The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Nightmare Groomer

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Oh what a shame @Barnyboy :( A groomer did this to a gorgeous Shih tzu I sometimes walk - I turned up and her gorgeous fringe had been completely shaved off!! :eek: she looked like a completely different dog.

Sometimes I get the impression that people think you are overreacting when you tell them things like 'please don't crate' because they are your dog and you can be sensitive to that. I asked our vets if I was able to stay with Dennis until he was anaesthetised because he would never leave willingly with someone he doesn't know or trust and I couldn't stand thinking about him waiting in the back until they were ready for the op. I'm sure they looked at me like ' Uh Oh we have another one of those owners in!'

Oh what a shame @Barnyboy :( A groomer did this to a gorgeous Shih tzu I sometimes walk - I turned up and her gorgeous fringe had been completely shaved off!! :eek: she looked like a completely different dog.

Sometimes I get the impression that people think you are overreacting when you tell them things like 'please don't crate' because they are your dog and you can be sensitive to that. I asked our vets if I was able to stay with Dennis until he was anaesthetised because he would never leave willingly with someone he doesn't know or trust and I couldn't stand thinking about him waiting in the back until they were ready for the op. I'm sure they looked at me like ' Uh Oh we have another one of those owners in!'
If you had seen some of the shocking comments left on Pet Forum Community you wouldn't believe so called animal lovers could be so cruel. One nasty woman put a photo of her bald head on my post, ok so she said she has cancer but that is nothing to joke about for a start, then quipped "O dear look at my baldly head I hope it grows back ha ha" Well lets just I have been banned from that site because of my response. I wouldn't normally lower myself but I couldn't help defending my Barny.

What is wrong with people! :eek: I’d have to respond too and wouldn't want to be part of a forum whose members behaved like that!

What is wrong with people! :eek: I’d have to respond too and wouldn't want to be part of a forum whose members behaved like that!
I put up my response and was going to leave the site anyway, just that admin beat me to
I was going to leave anyway, I just wanted to make sure the nasty bald woman saw my reply to her nastiness before I left then admin banned me before I got a chance to leave....:)

Some forums are funny places and attract funny people... Others, like this one, are lovely:)

I once had a grooming accident :oops: I was doing my son's hair with the clippers - no.3 all over I think - and after doing him all over, then putting the angled guides on to go round the ears, then taking them off again, I decided to have another go over the back to get some stragglers but forgot to put the no.3 guide back on... Can you imagine my thoughts as this completely bald 2" stripe materialised right up the back of his head while he was completely oblivious to what he'd done?:eek:

I left there a while back due to little groups ganging up on people.

Some forums are funny places and attract funny people... Others, like this one, are lovely:)

I once had a grooming accident :oops: I was doing my son's hair with the clippers - no.3 all over I think - and after doing him all over, then putting the angled guides on to go round the ears, then taking them off again, I decided to have another go over the back to get some stragglers but forgot to put the no.3 guide back on... Can you imagine my thoughts as this completely bald 2" stripe materialised right up the back of his head while he was completely oblivious to what he'd done?:eek:

Snap... I did that to my eldest son ! Luckily there was a bit of a trend going on where the boys had the whole head really short except for a tuft of fringe and so I rearranged the mess and made it look deliberate!

If you had seen some of the shocking comments left on Pet Forum Community you wouldn't believe so called animal lovers could be so cruel. One nasty woman put a photo of her bald head on my post, ok so she said she has cancer but that is nothing to joke about for a start, then quipped "O dear look at my baldly head I hope it grows back ha ha" Well lets just I have been banned from that site because of my response. I wouldn't normally lower myself but I couldn't help defending my Barny.

That is utterly ridiculous! completely besides the point of your discussion. Also, it's your dog and if you say you don't want something (shaved eyebrows etc) then that's your decision to make!

I can honestly say that there is no nastiness on this forum and it wouldn't be allowed. Oh we have our heated discussions and we all have our own opinions but that we are entitled to.

Always so much great advice and kind words from our members!

Oh no Judy - how did he take it? :eek: I also did something very similar to Olivers hair and lets just say I won't be going anywhere near clippers again let alone his hair...

Oh no Judy - how did he take it? :eek: I also did something very similar to Olivers hair and lets just say I won't be going anywhere near clippers again let alone his hair...

Remarkably well, considering! Because he has seborrheic dermatitis he said he'd been considering shaving the whole lot anyway. And it did grow back very quickly... It sounds like there's a few of us here who would never make good dog groomers :D

Well we have to learn somewhere, where better than on own family. I did the same thing years ago when my husband got fed up paying £25 for a 5 minute hair cut, forgot to put a guard on right at the start...couldn't have been all that bad because 10 years later I'm still saving him a fortune lol......sorry laughing my head off here lol I like a good laugh but not at my poor Barny's expense :-(

Oh my word... I doubt I would have been able to restrain myself..Even from your photo the patchyness and unevenness of the clip are obvious .. His back leg has a run much shorter than the rest.
Go to your local trading standards or trading association and complain to them if this person is doing this more often they need to know they might also be able to advise on any further steps you can take.
Also any professional assoiciation if this groomer is supposed to be qualified. If you think your dog needs to be re-groomed or have some kind of damage limitation from this you could claim on the groomers public liabilty insurence (that is if they have any) lastly...if the groomer gets nasty about refunding you or paying for a new groomer and you feel there has been financal loss,( you can start with the £45 youve paid) you could go to small claims court. An online application only costs £25 for claims up to £300

As for nasty comments ,I cannot understand why anyone would target you for that you went to what should have been a professional groomer they messed up not you..

Lastly @JudyN had some good points in her post, please try not to let your dog pick up on how you feel about this and try to make the next grooming session a happy fun experience.

I'm not sure that I should do this but,,,,just found the groomer in questions web site and the following is what she actually has to say about herself:

I am a true dog lover and I have 2 dogs English Cocker Spaniels. I have been grooming since 2000 and I am a strong believer in qualifications, I have the recognised professional City & Guild’s level 2 and 3 in dog grooming and I am working towards gaining the City and Guilds higher diploma in dog grooming.
I am one of a few dog grooming salons to hold City & Guilds qualifications so it makes me one of the more qualified dog groomers in the local area.
I have two members of staff working with me, my sister Kristie she is a trainee dog groomer and Karen she is City & Guilds qualified level 2 and 3 gaining a distinction in dog grooming.

My word how did she manage to get her certificates

Does she have a Facebook page? If she is happy with her standards, she should appreciate customers posting before and after photos of their dogs. As they say, a picture tells a thousand words ;)

I guess your poor dog was groomed by "my sister Kristie she is a trainee dog groomer" rather than the owner

I guess your poor dog was groomed by "my sister Kristie she is a trainee dog groomer" rather than the owner

Now here's a strange thing, the person that highly recommended the nightmare groomer was none other than that same sister Kristie who no longer works there now because happens to have her own dog grooming salon about half a mile away. I had been to Kristie first to see if she could fit Barny in. What I may not have mentioned at the start is that I am new to the area having only moved to the village from London last year so I'm still finding my way around. I have done so mush ground work in the last could of days it's surprising what you can find out.... in the words of Alice in wonderland it get curiouser and curiouser.

Does she have a Facebook page? If she is happy with her standards, she should appreciate customers posting before and after photos of their dogs. As they say, a picture tells a thousand words ;)
I totally agree with you and believe me I have considered doing just that but she and her family ie parents and grandparents are local to the village and I'm a newbie. Can you imagine what life would be like for me if I did something like that. I love living here and I'm sure I will eventually find a groomer I can trust even if I have to travel to other areas.
I don't know enough people that could leave bad comments on her facebook page, that would be a start, my mind is working over tome all the time thinking of a way to get her struck off but that is really being vindictive and that's not my way.

Can you imagine what life would be like for me if I did something like that.

Yeah, I understand - and also that you don't want to be vindictive for the sake of it, tempting as it is. But if you posted the photos without saying 'Look what she did to my dog!' - you could just say something like 'What a transformation!', or even 'He should feel much cooler now' - then she or anyone else can't possibly object without making it clear that they think it's a terrible job. If they think it was acceptable, then they can't object to you posting it.

Still - that's me with my logical brain installed, and the groomer & her friends and family may not reason in the same way. Going down the legal route may be more trouble and stress than it's worth, too - but hopefully, when you meet other dog walkers they are likely to ask you where you got it done and you can tell them.

BTW, he is absolutely beautiful in the before shot and he'll be beautiful again very soon:)

thinking of a way to get her struck off

Struck off from what though - I understand there is an organisation that groomers may join if they choose to, but it isn't a required registration like the ones that vets, doctors, nurses and dentists have to be a member of in order to practice.

I am so sorry for your experience. I can't believe a competent groomer would do this to a dog.
My groomer is fantastic, no cages and anxious pet owners (like me) can stay.
Dudley still doesn't enjoy any part of it although he is extremely good.
I consider her a friend and trust her completely

What a shame for your poor dog :( As others have said, Trading Standards and one of the review sites might be a start. I hope it gets resolved to both of your satisfaction.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back