The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Other Dog Breeds Compatible With Whippies

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I think it would be easier to mention breeds that dont get along :D Here is my imput she also has 2 others shepherds and a doberman in her life and is boss over the lot of them :wub:

Picture283.jpg

Picture290.jpg

Picture293.jpg

I HAVE 4 WHIPPETS 1 GREYHOUND AND A AMERICAN BULL DOG WHO THINKS HE A WHIPPET THEY ALL GET ON BRILLANT

I like very much the idea of reversing it to 'breeds whippets DONT get along with'.... :cheers:

Echo had a huge amount of fun in the park this morning with a Jrt. But I think he would get on her nerves at home, when she is in sofa collapse mode.

It's an interesting choice to make, anyhow and I very much enjoy hearing about all your dogs and breed combinations.

Pappillons are so pretty, I woulds like to meet some - you dont see them very often. And you're right about bedlingtons being rare, the only place I've ever seen them is at the discover dogs show.

I'm starting to want to own loads of dogs, here... (w00t)

Why not just go for another whippet? After all, one's never enough :wub: , they definitely love their own kind, and they match each other in the sleepy stakes! Or a Beddie x whippet might be an option? Whatever you go for, good luck and have fun!

kitty said:
daledogs, I love dachsunds! But I hear they shouldnt jump on to the furniture  because they may damage thier backs... and of course Echo is always on the sofas! Also my house has a lot of stairs, which are hard or imposible for dachsunds? or am I thinking only of the miniature type here?

Echo loves to  play ball in the park, she is a great retriever. Is there a problem when you have a second dog who runs much slower?!

I was thinking of compatible energy levels... and collies are  the opposite of whippies arent they? very high energy? very intelligent and demanding?

ARE bedlingtons hard work? I didnt know  that. The terrier temperament, or something more specific?

Thanks for these responses and pics too are great to see. :thumbsup:

they can be know to have back problems,but i have never had that yet,i have a mini longhaired who nearly fifteen and a mini smooth haired who is 16 months,here a photo of him cuddled with the others.

Hi I have a Beagle and a Boxer with my two whippets and whippetX.

I previously had another boxer with them as well.

Almost any dog from the hound group is pretty much a given for being good to go with whippets since all the hound group breeds tend to be more "packy" than the guarding types ,herding types etc.

A pair of working whippets and a working terrier (prefferbly a border)

Poetry in motion ;)

Shame the wife won't let me have a terrier :(

sallyC that dog is really charming! I bet he finds a home pretty pronto. I am still at the thinking about stage not ready to go get a 2nd dog just immediately.

thinking about it is fun ~ and we've only had ~echo 4 weeks. she was a rescue dog, and is really starting to show more and more of her personality each day. At first I she was pretty nervous and stand - offish with most dogs. Today for the first time she initiated play in the park - with a massive Irish wolfhound! So I guess she will be easier to companion then I thought!

I love the basket FULL of dog, daledogs! that is FANTASTIC!

I guess I had something vaguely in mind like what whippets_rule said, about different types of dogs. hounds, herder, guard etc. whereas pappillon's and dachsunds come into a different heading all together, the technical term for them is 'cute'... ;) I dont actually know what thier "doggy natures" are.

When I got Echo I developed an allergy to her. After laying out tons and tons of dosh on air purifiers and allergy sprays etc, i seem to be a LOT LOT better. But I stll would need to get a dog that doesnt moult tons.

Last edited by a moderator:
kitty said:
sallyC that dog is really charming! I bet he finds a home pretty pronto. I am still at the thinking about stage not ready to go get a 2nd dog just immediately.
thinking about it is fun ~ and we've only had ~echo 4 weeks. she was a rescue dog, and is  really starting to show more and more of her personality each day. At first I  she  was pretty nervous and stand - offish with most dogs. Today for the first time she  initiated play in the park - with a massive Irish wolfhound! So I guess she will be easier to  companion then I thought!

I love the basket FULL of dog, daledogs! that is FANTASTIC!

I guess I had something  vaguely in mind  like what whippets_rule said, about  different types of  dogs. hounds, herder, guard etc. whereas pappillon's and dachsunds come into a different  heading all together, the technical term for them is 'cute'... ;)   I dont actually know what thier "doggy natures" are.

When I got Echo I developed an allergy to her. After laying  out tons and tons of dosh on air purifiers and  allergy sprays etc, i seem to be a LOT LOT better. But I stll would need to get a dog that doesnt moult tons.

Daxies fall into the hound group too ;) there are an awful lot of whippet people who also have Daxies as they do get on so well,being what Whippets Rule called them "packy" brilliant term btw! :thumbsup: I guess temp is very important with whippets as their skin can tear more easily than say a retriever's,so you don't really want dog fights on your hands :(

Good luck with whatever you decide :luck:

SallyC Lucy is a real cracker! :wub: I bet she is away in a flash :thumbsup:

agree "packy" is brillaint term - useful way of thinking about it.

Thanks everyone, for sharing thoughts and lovely pics. :cheers:

SallyC Lucy is a real cracker! :wub: I bet she is away in a flash :thumbsup:

I agree - Lucy the terrier is a right cracker - me thinks she will be rehomed pretty pronto - what lovely markings and cute expression!

Little Minx - I think your GSD is a smasher - a real handsome chap!

daledogs said:
dachshunds are ideal with whippets :wub:
I agree with that completely my dachshund was paralysed and my whippet x bedlington nursed him back to health and even carries him upstairs to bed xxxx

018.jpg

The photo of miniature smooth haired dachshund in the big pile of whippets is great!!!! just like our house.........

002.jpg

We have 2 Whippies,1 Viszla,a Bichon Frise and Long Haired Chihuahua

They all get along fab! (most of the time :- " )

Scarlett and Kai- new scarf u got there Kai?

KaisNewScarf.jpg

My friends! Alfie with both Stirling and Kai

AlfieandTheBoys.jpg

Leo prefers keeping company with the cat!

Leo14years.jpg

Enjoy looking for ur new dog! :huggles:

Last edited by a moderator:
my daughters 5 whippets and my jack russells get on great together.the terries have a ball playing chase with the whippys and tire each other out.then they come home and snuggle up together and go to sleep.i think whippets and terriers are a great combination :thumbsup:

:) We have two rescued g/hounds and one border terrier (did have two but sadly only one now) Ozzy loves Buster :huggles: but Buster is knocking on now and doesnt want to play.... -_-

mixed066.jpg

and the greys are even older and suffer from sleeping sickness :- " :lol:

I have whippets greyhounds and an irish setter they all get on great once the hounds got used to the hairy resident :oops: .They weren't sure at first as she was a very hairy pup and it seemed to frighten them.

The main thing is with her is that she is a high energy dog and to tire her out you have to run one whippet at a time as they haven't the stamina to run like she does she is constantly on the move.

Before we had Zoe we had a GSD and he adored the whippets to the extent that one day in boarding kennels he tried to climb out pof his run because she moved his whippets to a kennel were he couldn't see them.

robbo_10 said:
daledogs said:
dachshunds are ideal with whippets :wub:
I agree with that completely my dachshund was paralysed and my whippet x bedlington nursed him back to health and even carries him upstairs to bed xxxx

018.jpg

Awwwwwwwww bless.....................They are lovely together,but they get their moments just like any other breed.

What wonderful doggy families everyone has. Here we are greyhound, lurcher and whippet. They all get on great together. Penny and I go to puppy training and I must say that although Penny gets on well with all dogs she has a definate pull to the hound breed. Maybe it is because she is used to being the smallest. Her very best friend at the class is a Deerhound. They both make a beline to each other when given the chance. Our teacher always says that the hound group really like their own.

Have fun deciding on your next dog. It is so exciting thinking of all the possibilities.

Good luck.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back