The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New 'member'

Morning all,

I realised it's been a few days since my last update so here we are!

I'm still setting an alarm, but Skye is sleeping much longer now, she's going down at around 10pm, my alarm is set for 12:30am, she goes out and settles back off within around 5-10 mins. She then stays off until 6:45-7am when I get up. I have noticed that she's not always up at 12:30 when I go in to her so I might start sending that a bit later if I can.

She is incredibly cute, I love those giant Weimaraner ears!! Big, soft and very stroke-able!:D

Sporting Lucas are grand little dogs! Do you work yours?

Morning all,

I've just realised it's been an age since I did an update and provided some feedback.

Skye is now sleeping through without crying. I put her down at about 9:30-10 and she wakes when I do in the morning anywhere between us 6 and 7.. She's had (maybe) one accident in the house in the last couple of weeks, and regularly goes to the back door and lets us know when she needs to go out.

She's doing well in all other areas, and has her second lot of injections today, so it can be walkies time after that... even if it is only 10-15mins!

The only area which I'm trying to get her away from at the minute is biting! she's a real nipper! there was once a time where she would come for a fuss, or to lye with you on the floor, now it's just constant biting! I know it's (fairly) normal to be biting, and we've tried various methods (saying no, doing a yelp, putting her outside as soon a she does it) but nothing seems to work! she will actively avoid the chew toy to grab my hand at this point :eek:

She's doing well - are you back in your own bed now?

As for the biting, yelping or saying no never worked for me. Have a read of this post, but do ask if you have more questions: Puppy biting

She's doing well - are you back in your own bed now?

As for the biting, yelping or saying no never worked for me. Have a read of this post, but do ask if you have more questions: Puppy biting
Thanks Judy! I am indeed back in my bed. I sometimes wake and find myself checking the camera, i put in the kitchen, on my phone, but Skye is always flat out haha. I just can’t help it!

I’ll have a good read of that thank you

Morning all,

quick update time! some good things... some not so good things.

Skye is generally sleeping through now, 10pm-6am with no need to go out and no mess in the crate.

the biting is still on going but she's definitely getting better when told "no".

She's now able to go out for a walk, so she's having 5-10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes at night. She's really good on her lead but she's terrified of cars!

Earlier in the week, she had a morning full of diarrhoea and wasn't eating her food... by the afternoon she was back to normal and we put it down to just an upset tummy.. three days later (yesterday), she was being sick all morning, looked really quite sorry for herself and wouldn't touch her food, then at around 6pm last night she really perked up and ate all her food but at about 8pm she looked like she was struggling to poop, then had a bit more diarrhoea but seemed fine in herself. This morning when I came down to her, she was absolutely full of energy and happy and really excited whilst I was getting her food ready but as I placed it down she had a quick sniff of it and walked off to her bed. She then came back and ate half of it.. went out for a wee, then came back and ate about half of the half remaining.

I've called the vets and they don't seem to be too concerned, more of a.. as long as she's drinking and eating bits it could just be an upset tummy, but if she carries on today I've got a "placeholder" appointment for the morning.

Ah, the poor girly - I hope she gets better very soon.

Is there somewhere you can 'hang out' with her a comfortable distance from a road, and give her a treat every time a car goes past?

Ah, the poor girly - I hope she gets better very soon.

Is there somewhere you can 'hang out' with her a comfortable distance from a road, and give her a treat every time a car goes past?
Thanks Judy, she’s since had more diarrhoea but it’s almost the colour of beetroot! So I’ve rang the vets and they’re going to see her tonight.

RE the cars, it’s fairly quiet where we are so when a car comes along I try to calm her and treat her but she’s very wary

Morning all,

I visited the vets yesterday he seemed to think it was either worms or a parasite. Skye was wormed a week and a half ago but he thought she might need a slightly stronger wormer, so she's had that. She ate her food well last night and seems to be fine this morning too, so fingers crossed that she's on the mend!

She went for a little walk last night and although still wary of cars she was much, much better. She used to try and run the opposite way, now she comes to me and sits, but looks very wary. I just keep re-assuring her and giving her a treat and she moves on as soon as it's starting to move by.

As well as what you are doing now, let her watch traffic from a further distance. It's great that she's looking to you for support, but to change fearfulness, distance is essential. If you were scared of, say, spiders, you'd be a lot more scared of one beside you than one at the far end of the room.

If you get down to dog level and see things from your dog's perspective, you will have a better idea of how things seem to dogs. :)

As well as what you are doing now, let her watch traffic from a further distance. It's great that she's looking to you for support, but to change fearfulness, distance is essential. If you were scared of, say, spiders, you'd be a lot more scared of one beside you than one at the far end of the room.

If you get down to dog level and see things from your dog's perspective, you will have a better idea of how things seem to dogs. :)

good shout there @Hemlock I'll try and see if I can think of somewhere quite quiet where I can stand a bit back from the road. We live on a private road with only 4 houses and fields, so it's a little hard but when we get on to the main estate there are side roads which could be good. I could perhaps stand on a side road to the "main" through route and wait for a car to come.

A other quick update from me here...

Skye has now, seemingly, fully recovered and is back to her usual self!

She's got much, much better with cars whilst she's out working and almost just wanders past without taking any notice.

She's also got to interact with a few more local dogs, which she's taking to really well.

Whilst I'm thinking about it too.. can anyone recommend a good food to transfer to? Skye currently has wainwrights Salmon and Potato, but she's definitely not as keen on it now as she was before.. often not eating all her meals, whereas I can certainly tell she's hungry.

I did wonder about adding a bit of rice with it, or maybe mixing some tuna water or something in there, but I don't want to start on something I'm not keen on continuing with long term. I'd much prefer to find a good quality food alternative.

It's worth noting as well, I've caught her eating her own poop on a few occasions. I'm assuming this is for nutritional purposes rather than attention as the times she's done it is when I've left her outside alone for her to toilet.

We use Platinum, excellent service and Timber loves it.

PLATINUM - PLATINUM Dry Food

But take a look at www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk It is an independent dog food comparison website which scores all types of foods (dry, raw, wet) out of 100. You can set filters for your dog's breed, weight, age etc. and for your daily budget; then you can add in any specific needs you have such as aiming for weight loss or avoiding specific ingredients. The website will automatically show the foods listed in order of what the assessors believe is best quality, and it also will show daily feeding cost (calculated from your dog's age and weight) so you can see what gives you best value for money. It has its limitations but it's a decent place to start.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back