you will be risking other puppies lives unless you can find good homes for them all. That won't be easy if they are unregistered, they will baasically have no more value than crossbreds/mongrels.

Pauline

I agree with most of what you have said except the bit where you say an unregistered whippet is no more value then a mongrel or crossbreed.

I have a pure bred whippet, both mum/dad are whippets, dad was registered but mother wasn't. My jack also is not KC registered, therefore non ped. I paid £200 for him and think every penny was well spent. I think unregistered whippets appeal to those owners who are not serious about ped racing/showing but want a whippet. They can still show race their dogs in non ped classes (if the fancy takes them) and sometimes these whippets can be just as sucsessful as a ped whippet. I don't think a peice of paper makes one dog better then the one without paper. :) IMO :)

sarah j said:
maggie217 said:
cathy pownall said:

Cathy

Pauline

I agree with most of what you have said except the bit where you say an unregistered whippet is no more value then a mongrel or crossbreed.

I have a pure bred whippet, both mum/dad are whippets, dad was registered but mother wasn't. My jack also is not KC registered, therefore non ped. I paid £200 for him and think every penny was well spent. I think unregistered whippets appeal to those owners who are not serious about ped racing/showing but want a whippet. They can still show race their dogs in non ped classes (if the fancy takes them) and sometimes these whippets can be just as sucsessful as a ped whippet. I don't think a peice of paper makes one dog better then the one without paper. :) IMO :)

I agree with you, my whippet isn't KC registered but I dont think that makes her any worse or better a dog than those with papers. When we got her we just wanted a family pet, no showing or racing. Personally I think she is just as beautiful as those with papers :wub: and her personality is fantastic, not a bad bone in her. I can however understand that un registered pups may be harder to find homes for if people are wanting to show and pedigree race. Since we only wanted a pet it didnt matter to us whether we had a registered or unregistered dog, I think it just depends on what people are after.

Sarah86 said:
sarah j said:
maggie217 said:
cathy pownall said:

Cathy

Pauline

I agree with you, my whippet isn't KC registered but I dont think that makes her any worse or better a dog than those with papers. When we got her we just wanted a family pet, no showing or racing. Personally I think she is just as beautiful as those with papers :wub: and her personality is fantastic, not a bad bone in her. I can however understand that un registered pups may be harder to find homes for if people are wanting to show and pedigree race. Since we only wanted a pet it didnt matter to us whether we had a registered or unregistered dog, I think it just depends on what people are after.

hi there are alot of people out their that only want pets and alot can not afford pedigree prices but may love that particular breed obviously people that dont show probally see that their dog just looks the same as the others in that breed but dogs breed to show conform to a high standard for that breed so their is a difference i own my first whippet and i have bought her to show had i have not had the help in picking one from a friend i would not of known what to look for because they all look the same to me.

hi there are alot of people out their that only want pets and alot can not afford pedigree prices but may love that particular breed obviously people that dont show probally see that their dog just looks the same as the others in that breed but dogs breed to show conform to a high standard for that breed so their is a difference i own my first whippet and i have bought her to show had i have not had the help in picking one from a friend i would not of known what to look for because they all look the same to me.

Yes, I agree with that, mine doesnt have papers, and im not an expert on the breed but I know by looking at her that she has alot of areas that don't live up to breed standard that are required for showing, but she is still beautiful :wub: don't get my wrong I have nothing aginst with dogs with papers, i love them all!!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back