The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Need Help With My Border

ihatemanu

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
This might sound stupid :b but my Border, being the first terrier I have eva had, has a really smelly coat :oops: ...is this normal or not? and if not any1 got any suggestions?

Tried bathing but one day later he starts to smell again!! :oops: :oops: :x

When i first had my Border terrier, he also had a very smelly coat - he absolutely stank, and kept getting very greasy. He was entire when we got him, and a flippin houdini!

We had him neutered, and that went a long way in reducing the stench! However, he is still smellier than my other dogs of different breeds.

Perhaps a Boder terrier expert can shed some light on the situation? :thumbsup:

Greeneyes said:
When i first had my Border terrier, he also had a very smelly coat - he absolutely stank, and kept getting very greasy.  He was entire when we got him, and a flippin houdini! We had him neutered, and that went a long way in reducing the stench!  However, he is still smellier than my other dogs of different breeds.

Perhaps a Boder terrier expert can shed some light on the situation? :thumbsup:

Thx mate :cheers:

I have a friend who has one, I'll probably see her on Monday and will ask for you. He's just over a year old. Lovely lad, and I don't recall him ever being smelly, but my friend might know something about it... :))

~ Helen ~ said:
I have a friend who has one, I'll probably see her on Monday and will ask for you. He's just over a year old. Lovely lad, and I don't recall him ever being smelly, but my friend might know something about it... :))
Thx a lot it would really help...i've never known a dog like him for his greasy coat...he's just about 9mths old if that's any help

I gotta 8 month old bitch she stinks no two ways about it. Will smell 4eva.

Yep, our stinks too :D In fact his nickname is 'Stinky Monkey'. Thats the joy of a dog with a thick waxy jacket I am afraid!

Thanks every1 you been really helpful...gutted there isn't anything i can do though...

:- " you could buy doggy deodorant :lol: :lol:

sorry im no help but know some people with borders - if I see them Ill ask too. :thumbsup:

Janimal said:
:- "  you could buy doggy deodorant  :lol:   :lol:
sorry im no help but know some people with borders - if I see them Ill ask too. :thumbsup:

Thx Janimal...rofl about doggy deodrant...where u get it from?? (w00t) :lol: :lol: :cheers:

lol .................I quite like Borders, apart from the smell!!!!! All the ones I have known have had that kinda greasy fausty smell. :nuke:

Try evening primrose oil in his dinner - this helps to keep the skin in optimum condition, and so might reduce smells.

Hi,

I have a customer that buys a product called silver satin from me. Her dog had an awful coat not in good condition and smelt like wet cardboard/musky smell. She is still buying it and tellls me its working. I also think food has a lot to do with it.. what are you feeding?

Pauline

www.northolm.co.uk

Feeding him Pedigree Healthy Appetites I put in small amount of Vegetable Oil to keep their coats shiny and it works on my Spaniel, Whippet and German Shepherd and on my Border too but the smell is still there...A little while ago i considered taking him to the vets but i don't know...what do you think??

No amount of washing or changing what you feed will alter the Borders smell, it is because he has a waterproof coat and therefore produces a lot of waxy/oil.

Its just a feature of the breed, washing him once a week will stop him/her becoming too 'tangy' but the underlying smell will always be there - sorry, you'll just have to learn to love it, its part of a Borders very unique personality.

~JO~ said:
No amount of washing or changing what you feed will alter the Borders smell, it is because he has a waterproof coat and therefore produces a lot of waxy/oil. 
Its just a feature of the breed, washing him once a week will stop him/her becoming too 'tangy' but the underlying smell will always be there - sorry, you'll just have to learn to love it, its part of a Borders very unique personality.

Lol i'm not really bothered :D about it but my mum is :wacko: ....she said to ask on here if it is normal so thanks anyway every1... :D :cheers:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back