The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My poor sausage

Well, I had a call from the vet earlier. It was a low grade mast cell tumour. No evidence of cancer in the margins though. So while we are really upset, we also are optimistic. What makes me a little cross though is that at his last annual check, I spoke to the vet about it and she said it probably was nothing but to keep an eye on it and see if it grew. Now, on having read more about these, there are signs that I would have thought she would pick up (given it's so common). Anyway. He is being rather spoiled now.
That is annoying, hope Timber is OK soon.

I would say likely a large. But the Amazon site did have sizing in centimeters so you have a guide. T is using his like the neck supports people use on trains and planes.

Thanks ..I'm curious is there any difference in temperament between the different coats of dachshund and the different sizes?

Thanks .

I'm curious, is there any difference in temperament between the different coats of Dachshund [types], &/ or the different sizes [of Dachsies]?

Wire-haired Dachs are typically the best hunters; they retain more of the original instinct, & a group of Wire-haired Dachs owners in the U-S does "retrieval missions" for hunters who lose the trail of their wounded deer. The hunters often giggle hysterically when the dwarves arrive, but they're much-more respectful, later. :rolleyes:

Smooth-coated Dachs are, of the 3 coats, the most-prone to bite - & they can be incredibly pugnacious when aroused. [One 30# Standard Smooth-coat Dachs attacked a postie by going thru a closed screen-door, then clung to his legs for 3 blocks as he tried to flee, savaging them so badly that the poor man can barely walk. He required multiple surgeries & several skin-grafts to close the wounds.]

Long-haired Dachs tend to be softer in temp, may be somewhat timid, & are less snappish.

NOTE:
a survey of the practicing members of the AVMA / Am. Vet-Med Assoc named Dachshunds as the #1 breed most-likely to bite, in a veterinary setting.
Personally, i lump them with terrierrrists as a group, as behaviorally they're so much alike: snappy, reactive, bite 1st & think later, often predatory, & turfy with it. // I also put Chis & Min-Pins in the 'terrierrrist' class.

- terry

Wire-haired Dachs are typically the best hunters; they retain more of the original instinct, & a group of Wire-haired Dachs owners in the U-S does "retrieval missions" for hunters who lose the trail of their wounded deer. The hunters often giggle hysterically when the dwarves arrive, but they're much-more respectful, later. :rolleyes:

Smooth-coated Dachs are, of the 3 coats, the most-prone to bite - & they can be incredibly pugnacious when aroused. [One 30# Standard Smooth-coat Dachs attacked a postie by going thru a closed screen-door, then clung to his legs for 3 blocks as he tried to flee, savaging them so badly that the poor man can barely walk. He required multiple surgeries & several skin-grafts to close the wounds.]

Long-haired Dachs tend to be softer in temp, may be somewhat timid, & are less snappish.

NOTE:
a survey of the practicing members of the AVMA / Am. Vet-Med Assoc named Dachshunds as the #1 breed most-likely to bite, in a veterinary setting.
Personally, i lump them with terrierrrists as a group, as behaviorally they're so much alike: snappy, reactive, bite 1st & think later, often predatory, & turfy with it. // I also put Chis & Min-Pins in the 'terrierrrist' class.

- terry

Thanks was just wondering. I read somewhere that chihuahua's descended from terriers or something like that so I could see how they'd have a similar temperament. It doesn't seem easy to find gentle laid back smaller breeds as there are in the larger and giant breeds.

Just came across this thread and I'm sorry to hear about Timber, i hope he's recovering well. They can be such a worry x

Thank you. I have been doing some reading and the prognosis for mast cell tumours is fairly optimistic but I am obviously still quite anxious. We see the vet on Friday to remove his stitches so hopefully she will reassure us.

I read somewhere that Chihuahuas descended from terriers, or something like that - so I could see how they'd have a similar temperament.

It doesn't seem easy to find gentle, laid-back smaller breeds, as there are in the larger and giant breeds.

that's confusing - Chis are a native breed, as in literally created by a Central American indigenous tribe, while most classic terrierrrists are British. :confused: How did terriers of any breed get from Britain to the state of Chihuahua in old Mexico in the 1500s or 1600s, in time to be "discovered" by the invading Spanish?!

Chis' parent-breed, the Techichi of the Toltec tribes, weighed 10 to 20#; records of Techichi extend into the 9th-century C.E. [800 to 900-C.E], while some pre-Columbian pottery believed to show Techichis has been dated to 300-B.C.

Chihuahua (dog) - Wikipedia

Chis can be any color, & re structure & skull, i personally i prefer the old-fashioned deer head type, not the currently-popular [& spozedly 'correct type'] apple heads.
As for PATTERN, both brindle & merle are recent additions to piebald / skewbald, B&T / L&T / blue & tan, tricolor, sable, & a wide range of solids & shaded or grizzled, from white or cream to black. // Merle was originally banned from the AKC show-ring & could not be registered, either, as it's an obvious result of outcrossing to other breeds - but money talks in the dog-fancy, & altho the Canadian KC, FCI, U-K KC, & other responsible registries will not register merle Chis or permit them in the breed-ring, the U-S breed club decided, in its infinite wisdom, to allow merle. o_O What can i say? -
it's a health issue, it arose from unadmitted but undeniable outcrossing, & now it's rewarded. :mad:
Brindle is very rare, but accepted as a color.

- terry

Last edited:
We'll see the vet on Friday to remove his stitches, so hopefully she will reassure us.

if the vet got good margins & there's no sign currently of metastasized tumors elsewhere, i'd be optimistic.
Was his tumor graded, & was it well-differentiated? -- grade 1 is unlikely to pop up elsewhere, grade 2 may spread locally, & grade 3 can appear in distant loci from the original site/s.

Mast Cell Tumor (Mastocytoma) in Dogs | petMD

- terry

that's confusing - Chis are a native breed, as in literally created by a Central American indigenous tribe, while most classic terrierrrists are British. :confused: How did terriers of any breed get from Britain to the state of Chihuahua in old Mexico in the 1500s or 1600s, in time to be "discovered" by the invading Spanish?!

Chis' parent-breed, the Techichi of the Toltec tribes, weighed 10 to 20#; records of Techichi extend into the 9th-century C.E. [800 to 900-C.E], while some pre-Columbian pottery believed to show Techichis has been dated to 300-B.C.

Chihuahua (dog) - Wikipedia

Chis can be any color, & re structure & skull, i personally i prefer the old-fashioned deer head type, not the currently-popular [& spozedly 'correct type'] apple heads.
As for PATTERN, both brindle & merle are recent additions to piebald / skewbald, B&T / L&T / blue & tan, tricolor, sable, & a wide range of solids & shaded or grizzled, from white or cream to black. // Merle was originally banned from the AKC show-ring & could not be registered, either, as it's an obvious result of outcrossing to other breeds - but money talks in the dog-fancy, & altho the Canadian KC, FCI, U-K KC, & other responsible registries will not register merle Chis or permit them in the breed-ring, the U-S breed club decided, in its infinite wisdom, to allow merle. o_O What can i say? -
it's a health issue, it arose from unadmitted but undeniable outcrossing, & now it's rewarded. :mad:
Brindle is very rare, but accepted as a color.

- terry

I found this:

"Chihuahuas are terrier-like, perhaps because they were stray dogs of terrier ancestry living in Northern Mexico, and when they were imported to England, they were probably bred with the toy white terrier and the toy Manchester terrier. That would give them a really strong terrier-like temperament"

"The Chihuahua dog has a similar dubious origins story. Supposedly this breed originated in Mexico as one of the Toltecs’ sacred animals. It is supposedly a Native American dog, like the extinct Tahltan Bear Dog (which did look like a big Chihuahua). And the Pre-Columbian indigenous peoples of the Americas were major dog breeders, breeding all sorts of hairless dogs, wool dogs, and various types of dogs that could be either eaten or as beasts of burden. The Aztecs did have a little dog, called a Techichi, but analysis of the Chihuahua’s DNA suggests that it is of Old World origin, perhaps derived from some European toy dogs and maybe some toy terriers with apple heads. Again, the original story has not yet been disproven, because the DNA analysis looked at only mitochondrial DNA, which only is inherited through the mother. So the fathers of the Chihuahua could have been the Techichi"

A Crazy Theory on Chihuahua Origins

I'm not saying that the original Chi was not outcrossed to small terriers - but it couldn't have occurred B4 the Spanish conquest; also, terriers as breeds didn't exist before the Edwardian era, & weren't listed in a registry as "pedigreed" or purebred until the Victorian age. // That leaves us with a massive gap in time from the arrival of Spanish invaders, whose dogs were war-dogs of mastiff type, not lap-dogs of toy-size, until "breeds" began to be formalized in the 1800s.

Outcrosses of Chis to the "toy Manchester Terrier" or "toy White Terrier" would not have been RETURNED to rural Mexico from then-Great Britain, would they? o_O
Who would import a stray toy-dog from rural Mexico, mate that stray with a local purebred, & ship their progeny back to turn them loose in the state of Chihuahua, to forage amid huge rancheros & scattered villages in a near-medieval or feudal society? --- And Why would anyone do that?

How many "apple-headed small terriers" do U really think would survive as stray dogs in the deserts of inland Mexico, surviving among venomous snakes big-enuf to eat them whole, coyote, large raptors, bobcat, & other predators? :skep: Presumably they all weigh less than 20# / 9-kg, & that would be a very vulnerable size to be roaming the wastelands around scattered rural villages, whose residents would not look favorably on any animal that would eat young chickens or poultry eggs, given the chance, & would perforce be SCAVENGING on the castoffs of humans: bones, garbage, eating human-feces in villages without cess-pits, & so on.

There wasn't a whole lot of "trash" as we know it, prior to WW-2; synthetics had barely-begun to be made in the 1930s, plastics were in their infancy, everything that was no longer useful was either recyclable [steel, aluminum, cast iron...] or burned as fuel. // A broken chair that couldn't be mended was fuel for the fire. :shrug: Trimmings of meat, bones, skin, fruit peel, etc, were soup, stock, or feed for poultry or pigs.
Scavenging strays in the 1600s thru the 1800s would quickly starve to death, as "trashcans" were nonexistent; so were the now-ubiquitous Dumpsters that provide dining for so many urban animals, now. Each household generated & consumed its own "trash"; leftovers were fed to their own pets & livestock, composted for gardens & fields, or used as fuel to burn.

There's a reason that the worldwide stray / feral-type pariah dog averages 35 to 40# as adults - that's too big for smaller predators, such as broad-winged hawks or large owls, & it's just big-enuf to be a harder target for the mid-size ones, such as bobcat, coyote, jackal, Asian & African wolves, etc; at the same time, it's not a sufficiently-large meal for the biggest predators - why would a grizzly want to take a 40# dog, when an ungulate calf is much-easier prey, & provides 100# or more of meat?

the breeds known today as "toy Manchester Terrier" & the now-extinct "toy White terrier" did not exist as breeds until at least the Edwardian era, & weren't registered with formal pedigrees until the Victorian period. // No one in Britain during that period would enthusiastically cross a painstakingly-created purebred dog with a worthless Mexican stray of unknown parentage; look up "eugenics", which was a worldwide movement that held as gospel the idea that better animals & better humans could be created only by strict culling.
It was the bastard-child of Darwin's evolutionary theory, in which Man plays either God or Nature, depending upon whether U believed in an omnipotent creator or eons of blind chance; eugenics began as soon as Darwin's 'Origin' was published, was born as a word & spread rapidly thru the 1860s, & was a global meme & popular movement by 1900; it culminated in the great wave of genocide, throughout the 1920s, '30s, & '40s.

Post Darwin: social Darwinism, degeneration, eugenics - The British ...
https://www.bl.uk/...victorians/.../post-darwin-social-darwinism-degeneration-eugenics
QUOTE,
"Darwin's cousin, Francis Galton, began to study eminent families in the 1860s, arguing in Hereditary Genius (1869) that mental and physical ability – and even morality – is inherited. ... Rational selection was central to what Galton termed the new science of 'eugenics', a term that means 'well born'."

QUOTE,
"Advocates of eugenics made significant advances during the Edwardian period. In 1907, the Eugenics Education Society was founded in Britain to campaign for sterilisation and marriage restrictions for the weak, to prevent the degeneration of Britain's population."
source:
The eugenics movement Britain wants to forget - New Statesman
pub'd Dec 9, 2010

The eugenics movement Britain wants to forget

There's a reason that the native dogs over most of the world during the great invade-&-colonize period are extinct - the invaders didn't think they were worth perpetuating, & the native ppl lacked the resources to keep their breeds or landraces alive.
The poi-dog of Hawai'i, the native ridgeback of then-Rhodesia, the many breeds of lap-dogs & hunters in Central & South America, the travois-dogs of hundreds of Amerind tribes, sled-dogs of the Inuits... a fraction of a fraction of a fraction survived into the modern era. // The others were wiped-out, either drowned by interbreeding with the invaders' dogs, or simply exterminated.

Chihuahuas have one advantage - they're tiny, & they eat very little. Even a desperately-poor rural family can feed a 5 to 10# dog, & insects such as locusts (cicadas) & grasshoppers are high-protein meals for a tiny omnivore. // The small coyotes of the southwestern-US, who resemble a fox on stilts, think grasshoppers are a delicacy.
The large "coyotes" of New England & the Middle Atlantic, a very-modern creation that's filled the hole left by the eradication of cougar, lynx, wolves, & other large predators in the eastern U-S, would starve to death on grasshoppers & lizards. Their smaller predecessor in the arid Southwest thrives on them, when times are tough & jackrabbits, pocket-gophers, & deer-mice are few.

- terry

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back