The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Older dogs

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Well not being one of those people, my advice stands...having seen older dogs in rescue just not able to come back from say an e-coli infection after a week of poor nutrition. (And actually I think most people do know the difference between fat and normal- they just chose to deny it- both in dogs and themselveso_O!)

The 'denial' thing is a big issue in our society and crosses over all sorts of excesses, not just excess weight. I was at our vet's today for Rufus' annual checkup and they've got a model you can run your hand across as a guide to how defined the rib cage should be in a healthy animal. Can't deny that one; assuming it's accurate, any dog's weight health can be gauged. He's lost a little weight since last time and so we'll be giving him an extra 50 grams or so every day and see how that works out (450gms to 500gms). Apart from that he's a fine specimen in his 11th year and was running about like a loon on his afternoon walk today.

The 'denial' thing is a big issue in our society and crosses over all sorts of excesses, not just excess weight. I was at our vet's today for Rufus' annual checkup and they've got a model you can run your hand across as a guide to how defined the rib cage should be in a healthy animal. Can't deny that one; assuming it's accurate, any dog's weight health can be gauged. He's lost a little weight since last time and so we'll be giving him an extra 50 grams or so every day and see how that works out (450gms to 500gms). Apart from that he's a fine specimen in his 11th year and was running about like a loon on his afternoon walk today.
Just came across this link Dangers of doggy obesity - My Best Friend dog Care which is pretty hard-hitting but absolutely reinforces the dangers of obesity. It also mentions the 'rib test' as a rough guide. Anyone who could read it, see evidence of obesity in their own pet and ignore it (unless of course it's a purely medical condition) should have their own ribs checked!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back