The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

new-to-me book: "Decoding Your Dog", 2014, from the Assoc of Vet Behaviorists

leashedForLife

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register

I received an e-mail from Tufts Univ / "Ur Dog", a newsletter i subscribe to, touting this book, but having not heard of it, i went hunting for more info. [Also, Tufts sells it for $15.95-USA, & i'm pretty sure that's awfully expensive.]

I found a wonderful review from the ever-helpful Trish McConnell - plus comments below from trainers & dog-owners who'd bought & read it.

Decoding Your Dog: A Book Review

It sounds as if it's very good for novice owners or anyone with a tendency to think Dumbinance is the source of all "bad" behavior, but it's very unfortunate that the reader is brow-beaten in an attempt to convince them that ONLY vet-behaviorists can help them with any problem behaviors. :rolleyes:
I'm the 1st to recommend that an owner consult a Board-certified DVM-behaviorist when there are serious issues that an experienced trainer or a CAAB cannot conceivably handle, especially those that often require Rx-meds & careful supervision, in addition to B-Mod - but heck, U don't need a vet-behaviorist for a garden-variety nuisance barker, resource guarder, or every submissive-urination case! - that's just daft.

Also, there ARE vet-behaviorists who do things i find highly questionable, altho thankfully they are very very few - but there are also very few vet-behaviorists, total, in the entire USA - i think it's something around 60, & it's very worrying to think that out of those few persons, some are still stuck on punishment, 'dominance' as the answer to Everything, & aversive tools. :(
Of all ppl, i expect a diplomate of the AVBC to know better, *and* to do better, both.

I don't think vet-behaviorists are "super-heroes", as they are characterized in the book, nor do i think that "only vets should deal with behavior problems". // There's been a move afoot to pass legislation that would ban anyone not a DVM from working with problem dogs [or cats, horses, parrots...], & i think that's ludicrous.
The average GP-vet never takes a behavior course, & their only knowledge of species-normal behavior & body language is what they pick up along the way, like jackdaws - any shiny thing, valuable or trash, truth or fiction.

I am glad to hear that the book stresses the falsehood of 'dominance' & explains many times that aggressive behavior or resistance are due to fear, not "trying to take charge".
I don't know if i'll buy it for myself, but i might buy it to share with clients - however, if i do, i'll add marginal notes. :D Nope, not kidding.

- terry

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back