The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

No Limit

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
DENISE BAILEY said:
Just going off topic here lol  :- " But did anyone else notice the Merrel collie + whippet that weighed in on Sunday, it nearly took Bruce's hand off  (w00t) ....26lb bitch ..cannot remember what they called it , but when i asked for there cards they walked away

yes it looked great i thought

Tony Taylor said:
gary farmer said:
and yes i do take it as a insult when you call magical dream a greyhound none of the other pups out of the litter are mentioned mandies dream 42lb  penny black 40lb  magical stag 49lb also molly stag ..............................
COME ON SUE AND COME ON ERNIE WERE BOTH GIVEN THE SAME TITLE

SUE WAS 49LB AND ERNIE WAS 52LB AND 24" TO THE SHOLDER NEVER SEEN A GREYHOUND DOG THAT SMALL IN MY LIFE.

THERE SCRATCH DOGS    :rant:   :rant:     GARY

Molly stag is a 3/4 ghd 1/4 whippet ( it's even more ghd than that but perhaps we can ignore Black Venture) and was mated to a ghd to produce Magical Dreams. I'm guessing that the mating wasn't expected to produce many handicap weight dogs but to produce dogs to run in scratch races. Nothing wrong with that. No rules have been broken here. Given Grahams prevoius history of dogs I'm guessing he likes big dogs that he can bend race and perhaps have a crack at the ghds in the sprint bend races. Nothing wrong with that either and he hasn't broken any rules in winning his titles.

Ditto Miss Ellie who is a 3/4 ghd 1/4 whippet ( agaim more ghd than that but again perhaps we can ignore Black Fox and Pigalle Glory) who was mated to a ghd to produce Come on Ernie and Come on Sue.

Whether you think it's fair or not to run against 7/8 ghd 1/8 whippets is immaterial unless the rules are changed as scratch racing isn't exclusive AFAIK.

[SIZE=14pt] I'M NOT IN FAVOUR OF CAPPING THE NO LIMIT OR EXCLUDING DOGS BY WAY OF BREEDING[/SIZE]

phew hope that's clear :D

Of course geneticaly a 7/8 ghd 1/8 whippet isn't the case for these dogs above. There is independant assortment of chromatids in meiosis so the actual amount of grandparents genes passed on can vary from 0 to 50% with the assumption from the fractional notation it will be 25%. The number of genes that differentiate a whippet from a ghd is likely to be very small. Once genes are lost through reduction in meiosis they are gone for good and cannot be expressed again in future offspring. Clearly it's easy to breed the whippet genes out of a line by constant outcrossing to ghds and if this is the case it's just semantics that differenciate between any such offspring being a ghd or a scratch dog because geneticaly such offspring will be identical to ghds.

You sound like Brian Plummer Tony :D

THIS TOPIC STARTED OF WELL BUT NOW I FEEL IT GETTING BORING GOOD LUCK TO EVERONE WHATEVER SIZE AND WEIGHT YOUR DOGS ARE.

BIG OR SMALL AT THE END OF THE DAY THEY ARE OUR PETS SO COME ON GET ON WITH YOUR RACING AND ENJOY IT INSTEAD OF DRAGGING THE SPORT DOWN.

here one for us all to think about i love a biggun lol :- " at the end of the day with clubs finding it hard to bring in money id say a lot of money that comes in during the season is from the scracth dogs and n/limits i remember a few yrs ago when i had a 36lb dog jacko id travell miles to have one run or most of th time a solo i think its good fun to see the littluns and bigguns running its all our sport which we love,and as for saying this dog is bred to this and this dog think this is how line are started.

here one for us all to think about i love a biggun lol :- " at the end of the day with clubs finding it hard to bring in money id say a lot of money that comes in during the season is from the scracth dogs and n/limits i remember a few yrs ago when i had a 36lb dog jacko id travell miles to have one run or most of th time a solo i think its good fun to see the littluns and bigguns running its all our sport which we love,and as for saying this dog is bred to this and this dog think this is how line are started.

yeah i know but this will make you smile i did that 3 times lol told you i was good :- "

I'd be more impressed if it was I've a bigun! (w00t) I've got visions now of Tony rubbing his errrr pup repeating I want a bigun, I want a bigun, I want a bigun!! :lol:

Let me make it quiet clear, I personally do not wish to cap scratch dogs and neither will the I.R.G. I also like to make clear that as a preference I do not wish to own or run a scratch dog but there are plenty that do prefer the large end of the market so to speak. For those who wish to breed smaller dogs do so by choice of stud and Bitch and no doubt look into the back breeding. Too make this easier why not revert back to the old handicap system of a limit of 28 lb and opening the light weights up to 14 to 16lbs, no doubt that this suggestion would be controversial especially for those with the 28 lb plus dogs who would have to run in the scratch class. If the object of this proposal is to bring the size of none ped whippets back to a smaller breed then this may help. How many times have we all seen a nice looking under 16lb whippet been given to a pet home because it cannot make the weight, a waste of good breeding stock I think. Scratch racing is what it says, made for those dogs that by nature or breeding have gone over the maximum required handicap mark. To me it seems foolish in this day and age to turn any dogs away from our sport and if a person comes with 5 Labradors and requires a race why not accommodate him, he may be the next one to buy a racing whippet to keep the club and the sport going.

i certainly think changing weight classes back to 28lb wouldnt be a step forward.ive no problem with lowering for 14lb or 15 lb but running 29lb dogs with 56lb dogs of levels wouldnt be safe never mind fair. i think it was people moaning about weight difference of scratch dogs was the debate not to make the gap larger

CHRIS

Last edited by a moderator:
In the (good old days) scratch was scratch and all in, there must have been a big variation of weights even then, I cant ever remember size as a problem when it was only one class of scratch. But in this modern day i take your point chris.

only just read all 11 pages and all i can say is same old same old leave the scr alone if ppl dont want to run their dogs with the other scr dogs thats their choice if ppl want little dogs thats their choice as is owning a big dog its our choice and who do ppl think they are trying to get rid of big dogs .ppl were trying to do this when i packed in whippet racing and there still trying to do it now WHY cos theyve nowt better to do (w00t)

as for ppl running ghds with whippets

WHO DOES THAT???

simpson said:
if ppl dont want to run their dogs with the other scr dogs thats their choice if ppl want little dogs thats their choice
Well that's the whole point isn't it?

There were 3 entrants for the No Limit at NNWRF champs and 3 heats and 11 dogs of the smaller weight group of 40lb. It's not as if there are more No Limit dogs about than 40lbers. At NNWRF straight champs there was equal numbers of No Limit and 40lb dogs. When you consider that 2 of the 3 entrants in the No Limit at champs don't do straights you have to ask what the hell happened to all the other No Limit dogs ?

In the handicap dogs are separated into 2lb weight groups so that dogs of equal size race against each other and it's the best dog of that size that wins. Even the scratch dogs are separated into 3 classes in the BWRA and 2 classes in the NNWRF presumely for the same reason.

It seems universaly agreed amongst scratch racers that no one wants to cap the no limit or stop any dogs from running. Amongst the scratch racers there seems from comments made here to be a majority in favour of changing the scratch weight splits so there is more equality in the size of dogs in the scratch races and no one who is actually running a dog appears to be dead against the idea.

HEY MR QUOTE GIVE IT REST YOUR STARTING TO BORE ME NOW,IF I WANT TO RACE GREYHOUNDS WHATS IT TO YOU,IF I WANT TO RACE NON PEDS WHATS IT TO YOU

john m said:
In the (good old days) scratch was scratch and all in, there must have been a big variation of weights even then, I cant ever remember size as a problem when it was only one class of scratch. But in this modern day i take your point chris.

And nearly all the scr dogs were greyhounds ....A few names of scr dogs that run at aycliffe.....The Fonze , The Dutchman, AC/DC...can remember alot of match racing too

Last edited by a moderator:
TONY WHICH PART OF THE WORD NO-LIMIT ARE YOU HAVING TROUBLE UNDERSTANDING IT QUITE SIMPLE YOU KNOW.

NO-LIMIT MEANS NO-LIMIT AND DONT GIVE ME THAT CRAP ABOUT GREYHOUNDS

PEOPLE WILL RUN THERE DOGS WERE AND WHEN THEY WANT TO LIKE I DO

I COULD UNDERSTAND IF WE WERE RUNNING FOR A ALOT OF MONEY BUT WERE NOT AND I FOR ONE WOULD SOONER PUT THE MONEY BACK INTO THE SPORT RATHER THAN GIVE OUT PRIZE MONEY JUST MY OPINION.

TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH WHICH EVER WAY ITS GO GOES I DONT GIVE A DAM

IF I DONT LIKE IT I ILL NOT DO IT AND THE SAME GOES FOR YOU IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO RACE YOU DOGS IN THE NO LIMIT ON THE BENDS DONT DO IT

ITS THAT SIMPLE.

ITS A FACT OF LIFE YOU KNOW YOU ONLY GET OUT OF IT WHAT YOU PUT IN IT AND THE SAME GOES WITH RACING DOGS SO JUST CONCENTRATE ON YOUR DOGS AND DONT WORRY ABOUT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE ARE DOING.

il just point out that i have a no limit scratch dog, whisper whizz, i dont race him on the bends. hes goes round the bends ok hes just not fast enuf imo he is more of a sprinter ie if straight races were over 100yds he,d prob win every time lol so the reason i dont do the bends with him has absolutly NOTHING to do with the size of the other no limit dogs. if he was fast enuf on the bends then he wud run the bends.

DENISE BAILEY said:
john m said:

And nearly all the scr dogs were greyhounds ....A few names of scr dogs that run at aycliffe.....The Fonze , The Dutchman, AC/DC...can remember alot of match racing too

IT WAS FONZIE DEE AND HE WAS ONLY 44LD AND PEOPLE CLASSED HIM AS A GREYHOUND LOL

Well No surrender run off wth Magical Dreams today. And this is the best race I have seen all year. Only getting beat about 2. So what about time's it's bend racing anythink can happen. Thanks to the owners of both dogs they give us all something to watch today. :cheers:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back