The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Need Your Help Very Urgent!!!!!!

kim & Tilly

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
On Sunday 30th July while i was at racing with my daughter, my son went banger racing with his dad.

At 4.30 he was bitten by a dog and was taken to Weston-Super-mare General hosp, by his dad (St Johns Ambulance wouldn’t take him) He has a bite taken out of his cheek, about the size of the top of your thumb.

The incident happened in a public area, an authorised vehicle was parked by the toilets and tied to it was a dog, Sam has gone over stroked the dog and he has jumped up and bitten him.

His dad didn’t see it happen, but it was only a few feet away from him, sam ran to the St Johns ambulance and told them to get his dad, which they did, his dad said the St Johns ambulance saw the dog there, but when his dad went back to see it, it was gone…..

He got the reg of the van and we have rang the organisers and they know the dog and the owner….

Sam was in surgery last night, and the police came to see his dad today but they didn’t take a statement and it doesn’t look like they are going to do anything…..they said as Sam approached the dog it his fault, pretty much

What the hell can I do??? What are our rights??? Can I have the dog PTS???

1.JPG

Oh my God that is terrible. Surely with an injury like that the police MUST do something about it. :luck: Good Luck Sam, I hope you feel better very soon.

Oh my god that looks awful (there isn't a smiley to express my shock). Poor Sam, that must be very painful, it must have been such a shock and so upsetting for him too.

I'm sorry but I don't know your rights as far as this is concerned. They do always say that you should never approach a dog which you don't know, but equally, its owner shouldn't have left a dog tied up if it has aggressive tendancies. I don't personally think you should leave any dog tied up on its own, aggressive or not, because if the dog does feel threatened by someone (even though you know your son meant no harm) and they know they can't run away, then they may attack.

Poor Sam, I do hope that he gets better soon and that it doesn't put him off dogs for life :(

OMG how very very very scary, that looks absolutely horrific, your poor son :( . Wish I could help, but I don't know the law on this, but I can't imagine that by approaching the dog your son waived his right to protection by the law, and as the dog clearly is dangerous something should be done.

PICT0203.JPG

This is the repair job, its quite good but he will always have a scar...

The dog was tied up to a van on its own, right by the toilets.

There was a lenght of rope then a lead, any small child person could have walked passed and been bitten, Sam just smoothed it and it went for him :(

Luckly he still likes our dogs and is cuddled up to bean, or i would have had to rehome them...i think he realises that they are ok...

He has been the bravest boy ever o:) even when they were trying to get a line in, they had to try both arms and they he had to have gass to put him to sleep.....

Surely there has to be something that can be done about this incident :eek: :eek:

It is hardly a small scratch!!

Have you tried speaking with the RSPCA? Surely they have the authority to take this further? I mean at least see that the dog is muzzled in future.....though personally I would push for the animal to be PTS as I feel this is a dangerous dog!! :angry:

I wish your son all the very best and hope he has a speedy recovery and that he is'nt left with much of a scar.And I also send my best to you and your husband as you must both be frantic. :huggles:

oh gods love thats terrible!! your poor son!

im sorry but all i can offer is contact the dog warden and see if they have more powers to seize the dog than the police, or at least they would be aware of the dog for future problems.

Kim that is terrible, i feel so sorry for poor Sam. :(

I'll tell you what i think as a police officer. Please remember, i am a mum to a little boy too and would be absolutely devestated if this happened to my Conor. However, there probably isn't a great deal the police can do.

The normal offence of somebody getting bitten by a dog in a public place is "Having a Dog Dangerously out of Control in a Public Place". However, in the circumstances you describe the dog was not out of control, it was tied up securely. If it had slipped it's collar and bitten Sam it would be a different matter. however, Sam approached the dog.

If i was sent to this job i would speak to the dog owner and advise them. However, as far as a prosecution is concerned, you wouldn't get one.

Feel free to pm me if you need any further advice. I reiterate the fact that i am a mum first, then a police officer, but i am only telling you the law as it stands. It might not be right, but that's what it is. Remember police officer only enforce the laws, we don't make them.

Sorry to see this.For what it`s worth,i got bit in the face too when i was about his age,the dog was in my back garden and i approached him,put my face near his and he bit my cheek just under my eye.It was nowere near as serious as Sams,few butterfly stitches but still frightening for me.My Dad went round to tell the owners and to warn them he was a dangour,which resulted in them getting him put down on their own accord,although we never asked that.That was their choice.Maybe if the owners of this dog find out somehow,they will do the same,as he is a dangour and may do it again.Hope this helps and hope he recovers soon..

jok said:
I'll tell you what i think as a police officer.  Please remember, i am a mum to a little boy too and would be absolutely devestated if this happened to my Conor.  However, there probably isn't a great deal the police can do.

The normal offence of somebody getting bitten by a dog in a public place is "Having a Dog Dangerously out of Control in a Public Place".  However, in the circumstances you describe the dog was not out of control, it was tied up securely.  If it had slipped it's collar and bitten Sam it would be a different matter.  however, Sam approached the dog. 

If i was sent to this job i would speak to the dog owner and advise them.  However, as far as a prosecution is concerned, you wouldn't get one. 

Feel free to pm me if you need any further advice.  I reiterate the fact that i am a mum first, then a police officer, but i am only telling you the law as it stands.  It might not be right, but that's what it is.  Remember police officer only enforce the laws, we don't make them.

i work with the police as well, so i know they have laws to stick with, but im wondering if there is any other way, private prosicution or something, as it was very close to the toilets and a tractor which all the kids play on....i will try the public liability insurance of the organisers as the person who owns the dog works for them...

Kim and Tilly said:
jok said:
I'll tell you what i think as a police officer.  Please remember, i am a mum to a little boy too and would be absolutely devestated if this happened to my Conor.  However, there probably isn't a great deal the police can do.

The normal offence of somebody getting bitten by a dog in a public place is "Having a Dog Dangerously out of Control in a Public Place".  However, in the circumstances you describe the dog was not out of control, it was tied up securely.  If it had slipped it's collar and bitten Sam it would be a different matter.  however, Sam approached the dog. 

If i was sent to this job i would speak to the dog owner and advise them.  However, as far as a prosecution is concerned, you wouldn't get one. 

Feel free to pm me if you need any further advice.  I reiterate the fact that i am a mum first, then a police officer, but i am only telling you the law as it stands.  It might not be right, but that's what it is.  Remember police officer only enforce the laws, we don't make them.

i work with the police as well, so i know they have laws to stick with, but im wondering if there is any other way, private prosicution or something, as it was very close to the toilets and a tractor which all the kids play on....i will try the public liability insurance of the organisers as the person who owns the dog works for them...

Absolutely. You are completely within your rights to seek civil proceedings. A solicitor would be able to help. I would also make a 'no win, no fee' claim for compensation.

jok said:
Kim and Tilly said:
jok said:

Absolutely. You are completely within your rights to seek civil proceedings. A solicitor would be able to help. I would also make a 'no win, no fee' claim for compensation.

can anyone recomend one??? i feel he deserves something for the pain and scar he will have for the rest of his life..

I also think the organisers should ban all dogs from attending the event......why would you take a dog to watch banger racing ?

Hi,

Just my thoughts.

Send the photo of the bite to the local news paper and T.V. station. Then see what the reaction is.!!!!!

I am mortified that the law can do nothing. If you were in Australia the dog would be dead by now.

Jill

My god Kim, that is horrendous .... I do hope your son is ok and not scarred for life.

I do hope that by seeing a solicitor - he can tell you your rights... I am sure there must be something you can do - that dog certainly wants putting down - and surely the owners will see that too. Take the story to a newspaper or local radio - Im sure someone will help and advise you.

Can I just add he is one very very brave boy. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my god!! Poor Sam...hope he feels better soon & gets over this shock.

Don't you just wish people would be more responcible with their dogs...these people must be totally brainless.

oakway said:
Hi,Just my thoughts.

Send the photo of the bite to the local news paper and T.V. station.  Then see what the reaction is.!!!!!

I am mortified that the law can do nothing.  If you were in Australia the dog would be dead by now.

Jill

This is exactly just what I have come back on to say!!

Go to the paper with this one!!

Im so sorry for your son. Hes injuries look horrific, i wasnt prepared for the photo, i was in total shock to it.

If i was you i'd would def go to a solicitor.

Best of luck to you all...

:huggles: to the brave little lad...

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back