The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Nightmare Groomer

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I am so sorry for your experience. I can't believe a competent groomer would do this to a dog.
My groomer is fantastic, no cages and anxious pet owners (like me) can stay.
Dudley still doesn't enjoy any part of it although he is extremely good.
I consider her a friend and trust her completely
That is exactly how I felt about my previous groomer, we miss her so much but as we moved from London to Hampshire last year it would be a 6-7 hour round trip.

How does he behave for U, when combing him at home?
Would U consider doing it at home, on yer own?

A less-fulsome coat is a good start for any beginner, so I'd consider finding a coat-length somewhere between "tennis-ball" & floor-length side skirts. It would be easier to maintain, tangle less, & take less time to comb.
Also, teaching him to co-operate is easier at home - U can break his grooming into 10-minute segments over several days, while a groomer with a salon & 6 dogs scheduled cannot. If he learns to relax & enjoy grooming, it can only make it easier for both yer dog & any future groomer - especially if that groomer is YOU.

can U trim his claws without an argument?

here's a good how-to for teaching happy claw-trims:

The hooked scissors used to cut claws are my preference - whatever U choose, I would NOT use guillotine-type claw cutters, as those use ONE blade & an anvil-face opposite it to "whack" the claw short. The razor-type blade builds up to a critical pressure on the claw, which abruptly fails catastrophically, & the "WHAM!" impact travels clear up the leg to the shoulder, with bone-conducted noise from the digit up the leg to the eardrum. :eek:

Having taken just the tip off one claw, click! & reward, let him go.
Later, take just the tip from another, click! & reward, let him go.
Don't be cheap, use pea-sized but very high-value tidbits.
And so on... he only has to learn it in brief increments, short happy pain-free installments. :)
U can also teach him to tolerate a file to take the sharp edges off after clipping [move only in ONE direction, down each side, --> toward the tip of the claw -- never, ever up toward the body, against the direction of growth, as this can weaken or split a claw.

I encourage all my clients to do their own grooming, as it's the best way to see or feel any lumps, bumps, scrapes, bruises, ticks, etc, plus YOU control how the dog is handled, controlled, & restrained.
Safer for everyone - no clipper burns, no traumatic memories.

- terry

How does he behave for U, when combing him at home?
Would U consider doing it at home, on yer own?

A less-fulsome coat is a good start for any beginner, so I'd consider finding a coat-length somewhere between "tennis-ball" & floor-length side skirts. It would be easier to maintain, tangle less, & take less time to comb.
Also, teaching him to co-operate is easier at home - U can break his grooming into 10-minute segments over several days, while a groomer with a salon & 6 dogs scheduled cannot. If he learns to relax & enjoy grooming, it can only make it easier for both yer dog & any future groomer - especially if that groomer is YOU.

can U trim his claws without an argument?

here's a good how-to for teaching happy claw-trims:

The hooked scissors used to cut claws are my preference - whatever U choose, I would NOT use guillotine-type claw cutters, as those use ONE blade & an anvil-face opposite it to "whack" the claw short. The razor-type blade builds up to a critical pressure on the claw, which abruptly fails catastrophically, & the "WHAM!" impact travels clear up the leg to the shoulder, with bone-conducted noise from the digit up the leg to the eardrum. :eek:

Having taken just the tip off one claw, click! & reward, let him go.
Later, take just the tip from another, click! & reward, let him go.
Don't be cheap, use pea-sized but very high-value tidbits.
And so on... he only has to learn it in brief increments, short happy pain-free installments. :)
U can also teach him to tolerate a file to take the sharp edges off after clipping [move only in ONE direction, down each side, --> toward the tip of the claw -- never, ever up toward the body, against the direction of growth, as this can weaken or split a claw.

I encourage all my clients to do their own grooming, as it's the best way to see or feel any lumps, bumps, scrapes, bruises, ticks, etc, plus YOU control how the dog is handled, controlled, & restrained.
Safer for everyone - no clipper burns, no traumatic memories.

- terry

Hi Terry, thank you so much for your advice. Brushing/combing has never a problem for me doing it as I have always done it regularly since he was a young puppy same as cleaning his teeth and ears, he is happy for me to do it all. I used to feel confident clipping his nails when he was young as they where not so hard but would now rather have them done professionally. I am also concerned that his coat will not grow back as beautifully long and silky and soft as it was prior to his horrendous scalping, I have been told by other cocker spaniels that it may grow back woolly, what are your thoughts. He is only now back to himself as far as his trusting me goes, he was very wary if we were going out in the car or if I happened to walk in the direction of the groomers who is only a 5 min walk from my home in case I was taking him back there. I put that down to him being traumatised by being locked in a cage for god knows how long before collecting him although I arrived 15 mins before I was due to get him..
It will be a real shame if he does not regrow his wonderful coat, he is a show type cocker after all but if it doesn't it's not the end of the world I will always love him just as much, he's my world.

I don't understand why short-clipping would change the coat's texture -

dogs who undergo surgery really ARE scalped, the coat isn't just "cut" over the surgical field, they're surgically shaved so that the skin is nude, but if U see them 6-mos later, U can't tell where the op was, unless U part the hair & can find the scar.
He's not a pup, he's an adult, so I can't see his coat changing enormously unless he's affected by malnourishment - poor absorption, poor digestion, terrible diet, etc; we can't control poor digestion or absorption, but we CAN compensate for those, & a poor diet is unlikely, as he lives with U.

- terry

I'm so sorry for your experience, both with the groomer and other forum. It's a really bad cut and there's a run of shorter hair on his hind leg?! Hopefully it will grow back soon. As far as dealing with the groomer. Have you contacted her directly? That would be my first route. I would have been really annoyed. I have a cocker spaniel too but he isn't long coated like yours so only been to the groomers once.

I'm so sorry for your experience, both with the groomer and other forum. It's a really bad cut and there's a run of shorter hair on his hind leg?! Hopefully it will grow back soon. As far as dealing with the groomer. Have you contacted her directly? That would be my first route. I would have been really annoyed. I have a cocker spaniel too but he isn't long coated like yours so only been to the groomers once.
Thank you for your comment. It is not only the dreadful unnecessary way in which my poor boy was completely shaved I'm angry about but the trauma of being locked in a cage, there was absolutely no need to do that. He is still not himself. I told the groomer exactly how I wanted him groomed and that under no circumstances was my dog to be caged but he was and the groomer tried to hide the fact. I have spoken to the groomer but she thinks I'm over reacting yet when I pointed out that her own Cocker Spaniel (who looks the double of mine before the scalping) is not shaved short she got all defensive and said he's a show dog.....well so is mine only I choose not to show him as he is a pet. I could have knocked her teeth down her throat. I have informed every dog owner in the village and surrounding areas about her and also every grooming sight I can find her on and leaving very negative reviews....that's all I can in the hope this doesn't happen to any other dog.

Did she explain why she had shaved your dog? And tell her you would like a full refund or you will be contacting an ombudsman.

I couldn't bring myself to add to this- it seemed so awful. I've got a lemon roan boy too. Has your boy's coat grown back and has he got over it? (I suppose he's been cool in this hot weather but what a price to pay!)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back