The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My puppy St Bernard Walking Isssues

KatieB44

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all,

Just really need some advice. We have a 21 weeks old St Bernard, she is beautiful and hard work (!). We are still trying to stop biting but my main issue is she doesn’t want to walk.. everyone thinks it’s so funny when they see her sitting down but it’s hard work. I’ve tried walking near a road, walking in the middle of nowhere, with dogs around, with dogs not around.
She doesn’t like it when people try to stroke her but we are slowly getting better. But even when no one is around she doesn’t want to walk. She just sits down, literally outside the house, I also have taken her in the car to fields. And keeps looking back at my car. And will not move. I’ve tried treats, balls, games. When I give up and walk back to the house/car she runs back dragging me along running so fast back to the house/car. But as soon as we are home she runs round with loads of energy.
I really don’t know what more I can do.

Thank you for any suggestions

The outside can be quite overwhelming for puppies (even big ones). To build her confidence slowly, and at her pace, can you try sitting at the front of your house for a few days, just to let her observe from a safe place. Then, depending on the layout of your home, take her a few paces and immediately let her go back. When she sees she won't be forced to confront situations she finds scary, her confidence should start to develop. Keep gradually increasing the distance, but don't look on it as a walk - at this stage it's a training exercise.

And if she doesn't like people petting her, politely and firmly tell them not to. It is hard with a cute puppy but imagine what it is like for her - strangers touching her without her consent. We actually teach our children that is unacceptable so act like it is the same for her.

Again, when she learns you will stop this happening it will help her feel more confident as well as reaffirming that you have her back.

You could also try tempting her to go into garden by leaving trail of irresistible treats, slightly hidden and see if this tempts her to come out to sniff them out. You don't have to make a big deal about it..no fuss! Just place few of these treat inside the house, couple of meters apart and then one just behind the doorframe leading to the garden and so on. Let her discover them in her own time and see how much she dares. Maybe repeating this over few days in a hope that each time it will take her few more steps further, until going to garden is not a big deal anymore. Her confidence may grow as she gets braver ;) And after that you may start some other form of lure 'game' to get her even further into great outdoors.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back