The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Need Advise Broken Dew Claw

stark

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi , our bitch sophie yesterday broke her dew claw , the break is close to the top where it goes into her leg , it now sticks out at a right angle and she licks it constantly ..

will it heal itself or will it need attention from the vets ?

any info will be much appreciated .

thanks

My old bitch years ago did this, and operation soon followed to have them both removed Im afraid. Has it stopped bleeding ?? as they usually take ages.

Other people on here may offer you some other advice too, but my other dogs had their dew claws removed soon after birth so no problems.

it may be an idea to get it removed :( it would heal, but if the angle is that extreme, she will be catching it constantly, possibly rebreaking it over and over. better to have it done before another accident happens :(

:luck: :luck:

Hi John

A lot depends if it's just the dew claw thats broke or if the bone inside has also broke? if it's sticking out to the side then theres a good chance it's the bone thats also broke so it may be worth nipping her to the vets to have it checked.

if it's just the dew claw have it cut right back to the leg then when it re grows it should (in theory) grow straight.

good luck.

I have recently got a puppy bitch and when i asked the breeder about her dew-claw's he said they have them removed when they are 3 days old to stop like what has happened to yours from happening,My father-in-law's dog went to see the vet about having his done and was quoted £50.00 per dew-claw to be removed.

I hope yours gets sorted out and it might well be worth a visit to the vets to be on the safe side. :luck:

it seems not to be sticking out now ,it only bled initially for about 10 min , so we have now strapped it up with vet wrap , and i think we will see how it goes shes walking on it ok , with it seems no pain . :(

thanks mark , it looks as though its just the nail i think it looked at lot worse than it was .

They always look worse than they are cos they bleed so much.

hope things work out for the best mate, see you Sunday if you make it to the Game fair. (we'll have a drink)

We had a whippet cross who had dew claws, she would break them every now and again, but we just strapped them and they would be fine very quickly so no vets fees. So you should be fine I reckon. :))

thanks all :thumbsup: will keep you posted

yes we will be there mark, and il hold you to that drink :clown:

I DON'T KNOW WHY BREEDERS DON'T REMOVE DEWCLAWS AT 2-3 DAYS OF AGE.

It stops these avoidable injuries and considerable pain to the dog. Dewclaws are of no use to a whippet what so ever.

I am the breeder of goodasgold's puppy and i consider it very important to be honest with the people who bought my pups. I told Dean & Dawn that a whippet is not worth buying if it has dewclaws. I've seen some horific injuries caused by dewclaws being ripped off and it's not at all pleasent.

If i was you stark i'd get her booked in and get them took off. Otherwise keep her on the lead unless you want more injuries.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back