The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Oxfordshire Walk Anyone?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
How long do you recon it would take me to get there, from Bristol??

Would be good to see esme

Walk is still on, we're really looking forward to it. Would people think it wrong if I posted the directions on here if so I will pm them to anyone interested.

Olivia

If everyone who wants to come PMs me their email address I will send a map and directions.

Do we know how many dogs and bitches? I am trying to decide who of mine I should bring. I am leaning towards the girls but Rupert is exercised with them. He can be gobby but is not dangerous!!! Having said that, Bertha is probably just as gobby with dogs she has not met before but is actually OK as well.

I hope nobody is likely to bring a GSD with them because my lot hate them with a passion!!!

Hi,

I'm glad it's still on, and I don't really see a problem with posting directions but maybe I'm not a good judge of these things (got reminded a few weeks ago that it's not a good idea to put my home telephone on here :b )

Please can we have it from the nearest motorway or I think maybe the M40? Probably got this completely wrong, but I am a woman and I am blonde (albeit out of a bottle (w00t) )

dessie said:
Do we know how many dogs and bitches?  I am trying to decide who of mine I should bring.  I am leaning towards the girls but Rupert is exercised with them.  He can be gobby but is not dangerous!!!  Having said that, Bertha is probably just as gobby with dogs she has not met before but is actually OK as well. 
I hope nobody is likely to bring a GSD with them because my lot hate them with a passion!!!

Two dogs coming with me and I wouldn't worry about the gobbiness, we all know they'll be fine after the inital frenzy (w00t)

TC said:
Hi,Please can we have it from the nearest motorway or I think maybe the M40? Probably got this completely wrong, but I am a woman and I am blonde (albeit out of a bottle  (w00t) )

It's fairly straightforward from the A34. :thumbsup: There's a map on the way to anyone who's interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
moriarte said:
TC said:
Hi,Please can we have it from the nearest motorway or I think maybe the M40? Probably got this completely wrong, but I am a woman and I am blonde (albeit out of a bottle  (w00t) )

It's fairly straightforward from the A34. :thumbsup: There's a map on the way to anyone who's interested.

Ah yes, I know it well :b :- "

Looking forward to getting the directions......................

Just "Asked Jeeves" and got this.........

Port Meadow is bordered on the western edge by the Thames and for a large part of the year parts of the Meadow are flooded, bringing flocks of migratory birds. A burial ground can be found in the centre of the meadow and for these reasons the Meadow is both a SSSI and a scheduled monument.

A classic Oxford activity is to walk up the west side of the Meadow, have a pint at the Perch, and then continue up north for another pint and some roasted chestnuts and mulled wine at the Trout Inn in Wolvercote. It's approximately a 50 minute stroll to the Trout from the southern edge of the Meadow.

You can reach Port Meadow from Walton Well Road, Aristotle Lane and Wolvercote. At the eastern edge of of Port Meadow you can access Burgess Field

Is this the route we're taking :- "

Yes, that is the walk we'll be taking. I'll give the Perch a call and see what they think of dogs :- " .

I'll be brining three lurcher bitches, one spayed, two not (of which Nana is also very gobby but utterly harmless) and a little whippy puppy :wub:

I think I'll stick to Emailing people directions so get sending me your email adresses :thumbsup:

OEH said:
Yes, that is the walk we'll be taking.  I'll give the Perch a call and see what they think of dogs :- " .
They are fine with them outside, in fact it seems to be a regular meeting place for sighthoundy types. Last time there were 2 salukis and a few deerhounds all wandering around quite freely,(the pygmy goats were looking a bit anxious though, fortunately I think the wee hoofed creatures have moved on to greener pastures now) The deerhounds are regulars I think.

Kim,

Know the route from Bristol very well it well take take you about 1hour and 15 mins, or so.

Which side are you caming from?

lived there for 18 years and my mother still lives there.

sharron said:
Kim,Know the route from Bristol very well it well take take you about 1hour and 15 mins, or so.

Which side are you caming from?

lived there for 18 years and my mother still lives there.

Im not sure if i will, i would like to but i need to speak to someone first :thumbsup:

Any chance you can pm me a map and i will have a chat with who i need to (gosh sounds very james bond) what time are people meeting??

Is it wellie country or would walking shoes just be sufficient???

dessie said:
Is it wellie country or would walking shoes just be sufficient???

Blimey, hope it isn't "Wellie Country" or I'm stuffed, just bringing my old faithful walking boots (w00t)

Have you decided how many of the tribe you are bringing?

Hope no one has any objection to Ollie bringing his ball thrower, he can't go on a walk without a couple of tennis balls to chase :b :blink:

Think she's bringing half her army (w00t) so along with two of mine .......... = Millions :- " :lol: (w00t)

I must be mad, I'm soooo excited (w00t) I just love seeing my two run with other hounds, they enjoy it so much. I just think they all look amazing when they are running together

It's not that I'm not looking forward to meeting the humans :b

TC said:
Blimey, hope it isn't "Wellie Country" or I'm stuffed, just bringing my old faithful walking boots  (w00t)
You might get away with stout boots, but there is a ditch that sometimes fills up with a bit of water that has to be navigated about half way round. It's mostly just a bit squelchy.

You'll be Ok with wellies as long as you don't mind getting muddy. There is a brige you can slip over to avoid the ditch.

Balls are fine as long as Ollie doesn't mind a bit of competition for them from Nana and Josephine.

Edited to say I meant that you'll be fine with WALKING BOOTS.... (brain away somewhere else)

I'm SOOOOOO jealous!!! :( :(

Hope you all have a lovely day tomorrow, everyone, I'll be thinking of you and wishing we could be there. Next time, hopefully. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :luck:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back