The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New Puppy Help. Bizarre Toileting Issue

burnzy378

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi All.

This is my first post on the forum, and im hoping someone can reassure me some what as i cant find anything on this.

We picked up a gorgeous red working cocker spaniel puppy on the 16/12. She is healthy, happy, energetic little thing (10 weeks old)

I know puppies pee alot, but we noticed quite quickly she was peeing ALOT! Squatting 7 or 8 times and just drops coming out. Sometimes yellow, sometimes completely clear. We decided it was a little unusual, and we suspected a UTI picked up in the welping pen.

To cut long story short. I took her to the vets, we have had urine tested and she was showing small amounts of blood (not visible by eye) white blood cells, and some crystals. We left with metacam and some wipes for her parts to keep her clean.

We then took another fresh sample for testing and culture, it came back after a few days as no signs of infection, but still some crystals.

We then had her bladder scanned and it showed nothing, no stones, no sediment just normal.

They want another sample in 7 days, and to keep her hydrated.

Im baffled, she is absolutely fine in her self, playing, jumping around, and i hear some crystals are normal in puppies as long as no symptoms. And apparently they cause white blood cells and blood, and UTI can cause crystals. So its a bit of a weird one, her wee smelt of ammonia, in the early days, so i think she maybe had an infection and worked it through on her own. Anyway £500 down and we have no answers

but, to complicate things, we have worked out that when she needs a poo she seems to be really worried about it and tends to squat for wees maybe 7-10 times before finally doing a poo (to much praise and a treat) i also dont think the weather has helped as the garden is big, loud, windy, wet and she is obsessed with chasing leaves, picking up sticks, stones, chewing things. Although she happily pees outside, Pooing must be daunting for her and twigs are way better

So, to wrap up, has anyone ever heard of this before? My wife said maybe she feels the pressure of needing a poo and as it causes her some worry she cant tell the difference and just tries to wee loads instead, until finally she’ll poo (after 30/40 mins of running around sniffing, wee squatting)

i know its still early days in terms of toilet training, but this multiple weeing thing before poos is really odd, i cant find anything online about it.

please note. she is approx 11 weeks; she can hold her bladder all night, and her wees are getting bigger. But never empties her bladder in one, its always 2 sometimes 3 wees. But if she needs a poo its multiple attempts at weeing.

many thanks, and sorry if that does not make much sense, tried to explain as best as i can.

kind regards
Louis

That's all totally normal, and kudos to you and your wife for your concerns and for doing everything right. The vet trip, though expensive, was necessary, and I suspect you are quite correct about there having been a small infection from the puppy pen.
Puppy is very young and still working out her bodily signals. It comes quickly to some but later to others. Some spaniels in particular can be excitement-wee-ers, some (sorry) all their lives, others grow out of it. Important not to get her spayed too young as that can predispose her to a level of incontinence - wait until the second season if you can.

Are you still in touch with her breeder? Good ones can offer sensible advice, and are very happy to help.

That's all totally normal, and kudos to you and your wife for your concerns and for doing everything right. The vet trip, though expensive, was necessary, and I suspect you are quite correct about there having been a small infection from the puppy pen.
Puppy is very young and still working out her bodily signals. It comes quickly to some but later to others. Some spaniels in particular can be excitement-wee-ers, some (sorry) all their lives, others grow out of it. Important not to get her spayed too young as that can predispose her to a level of incontinence - wait until the second season if you can.

Are you still in touch with her breeder? Good ones can offer sensible advice, and are very happy to help.

Thanks so much for the reassuring reply, yeah our older spaniel has been an exciter wee’er all her life.

thanks so much for reply, and yes breeder has been great.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back